Texas Miles

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I have to disagree with you on the 235 as being the top end for the Mile in these cars. I did 226 with 994rwhp. Peak supposedly has 1500? 500 hp has GOT to get this car over 240. the aerodynamics on the GT is better than the Supras IMO.

I guess we can just wait until March and see what's what. I hope everybody including yourself will bring their A game.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to the roll races in March.

+1 i agree

with 1500 rwhp and a set of sticky tires 240+ mph is no problem as long as you have the boost increase with each gear shift.

1st gear = 800 rwhp
2nd gear = 900 rwhp
3rd gear = 1000 rwhp
4th gear = 1100 rwhp
5th gear = 1300 rwhp
6th gear = 1500 rwhp

the biggest advantage that the Supra has over the GT is the bility to do 246 mph in 5th gear. if somebody can get a Ford GT motor to rev to 8,000 rpm's then the GT can do 246 mph in 5th gear :thumbsup

streetking

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2008
+1 i agree

with 1500 rwhp and a set of sticky tires 240+ mph is no problem as long as you have the boost increase with each gear shift.

1st gear = 800 rwhp
2nd gear = 900 rwhp
3rd gear = 1000 rwhp
4th gear = 1100 rwhp
5th gear = 1300 rwhp
6th gear = 1500 rwhp

the biggest advantage that the Supra has over the GT is the bility to do 246 mph in 5th gear. if somebody can get a Ford GT motor to rev to 8,000 rpm's then the GT can do 246 mph in 5th gear :thumbsup

That all sounds good on paper, Ray or someone needs to do it. I just don't think the motor will live at 1500 under load for that long. Underground tried to turn it up and see what happend at 1400+. Btw,
I am at 9350 in 5th at 246.2 and have 300 rpm left..

SW

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
good stuff SW, keep the info coming.

I do agree with you when you say "someone needs to do it". Until it happens it's all talk.

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
My pair of future Texas Milers in training...

IMG_1569copy.jpg

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
My internet has been down and just got to read this thread today. Man, all you guys at 200+ are really flying. :eek:eek:eek
I can't imagine what it must be like to be crossing the mile mark at those speeds, not to mention the braking zone afterwards. I sure tip my hat to all of you. :thumbsup
My car with stock engine, pully and tune hit 169.1 mph. Anybody know what the fastest speed was for us GTs playing in the minor leagues? :lol

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Really Soroush you just didn't say that out loud now did you :lol

hehe:biggrin

time to go test and tune:lol

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
final gear ratio

Fast Freddy - how about using the 3.90 gears?

Ed

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
249 mph = 7500 rpm's in 5th gear (.76) with the stock tire height (28.50) and stock 3.36 rear gearing :cool

Hoosier R6's and some kind of gear dependent boost output system should do the trick if the transaxle doesn't break......

http://www.f-body.org/gears/

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
That all sounds good on paper, Ray or someone needs to do it. I just don't think the motor will live at 1500 under load for that long. Underground tried to turn it up and see what happend at 1400+. Btw,
I am at 9350 in 5th at 246.2 and have 300 rpm left..

SW

the 5.4L can be bored out to 5.9L now. this will allow for HIGHER rpm's :thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
the 5.4L can be bored out to 5.9L now. this will allow for HIGHER rpm's :thumbsup

How does increasing the bore while keeping the same stroke allow for higher RPMs? If you decrease the stroke and or lighten the rods and pistons you may be able to increase the RPMs. The 5.4 is a long stroke engine that is not designed to rev.

Just get the right rear ratio to be able to pull 250 in 6th at about 7000-7100 RPM.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Well hopefully we won't have to wait until march to find out :biggrin...

bang on with the calculations in 5th gear Fast Freddy :biggrin

if we can rev to 8000k reliably then imagine the possibilities...

we will see :cheers

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
I'll buy the refreshments when y'all bust 240. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Let me say this about that: I ran a top speed of 160.2 in a totally stock car with stock tires. I felt very good about it, but kept worrying about missing the 4-5 shift. I was happy so I quit, knowing we still had lots of driving to do. I helped a lot of the other guys get ready, so while the RED cars might not have been the fastest that day, they were the nicest. My car is intact, did a lot more pleasant driving, and am happy to say I really enjoyed the day. Thanks DBK for being the visionary to set this up for us all.

Frank

PS, I made three runs before the rest of you guys even knew where the landing strip was. Only JBStevens beat me there, so maybe it's RED car owners are the fastest, not the cars themselves. It was a pleasure to be there with all of you and have real fun.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I felt very good about it, but kept worrying about missing the 4-5 shift.

I worried about every shift and had to go to all the way to 6th, knowing that a mis-shift from 3 to 2, or 4 to 3, or 6 to 5 would mean the end of my drivetrain!

160 is still a great speed for a RED car and the 1st time at such an event! :thumbsup

I never drove anywhere near what I did in the TX mile, but thank to the great engineering in the cars it was a much smoother ride that I anticipated. :thumbsup I have driven other cars to a little over 100 mph that I felt was more dangerous.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
White and Blue (when seen by the laser :rofl)

Pulley, 91 octane tune, Bridgestones

Sir Dr. Larry - My non-official, non-laser, egg timer had you at much higher speeds. From the look on your face at the end of the day I'd say 190.001 would be really close.:banana

FYI AZGT made probably more runs han anyone else. 11+. And only got three timing slips! He tried every color of racer tape availiable at the track to no avail. The side of his car looked like a christmas present designed by Andy Warhol.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I worried about every shift and had to go to all the way to 6th, knowing that a mis-shift from 3 to 2, or 4 to 3, or 6 to 5 would mean the end of my drivetrain!

160 is still a great speed for a RED car and the 1st time at such an event! :thumbsup

I never drove anywhere near what I did in the TX mile, but thank to the great engineering in the cars it was a much smoother ride that I anticipated. :thumbsup I have driven other cars to a little over 100 mph that I felt was more dangerous.

I missed the 2-3 shift twice in 2 of my runs at the Mile. Still ran 214 on one and 204 in the other. :biggrin

On my 221 mph run I noticed the driver window was down in 3rd gear so once it was in 4th I rolled it up. thankfully it was up before I had to shift into 5th.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I think your egg timer was more on the money :biggrin My wife said one run I had looked much faster than the 181. In fact, one time the display read 197.4, but then went goofy. Obviously I don't think that was real, but hey, I can't argue with the lasars ................. I am happy with the 181 no matter what. Have never done a mile event before, and have not driven the car that hard before. The car and I had a good blend that day.

I made twelve runs, but one of those the track people wanted me to do a "slow run at 125" (that makes me smile - a SLOW run at 125) to see if they could pick me up. It did.

For some reason the lasers would not get my car at the end of the run. They said that in 4 years they had not seen it before, and it was only my car. Cars before and after me were timed, other white cars were timed, and faster cars were timed. They re-aligned the lights, changed angles, etc. I was a crash test dummy for a while making runs - all were hard runs going for time except the 125 (amazing how easy that was). They wanted to see if they could figure it out before the next three days event - did not want to have the same problem.

During the course of the runs, took off hub caps, took off the side number, added blue tape, took off blue tape, added different colored tape so looked like a barber pole, etc. They just shook their heads.

Got to admit it was frustrating. I had some good runs that they did not get a time on. Would get ready to get my new high speed slip and they would shake their heads.

I do wish they could have given us quarter mile times as part of the run. I was launching pretty solid, and would be curious. Really don't want to do it again that hard, so will not do a quarter mile event - just would have been a nice added tidbit.

So, anyway I am now a groundbreaking participant and final winner in the Texas 3 Mile event with about a mile and a half of that in the 175+ range ..........

Sir Dr. Larry - My non-official, non-laser, egg timer had you at much higher speeds. From the look on your face at the end of the day I'd say 190.001 would be really close.:banana

FYI AZGT made probably more runs han anyone else. 11+. And only got three timing slips! He tried every color of racer tape availiable at the track to no avail. The side of his car looked like a christmas present designed by Andy Warhol.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

I agree Clinton, I thought the car behaived very well at speed, this was my first time going over 200, I have driven fast on the track before, but I dont think I have hit 200 before, so the propesition was a bit nerve wrecking to say the least, when I made my first pass at 189 the car felt very stable no issues at all, so that gave me the confindence to go for broke on the next run and thats exactly what I did and to my surprise the car handled wonderfully with no issues again, even during hard breaking she was poised and calm, I cant say the same about me:lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I was able to hit 175 with a Borla, but NO pully or tune. I did not have to go to 5th, was about at redline in 4th. I ran 6 or 7 times. I was going to run one more and try 5th, but was too close to the "end of the day" I wanted to head back (I left about 445)

Mar 15, 2006
The point that SW is trying to make is that it is one thing to make 1500 rw hp on a dyno for 5 seconds. It is another to do it for 20 seconds while running a mile. Jason Stevens has proven the stock GT motor capable of running 1000 rw hp reliably for 15 plus passes down the mile. But we dont know what we dont know about running at power levels greater than that. I am sure that there are pioneers like Peak and others who will seek to find out. The supra guys have gone thru the same process as is underground by running their lambos at the limit and beyond. It really just boils down to who is willing to risk their time, money, car and in some cases - their life - to attain the next level of speed. Guys have been doing this at Bonneville since the 40's. And just as soon as somebody hits 250 mph in the mile, the next guy is gonna say, "who will be the first to run 260?" ...............

Last edited: