Texas Miles

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
thank you Chip:thumbsup

It took three long months to get the project done, and I would often come into the garage and look at my baby with out an engine and think it would never be finished:frown, or worst yet I would have some problems last mintue. well the last two weeks before the rally were the hardest. things were coming to the wire and time was not on our side, however a little elbow grease and lots of persistance, help from some key friends(shadowman, brian, you all met at the rally, nick at fastlane, and tim palmer) made it possible to get the engine back in the car and running, a few days before the rally.

I had no time to really test the car except for on the dyno and things seemed within the parameters we had set for the car and as such we were ready to roll.

I had no Idea what the car was capable of and as you know I only had one chance to run over 190(my car was not tech certified for past 190):biggrin

so when I let her loose on that pass It was as much of a mystery to me as it was to everyone else that had seen the car in the parking lot setting off all of the alarms. :biggrin

all I have to say is when I made my run I had one hand on the shifter the whole time(for the nitrous button) and one on the wheel, Im going through the half mile mark looking at my gps showing speed, reading 208,209,210,211, and Im thinking I must be crazy to go well over 200 with one hand on the wheel, however I did not remove my hand from the shifter and the car passed through the mile at 217.9. what a rush!

the best part for me was the smiles of everyone I saw afterwards and the excitement the run had generated amongst the people that were there. In that one instance all of the pain, blood, sweat, busted knuckles, and the late night work sessions became worth it and then some. Im glad that I could make your day, it was my pleasure:thumbsup

Great Story Soroush ! And congratulations on the the run.:thumbsup I for one would like to have two hands on the wheel !! This is a great testament to the GT's stability and the size of your B*LLS !! :biggrin

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
Who's car is that with ontario plates? and who's car is that with the darth vader look to it?

Awesome times by the way...Wish I could've been there!

That's me, (with the Ontario plates) Thought I was going to die in the heat that day.

Thanks for posting the cool picture:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Great Story Soroush ! And congratulations on the the run.:thumbsup I for one would like to have two hands on the wheel !! This is a great testament to the GT's stability and the size of your B*LLS !! :biggrin

or the size of my brian(the lack there of :biggrin)

thanks for not saying that:biggrin

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
You guys are having too much fun. I have read all 10 pages of posts on the mile. My father passed away last Saturday and I had to cancel the whole trip, about 2hours before my GT was to be loaded on the trailer. I will be at the next one for sure. Shadowman spent a week on my car getting it "ready". It was really nice to see Lorna at my father's funeral service here in Fresno, she is a blessing in all of our lives. I heard Chip did an outstanding job on Bony's service at the lake. Thanks to Chip and Dave for all the good work the do. Richard S.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your father.

Hopefully see you next year.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I am finally now reading post #112 with a dialogue between Chip and Soroush.

Loved reading it!

If you are just now joining the thread, be sure to go back and read it. Great story.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
StreetKing, Peak and Mullett,

Houston, Tx. to Mojave mile- 1529 miles = 33 hrs and 33 mins driving time.

Midland, Tx. to Mojave Mile - 1098 miles = 23 hrs and 1 min driving time.

I bet we could get a few to come watch! I will help drive the motorhome Jason!!!! :banana

Larry

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
play nice children!:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Moderators note.

Gentlemen,

I just deleted three posts from this thread. The knowledge gained in the pursuit of performance from those individuals who have the time, talent, and resources to push the limits of the Ford GT benefit us all. It is most gratifying to see an owner come to the assistance of another when a breakdown occurs or a part is needed. Some of our members have willingly pirated parts off their own car to get a fellow GT members car back on the road. And I've seen some of the most expensive and hard-won knowledge willingly shared with other owners. That is the norm among members of the Ford GT community.

There is nothing to be gained except ill will when one member suggests that another member's car is unreliable, will "hopefully" be running, probably will not perform as advertised, or that another member's knowledge is suspect.

Even the mildest forms of trash talking run counter to what this Forum is all about. In 1989 at the California Aerobatic Championships, a great pilot named Wayne Handley approached me before the final flight. Going into that flight, he and I were 1-2 and either one of us could have won it. I told Wayne that I didn't think one of the maneuvers in the final flight was possible. Wayne told me that it was, and then proceeded to tell me how to do it. I asked him sincerely why he was helping one of his competitors in an important contest. He answered just as sincerely, "I'll help you to be the best you can be, you help me to be the best I can be, and in the end, we both win." Wayne Handley's chat with me that day had a bigger impact than any trophy I've ever won. Let's keep it the same way on the Ford GT Forum.

Chip

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Well said Chip!:thumbsup

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
gentlemen,

i just deleted three posts from this thread. The knowledge gained in the pursuit of performance from those individuals who have the time, talent, and resources to push the limits of the ford gt benefit us all. It is most gratifying to see an owner come to the assistance of another when a breakdown occurs or a part is needed. Some of our members have willingly pirated parts off their own car to get a fellow gt members car back on the road. And i've seen some of the most expensive and hard-won knowledge willingly shared with other owners. That is the norm among members of the ford gt community.

There is nothing to be gained except ill will when one member suggests that another member's car is unreliable, will "hopefully" be running, probably will not perform as advertised, or that another member's knowledge is suspect.

Even the mildest forms of trash talking run counter to what this forum is all about. In 1989 at the california aerobatic championships, a great pilot named wayne handley approached me before the final flight. Going into that flight, he and i were 1-2 and either one of us could have won it. I told wayne that i didn't think one of the maneuvers in the final flight was possible. Wayne told me that it was, and then proceeded to tell me how to do it. I asked him sincerely why he was helping one of his competitors in an important contest. He answered just as sincerely, "i'll help you to be the best you can be, you help me to be the best i can be, and in the end, we both win." wayne hanley's chat with me that day had a bigger impact than any trophy i've ever won. Let's keep it the same way on the ford gt forum.

Chip

amen!

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I understand Chip's point and appreciate his perspective of being against even good natured "trash" talking.

That said, Thanks to all of you who posted detailed accounts of their mile experience. It really came through the passion you guys have for your cars. I couldn't help having a visual in my head for each drivers story of those who detailed their 200mph+ expereinces. For soroush's story it was him being chased in his GT ala Nic Cage in the infamous Gone in 60 seconds chase sequence narrowing his eyes and pressing that NOS button in his shifter as he buries the speedometer and the helicopter pilot saying "He's Gone." :lol

For Jason I had the mental picture of Burt Reynolds in Hooper (right down to the laugh) with better hair :wink making that final run in the Firebird through all the explosions at the end of the movie. :biggrin

As for SW, even though it was not a GT, I enjoyed his account of his one run in his Supra.......and even though it is a tired comparision, I saw Vin Diesel in the first Fast and the Furious after he won the first race lecturing "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile (or mile per hour) winning is winning." :thumbsup

It was great to read and gave me lots of ideas for the event here in California. As for my goals......well I like driving 200mph :driving:, so I will see how things go in March and then adjust my car accordingly. To me I don't need to be the fastest guy (although that would be nice), however I would like to have a reliable set-up that would consistently put me over 200 in these types of events without killing the engine. Thanks again for everyone's post on their Texas mile experiences and how they got their cars ready for the adventure. Makes me wish I lived closer to Texas. Hope to meet you all in person in the future. :usa :cheers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I understand Chip's point and appreciate his perspective of being against even good natured "trash" talking.

That said, Thanks to all of you who posted detailed accounts of their mile experience. It really came through the passion you guys have for your cars. I couldn't help having a visual in my head for each drivers story of those who detailed their 200mph+ expereinces. For soroush's story it was him being chased in his GT ala Nic Cage in the infamous Gone in 60 seconds chase sequence narrowing his eyes and pressing that NOS button in his shifter as he buries the speedometer and the helicopter pilot saying "He's Gone." :lol

:usa :cheers

:banana its so funny you should think that!....... that has to be the single most enjoyable scene I have ever experienced in any car related movie(ofcourse I was much younger then:lol). that was the motivation behind the last 10 years:biggrin this poster if I can find it again will grace the wall of my new garage as it did the wall of my living room few years back, hmmm....explains why I couldnt get a date!

IMG_0002.jpg

nitrousphaseII132.jpg

n20switch-1.jpg

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Soroush,

Now that is funny!!! I love the poster on the wall and fresh flowers in the kitchen. I have a 12' X12' poster on my kitchen wall of the par 3 7th hole at Pebble Beach. Look at it every morning at breakfast. Best thing it was my wife's idea. I haven't congratulated you on the new house!!! Way to go! :cheers:cheers
HOW BIG IS THE GARAGE? Isn't that all that matters?

Larry

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Soroush,

Now that is funny!!! I love the poster on the wall and fresh flowers in the kitchen. I have a 12' X12' poster on my kitchen wall of the par 3 7th hole at Pebble Beach. Look at it every morning at breakfast. Best thing it was my wife's idea. I haven't congratulated you on the new house!!! Way to go! :cheers:cheers
HOW BIG IS THE GARAGE? Isn't that all that matters?

Larry

well lets just say the garge is as big as the place Im living at right now:lol

and yes, that is the only thing that matters:thumbsup

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
For Jason I had the mental picture of Burt Reynolds in Hooper (right down to the laugh) with better hair :wink making that final run in the Firebird through all the explosions at the end of the movie. :biggrin

now that made me laugh. that's good stuff right there. :lol

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Too cool.

I love this!

Attachments

• Go Baby Go.jpg
    Go Baby Go.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 226

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Right On Chip!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I love this!

More than likely the other side of the shift ball has the Push to Pass Button!

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
AMEN CHIP!!!

This is what this board was built on and continues to carry on through the careful moderation and care of you guys. This is what makes the GT community the best one out there bar none...

:cheers

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Well said Chip. That's why we pay you the big bucks.