GT 200MPH Speed Day/Mojave Mile Update Thread

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
We'll, I never thought I'd hear the day Goliad was referred to as smooth. :lol

Too bad Oscoda or Miami are out of the question. Not even comparable to Goliad.

What happened to Miami's Dade Collier Airport - are they no longer allowing runs down there? It was really nice.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
What happened to Miami's Dade Collier Airport - are they no longer allowing runs down there? It was really nice.

No they aren't allowing that right now.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
No they aren't allowing that right now.

Is this a permanent ban? Big bummer if so. It was nice.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Is this a permanent ban? Big bummer if so. It was nice.

Inter-county fighting keeps it from being used by anyone concurrently.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
If was about 10 to 20' on the right side of the line. I guess Tom knows better than anyone, since on one has more runs on that runway other than a pilot.

Never been to Texas so I can't comment and haven't run the stock GY's at an event. I do have a lot of runs at Mojave though. :lol I don't notice what you did but I it is all I know so I may be ignoring it. There is a difference to the left of the broken white line versus the right. On mile days we have two boxes there and eveyone drifts into the right lane. Now in the braking area I notice more of that (bumps, but to me they are slight) if you are going to the end of the runway. But I did intentionally take the braking area "bumps" at speed many times before we ran to make sure it would not be a problem for anyone. Very curious about the new Texas venue and can't wait to hear the reports.

I bet I could get up to 80 mph on the turn and into the triple digits by the start line. ;)

Terry and I were talking about this yesterday and at some point I will tell you a story directly about a test run. :secret: I am meeting with MKM next weekend to discuss some positive tweeks to improve the event and also improve speeds for all racers. Once I meet with them and hopefully get a revised format in place I will post a thread to gauge interest in doing this again down the road. It was a fantastic event and I think everyone had a ball, but there are a few small things I would change to make it easier on me and even more fun for everyone.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
YEEEEEHAWWW!!! On the highway to hell!!! You really DO have to title that vid "The Toss". And like Seinfeld's "No soup for you", yours has the signature tag line "Holy Shit". Never I have heard and seen quite as much disappointment from a 226MPH run. TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY SIX!!!!! LOL, you slay me Tom. :lol:lol:lol

Ok, redo! Give it a minute or two to process if it doesn't work.

[video=youtube;NE6sV8MGTbU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE6sV8MGTbU[/video]

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
http://www.motortrend.com/features/performance/1005_everest_for_wheels_200_mph_quest/index.html

Just to put into perspective what this incredible car we have does, these cars were using the entire runway, we were were hitting these speeds in just over a third of that distance!

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Note no car will reach its best top speed at Mojave because of the 2600'+ altitude. MT should have just used a FGT with a pulley and tune, it would have beat all of those cars!

A BIG thanks to Tom and Art Whipple for enabling me to join the elusive 200 club with only a Gen 1 Whipple, while not having to shell out the big bucks for the t-shirt. :lol

BTW those cars didn't suck that bad, the runway is 2.5 miles long. Assuming they left 0.5 miles to stop they none of them could reach 200 in 2 miles, whereas a TT FGT easily do 200+ in only 1 mile. Although the MB run looked like he almost ran out of runway, maybe using much less than 1/2 mile to stop in. :ack

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Wow....Great run...

Can someone explain what mentally/emotionally happens after you hit 200 and what the eye/brain interprets in the few seconds after.

Gentlemen,

When my car had a pully & tune on my first runs at the Texas Mile, I found myself screaming "Give it to me!!". On my first run with the turbos I touched the 7200 rpm rev limeter in 4th (about 185 mph), speed shifted to 5th, and the rush of acceleration right through 200 was intense. As I went through 210 I was still being shoved back into my seat and I did not scream anything. Inside my helmet I quietly said one word...."Jesus". That first run was a 215.

Chip

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Gentlemen,

Inside my helmet I quietly said one word...."Jesus".

Chip

Lol, I said the same thing the first full pull I did in my car after the TT install.

To anyone thinking about getting a TT, I would suggest you not ride in another TT GT before getting yours done so you can have the same "Jesus" moment.........you will never forget it.

There is one car that would give me another Jesus moment...........Ray's yellow GT or his future faster than the speed of light Mile car.

STUNTS

FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
I honestly didn't know how fast I was going.... I felt safe and secure because of my earlier antics in the car years prior..... Cruising the freeways and thinking when is it safe? Now? Ok... 170-175 all the while looking for cops and cars to change lanes just to slow you down... yeah it was stupid and I don't do that anymore....

To being on a production shoot down at El Torro Y or up at the Alameda Naval station (retired) with my director or producer and bringing it up to 182 (as clocked by the Oakland PD who were testing the Charger package at the time) and thinking.... I think where I put that cone is a safe place as to when to start my breaking.... I think??? I'll guess we'll find out... :bored

To now being at Mojave.... I had no idea how fast I was going until I picked up that ticket 2 minutes after crossing the finish line.... It was best for me to concentrate on my shifts at 7100RPMs and not to look right. don't look right.. don't look right.... my speedo was off anyways due to smaller circumference of the front tires... but when I concentrated on the RPMs, that's when every run was over 200.... when I looked at the speedo from time to time.... I was sub 200... :frown

By the end of the day though... I was beat and felt like I had just ran a marathon.... nope.. never done that, but I imagine that's how one would feel....:biggrin

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Lol, I said the same thing the first full pull I did in my car after the TT install.

To anyone thinking about getting a TT, I would suggest you not ride in another TT GT before getting yours done so you can have the same "Jesus" moment.........you will never forget it.

There is one car that would give me another Jesus moment...........Ray's yellow GT or his future faster than the speed of light Mile car.

haha i still have those moments when i drive the yellow car... sometimes even when i simply start it :biggrin

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
haha i still have those moments when i drive the yellow car... sometimes even when i simply start it :biggrin

i think you should bring the yellow car to the next event and charge for "jesus" rides :rofl

I got first dibs :)

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV

You know I have been thinking about this. When one is trying to get over 200 for the first time, it is probably like when Chuck Yeager was breaking the sound barrier for the first time. Ever so hard just to get there and squeek by. :willy
A TT or the TT/SC is like being in an SR71. You go by so fast that that "Jesus" moment just pops out. :eek
I imagine Ray's car being that next generation secret plane that has been clocked at unheard of speeds but whose existence is still denied.:secret::thumbsup

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
i think you should bring the yellow car to the next event and charge for "jesus" rides :rofl

I got first dibs :)

Sorry, faster guys are first so............I'm ahead of you Mr. Pink Tshirt.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Sorry, faster guys are first so............I'm ahead of you Mr. Pink Tshirt.

you know Im always gona be 2 miles faster than you :rofl

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
you know Im always gona be 2 miles faster than you :rofl

lol

I guess you forgot that I was 23 mph faster than you last time.

flying-cat-fight.jpg

wait for it.........3...2....

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
lol

I guess you forgot that I was 23 mph faster than you last time.

flying-cat-fight.jpg

wait for it.........3...2....

ya just like I was 2 miles faster than you the time before, you were faster cause my car didnt run properly, get over the fact that a sc car is faster than your tt :biggrin

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Love the banter between the two of you....

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I'm gonna post the pink tshirt pic.