GT 200MPH Speed Day/Mojave Mile Update Thread

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
^^^ Wow Tom, your car sounds FANTASTIC!!!!! What a roar!!!!! What a rush. Thanks for the ridealong. :)

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
That looks like 29 seconds of fun right there!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
That looks like 29 seconds of fun right there!

Hell yeah man !

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
I got goosebumps!:lol

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Whoops, looks like there was a slight file mix up and that wasn't the 231.5 run. As soon as I get it I'll throw it back up. Prepare for even MORE speeeeeeeeeed! :lol

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
DBK has been great about talking us through our lack of tech savvy. :willy We (and when I say we I mean her cause I am :confused when it comes to tech) have not edited in 6 months and my lovely wife would freely admit she is a better driver than editer. She forgot to rename the file and sent last years runs. The 1.3 course vid will show a right hand turn into the course. It will also show flags along the right hand side that clearly mark each quarter mark of the course, so you will be able to see I was in 6th with about a half mile to go. I will give a full narration of the vids once the real runs get posted.

Thanks DBK for all your help, and thanks Summer for making me look even less tech savvy than before. :lol

I just hope she lets me drive next time. :wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No big deal. That was still really fast!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ok, redo! Give it a minute or two to process if it doesn't work.

[video=youtube;NE6sV8MGTbU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE6sV8MGTbU[/video]

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Great video!

I have to believe that of all of the car forums on the net, the Ford GT Forum has the most owners in the 200 MPH club done at a legal venue. As well as the fastest "street legal" car in the mile. Not bad at all! :thumbsup

H

HHGT

Wow....Great run...

Can someone explain what mentally/emotionally happens after you hit 200 and what the eye/brain interprets in the few seconds after.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Wow....Great run...

Can someone explain what mentally/emotionally happens after you hit 200 and what the eye/brain interprets in the few seconds after.

More / More / More / More / More / More / More / More !!!!!!!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have to believe that of all of the car forums on the net, the Ford GT Forum has the most owners in the 200 MPH club done at a legal venue. As well as the fastest "street legal" car in the mile. Not bad at all! :thumbsup

Has to be.

It's definitely worth doing. It's not nearly as chaotic as you think when you do it on the runway because you lose perspective of speed without objects for reference. The first time I hit 200 in a, uh, different venue, it seemed a whole lot faster than it did on a runway.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Wow....Great run...

I know you had a lot going on as I went through it recently, but the next event you really need to try to make it. You will have a blast. As for what you interpret mentally it would probably depend on the individual. I know there is no better feeling of accomplishment than finishing a good run, pulling up to get that time slip and seeing that 200+ number on there. Unless you get spoiled like me. If you turn up the volume and watch the second pass you can tell as I say "holy sh&%" when I get the slip and give the ticket a toss as I was not real happy with the number, which was still a 226+. :lol

You really want to improve each time and the car allows you to feel stable enough to worry and the driving/shifting and not the car. Looking forward to getting a group together after my next upgrades and doing it again. Will post a results/pics thread and link this vid in with a better description of what I was thinking then.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
It's not nearly as chaotic as you think when you do it on the runway because you lose perspective of speed without objects for reference. The first time I hit 200 in a, uh, different venue, it seemed a whole lot faster than it did on a runway.

IMO the runway in TX was a lot smoother and driving on it seem like nothing at all. At Mojave the surface is a lot bumpier, I think its the expansion joints between the different concrete sections. At Mojave the car moves around a lot more and feels less planted than at TX. Combine that with the much cooler air temperature and cold GY tires leads to an exciting starts for the standing mile. I tried one mile run on Sat and I was going sideways for the 1st 3 gears! I am sure if I wasn't on such a wide "road" that I might have panicked and lifted and made the wreakedexotics.com.

I rewired my TC before the event and it didn't work right at all. :(

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
IMO the runway in TX was a lot smoother and driving on it seem like nothing at all. At Mojave the surface is a lot bumpier...

We'll, I never thought I'd hear the day Goliad was referred to as smooth. :lol

Too bad Oscoda or Miami are out of the question. Not even comparable to Goliad.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
IMO the runway in TX was a lot smoother and driving on it seem like nothing at all. At Mojave the surface is a lot bumpier, I think its the expansion joints between the different concrete sections. At Mojave the car moves around a lot more and feels less planted than at TX. Combine that with the much cooler air temperature and cold GY tires leads to an exciting starts for the standing mile. I tried one mile run on Sat and I was going sideways for the 1st 3 gears! I am sure if I wasn't on such a wide "road" that I might have panicked and lifted and made the wreakedexotics.com.

I rewired my TC before the event and it didn't work right at all. :(

Ah glasshoppa, man with great number of passes needed to show you "the Path". :biggrin

Actually, there was a smoother line to take that Tom discovered last time he had done so many passes. I forgot about it on a couple of runs and you certainly could feel the sections at speed. You probably noticed them more too because you were going 25 mph faster and your tires were cold. :thumbsup Good runs Clinton, especially with your TC issue :thumbsup
I think the Texas has many bumps but also has rocks. Aloha GT actually popped a tire on a rock last time he was there. Miami has the smoothest runway but still had a number of rocks. The big planes going down the runways at Mojave blow most of the debris off. Windy days blow stuff back on, but at Goliad and Miami, there are no big planes to knock it off. It seemed to me there was a lot more stuff banging off the wheel wells going down Texas and Miami.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Ah glasshoppa, you needed to have Tom explain where the "line" was.

If was about 10 to 20' on the right side of the line. I guess Tom knows better than anyone, since on one has more runs on that runway other than a pilot.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I bet I could get up to 80 mph on the turn and into the triple digits by the start line. ;)

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
If was about 10 to 20' on the right side of the line. I guess Tom knows better than anyone, since on one has more runs on that runway other than a pilot.

Ah, you beat me to my edit. Yeah, I was focused on other things and actually had the wrong line on my fast run. With that strong cross wind and cold tires, you could certainly feel the joints.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I bet I could get up to 80 mph on the turn and into the triple digits by the start line. ;)

Easy, I won't say how fast I entered the starting line. I didn't know at the time, never looked at my speedo, but the Driftbox files tell the story. :biggrin

But if you go "too fast" you will be given a stern warning. This has happen to someone that wasn't going any faster than some others, but who probably appeared faster due to the exhaust noise.