GT 200MPH Speed Day/Mojave Mile Update Thread

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I think you misread that, Soroush. It says special race only engine.

hmm change one word around and all of the sudden you can charge 50k for an engine now!:rofl

ya now its really funny! my mistake

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Got the story from Skyrex and some pictures and will have Ford Racing send it out in their next newsletter. Thanks guys!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Having said all this, if I was to build a race car off the FGT I would buy the Roush-Yates 5.0 Cammer engine and be done with it........

Matteo,

You wouldn't be done with it for very long though. The techs on the Matech Team told us that engine was only good for 25 hours!! At $50,000 a pop, or $2000 an hour, that's some expensive NA power. I guess when you're playing at that level, 50K engines are no big deal. Our friend Ray will be able to give us an idea of how long that engine will last in a bit less extreme environment.

Chip

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Matteo,

You wouldn't be done with it for very long though. The techs on the Matech Team told us that engine was only good for 25 hours!! At $50,000 a pop, or $2000 an hour, that's some expensive NA power. I guess when you're playing at that level, 50K engines are no big deal. Our friend Ray will be able to give us an idea of how long that engine will last in a bit less extreme environment.

Chip

True that, but an engine rebuild is usually in the $10-12k region (valves and pistons are the culprits, and u re-bore the jugs as well).... but I take your point.... :thumbsup

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Got the story from Skyrex and some pictures and will have Ford Racing send it out in their next newsletter. Thanks guys!

This. Is. AWESOME!!!!! And very cool too. :thumbsup

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Mullet,

Here is the dyno run on Terry's car right before we took it to the mile.....

1017Run.jpg

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
^^^^ - if i had that much power i think that i could hit 250 mph out in Area 51 :cheers

they just repaved the road last month and it is good to 300 mph now :biggrin

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
^^^^ - if i had that much power i think that i could hit 250 mph out in Area 51 :cheers

they just repaved the road last month and it is good to 300 mph now :biggrin

Just watch out for the rabbits, squirrels and cattle!

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Question for the seasoned Milers, looking at the torque curve, if it starts to drop "materially", relatively speaking of course, at 6k rpm, should the shift point be just past 6k instead of closer to 7k?

Thx

GTED

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Question for the seasoned Milers, looking at the torque curve, if it starts to drop "materially", relatively speaking of course, at 6k rpm, should the shift point be just past 6k instead of closer to 7k?

Thx

GTED

I think it makes sense to upshift at the 6K revolutions, to keep the torque near its maximum. (looking at Kendall's curve of Apollo's car)

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Hi Mullet,

Here is the dyno run on Terry's car right before we took it to the mile.....

View attachment 20019

here is mine
001aa.jpg

looks like at 4250 rpm they are making the same power and Apollo's spikes quicker. I would be curious to see how the spike affects traction in third gear doing freeway pulls or even Mile runs. I know I NEVER get wheelspin in third which might give me an edge if Apoolo's car spins in third on a freeway run. I believe at 4000 rpm he is making a noticable amount more power than the other TT 1000ish hp cars I have seen.

I do like the extra peak torque he is making compared to mine.

At the mile it seems the little extra I have down low pretty my washes out with his quicker spike to peak power.

I'd shift that car at 6500 if it were mine,

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
When to shift depends on your engine's torque curve and your gear ratios. You want to maximize the torque at the rear wheels. You should shift when the torque to the rear wheels will be greater in the higher gear than staying in the lower gear. The gearbox spacing is not even, so that ideal shift point is different in every gear. Also since you cannot shift in zero time, if you are near the finish line sometimes it is best to leave it in a lower gear than to shift, losing some speed by shifting.

This information is theoretical and not from my mile experience. I don't have that many runs to claim any experience, compared to many on this forum. :lol

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I think it makes sense to upshift at the 6K revolutions, to keep the torque near its maximum. (looking at Kendall's curve of Apollo's car)

I though torque GETS you going and HP KEEPS you going?

I'd rather shift when the HP starts to drop (looking at my graph I shift right before the fuel cuts).

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
me and every other speed junkie in this thread I think this belongs...............

boost.jpg

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Keep in mind that these are specific results for a specific system with a custom tune. For this car shifting at 6K may make sense. For your car perhaps not. When you make that 7K shift in 4th to 5th you are putting yourself at a better RPM starting point for 5th. I will be writing it up later once I get the full results to post from our day with pics and vids, but I did two separate things on my best runs. (231.5 and 231.1) On one I shifted to 6th early and in one I stayed in 5th till the end. Staying in 5th till the end I hit the rev limiter shortly before the finish line and it cost me a couple mph. In 6th for my car anyway in depended on when I got in it. 6th would still pull and I have a good vid from my second best run that will help you see that. (I did not have vid from my best run.....my camera hates me :ack :lol)

The best pulley/tune run of the day on a 91 Heffner tune was a 205.8 and he went to the rev limiter everytime. I think for the pulley cars getting into 5th from a 7K shift is the best plan, but I could be wrong. I am pretty sure when Mullet did his 195.5 on a pulley in Texas he went to the limiter. Stunts on Sunday did a 188.7 for his best run by leaving it in 4th till the rev limiter. On Saturday he posted a best of 202.8 shifting that way as well. It really depends on your specific car. Maybe a dyno run would be in order to see what you are really getting. :cheers

Last edited:

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
on all of my mile runs the key was to keep the car "in boost" and at "boost level"...

in talking with Apollo he didn't have to powershift and that is a testament to the speed of these cars...

with my bigger turbos, and with the original turbo setup at C&D, we found that shifting at the higher RPM even if the curve fell off a little bit made up for the quicker reaction of the turbos in the next gear...

on the pump gas original Heffner turbo system we found that alone was worth about 3-4 MPH in the 0-200-0 shootout.

note though, that this was especially important with the big turbos as even a second of spool time would affect the run...

in Miami, when shifting at the higher RPM, I couldn't get the transmission to synchronize the 4 - 5 and as such for the whole day I thought I was "missing shifts".... :(

blasting it up and down the access road "practicing" the 4-5 at WOT I was able to figure out that at our power level I had to "short shift" it at 7K like Texas...

Of course the last run short shifting at 7k despite a little turbo lag still worked out pretty good... :biggrin

so there is definitely a balance and every configuration is a little different...

the only way to know for sure is to try it :cheers

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
on all of my mile runs the key was to keep the car "in boost" and at "boost level"...

in talking with Apollo he didn't have to powershift and that is a testament to the speed of these cars...

with my bigger turbos, and with the original turbo setup at C&D, we found that shifting at the higher RPM even if the curve fell off a little bit made up for the quicker reaction of the turbos in the next gear...

on the pump gas original Heffner turbo system we found that alone was worth about 3-4 MPH in the 0-200-0 shootout.

note though, that this was especially important with the big turbos as even a second of spool time would affect the run...

in Miami, when shifting at the higher RPM, I couldn't get the transmission to synchronize the 4 - 5 and as such for the whole day I thought I was "missing shifts".... :(

blasting it up and down the access road "practicing" the 4-5 at WOT I was able to figure out that at our power level I had to "short shift" it at 7K like Texas...

Of course the last run short shifting at 7k despite a little turbo lag still worked out pretty good... :biggrin

so there is definitely a balance and every configuration is a little different...

the only way to know for sure is to try it :cheers

Ray, I appreciate the tips before the mile. It helped me so much to develop my strategy.
I did not speed shift but experimented around a lot with different RPM shifts in each gear. Black Ice is right also, I noticed much better acceleration by using different RPMs in each gear. Generally, I went higher in each gear as I went up. As Ray points out, the real key is staying in boost. I wish I could have put together a full run doing this as I think I would have taken off! Even though my speeds were good,I feel there was a lot I could have gained by speed shifting. I did feel boost drop when I was not efficient in my shifts even though my speeds were good. - I must give credit where credit is due, the car is really fast! :eek I only got two chances at the standing mile and I did soft starts on both with roll ups through the first two gears. I know I had a 230 in there is I could have put it all together. few more passes and I know I would break 230. :banana
Same with the 1.3mile. I really never started a whole lot different since I was playing around with the shift points and did not want to wonder if it was a start or shift that made the difference. I was close to 60mph starting on my fastest 1.3 where the others I did were around 40mph.
Mullet, I was getting a little wheel spin on the top end of third, But it was only when I was short shifting second by a bunch, (5500), I was spinning like crazy on the top of second with full throttle, so I had to either roll throttle on through second or short shift. I would get a little blip but nothing I had to let out of or correct steering. :thumbsup
TC

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Checking out me and the misses new siggy... :thumbsup

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
You Mojave guys need to get a Vbox, it will help you figure out some of this and you will be able to measure 60-130, 0-200 and any other increment you want.

http://vboxusa.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1&zenid=c6992facdeb1b8927b1cca6f11584cb0

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Here is a video of two runs by Skyrex:

*edit pending new video*