FORD GT OWNER & LITTLE TIMMYS DAD!
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
SoCal
Ok, Timmy here :)
I have a 2.75" pulley
Heffner X Pipe
& a Torrie tune
My best run of the day was 202.8 mph in a respectable 1.3 with a 40 mph run up to the starting line
My buddy ran a 203.3 in my car
and my wife ran a 198.6 mph in our car..

The amazing thing is that similar drivers (Marc and I) had a 0.5 mph difference.

Now for the standing mile which was my 1st time doing a standing mile.
I ran a 187.6 while shifting into 5th
Changed my 2nd run by staying in 4th and keeping it a 7K - 7100 and ran a 188.8 (I think) there's a picture somewhere... strangers were impressed with the stock pulley standing mile run but I don't know :)

Tom Fries aka: Skyrex, Thanks for an amazing adventure this weekend. My family and friend had a blast. Something we will talk about for years to come. My buddy mark has made a decision to by a GT and is looking. I'm going to help him, so we'll see :)
Stephanie wants 200 + :) I love it...

Attachments

• Mojave GT.jpg
    Mojave GT.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 212

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Thanks SkyRex! Great work on the event. Cool t-shirt, patch & a return dividend! I had a great time.

I ran a short shifting shake down run at 198 mph in 6th gear then when i ran my next run one of my cats clogged, broke apart & partially blocked the exhaust when I was in 5th (running Stillen 3.90) but I still crossed the line at 205 mph. I had to call it a day but will try to get my Whippled GT into the 220s someday. I feel the TT GTs are only unbeatable on the mile & the exhaust sound is not as cool as the Whippled ones. The TTs don't work as well on the road race tracks. The Whippled GTs are better all-around cars but they won't best the TTs on a mile track. I love all GTs though. AlohaGT is my hero! (ok, so is Mr & Mrs Apollo & Mr & Mrs SkyRex)

My GT was on 91 fuel & 17 lbs boost. Low stress engine. It turned over 30,000 miles on the trip to the Mile! It's stronger now than when new.

Thanks again SkyRex!

Ed

PS Not GT Ed but Special Ed.

Attachments

• IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 208

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
More photos from the Mojave Mile.

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1030.jpg
    IMG_1030.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1017.jpg
    IMG_1017.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_1010.jpg
    IMG_1010.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 203

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
And still more yet!

Ed

Attachments

• IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 204

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Timing board looks familiar. Same timing company from the Texas Mile?

Same team. Ed and Jane are superstars!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
What a great weekend! I cannot emphasize how much work Tom and Summer did to pull off this great event. Thank you thank you thank you!
Congratulations to all of the new 200 mph club members. I wish everyone could have made it...:cheers
It was so nice to get to have fellowship with all of the wonderful people that are involved with this forum. I was so impressed with all of the ladies that kicked butt. Of course Monica and Summer, but also seeing all of the wives, daughters, and almost wives (Kelly, that almost drove) etc... Tim, I finally put the story with the faces, Stephanie Rocks! :thumbsup
What a great venue and to be able to share with all of these great people. We love you all!:biggrin
We did more runs in these two events than any other mile event we have been to. On Saturday, we did 11 runs, including two by our master tech, Kendall! All were well over 200 with Monica kicking out a 231.1 when my best at that point was a 227.xx. :( Lots of dress wearing jokes were flying around... :bored ) I was actually very proud of my speed demon!
Believe it or not, I was trying to have all take it easy and make sure all was working well. I was still worried about my clutch being not broken in. After seeing Tom, Kelvin, and Monica bust over 230, I decided to play around with shift points and popped off a 233.8. Kendall, Royce and Ryan were egging me on to push it a little harder so I did. I started a little faster than the other runs and got good shifts, I actually spun the tires at the top end of third gear! :eek. I shifted into 6th and was a little mesmerized at how hard the car was still pulling. It was a very strong cross wind and the car still felt planted although you could feel the car dance a bit over each of the cement cracks going down the runway. I was kind of zoning on the tach needle swinging up when I looked up I saw the end flags and how fast they had come up it kind of startled me and I let out of the throttle as I was going through the traps.:ack I let the car settle and braked more like you have to at Goliad Texas to make the end turn. I knew this run was faster than before. I came around to find out I had a time slip with two times, one said 240 and the other 238.6. I think the first timing light and the second was from the second timing light with more accurate calculation from my let off. In any case it was really surreal to feel how fast this car is. :banana:banana
Sunday for the Mojave Mile, we had completely different conditions. It was warm from the start and the wind was from the front. Drat. To make things worse, the late entries were many and it took forever to get the event going. Within a short time after the start, we had bikes going off the end of the track and the record holder for the bikes went down at high speed, fortunately he was ok except for some sure to be painful road rash. :eek It shut down the event for a long time. When I finally got a shot at the mile I was too excited and bogged the start, spun second, and never really got on full boil. Still turned in 221.xx, about a mile short of the record held by the Griffin racing Viper. I really wanted one of us to take that bad boy down.:frown
Kelvin had a great run but his clutch was acting like mine at the Texas mile. He was pretty much done at that point. Tom had a shot at it but for some reason we just couldn't get his car to hit max power up high. (his car actually dynoed higher than mine.) I really wanted Tom to be the one because he worked so hard for this event. I think he needs that Heffner Cooltech uopgrade.:thumbsup
Well, there were so many cars and it was getting hotter by the minute and the head wind was getting stronger. :thumbsdow Monica really wanted to break 210 since she was so close at the last event, (209.8). She suited up and went out and ripped a 216.xx. I could see it in her eyes that she had incredible fun but left that 220 on the table. I knew we may only get one more shot at it so I dialed the car to high, gave her the shift pep talk, and was looking for a 223 or better so "she" would take down that viper and also hold the Mojave Mile speed record for cars!:thumbsup
When she got her chance she did not get good shifts and came up with a great 218.8 but a little short of what we were looking for. :willy I quickly lined up the car and suited up just to get a chance. Things started to move quicker as more people were leaving so it looked good for a run. I knew I only had one shot so I sat in the car and visualized my shift points and shifts. When I got to the start I bogged a bit, (still getting used to that new clutch), but recovered well to get through the first three gears as planned and into 4th solid. 4th to fifth was going to make or break this pass as any hesitation wold cost great distance and loss of boost. I nailed the shift and the car just seemed to take off. End result 226.4!:banana:banana:banana:cheers:cheers:cheers
I came around to people cheering, and thumbs up etc... It was really fun.
I knew it was not over because that darn Viper was being worked on by a full crew to wick it up for another run. ( They took away the top speed from Big Red and I on the last run of the meet last time. ) They had a good run but only managed a 223.xx. They went to work on that Viper like a NASCAR pit crew for one final assault but time was not on their side this time, the sun went down before they could get ready.
Which means, A FORD GT HOLDS THE MOJAVE STANDING MILE RECORD! :banana:banana:cheers:cheers:banana:banana I am very proud of that in case you can't tell.:biggrin
I of course have to once again say thank you to Kendall, Ryan, Torrie, Jason and Royce for all of the hard work to make our car perform at such an incredible level. :biggrin
Most of all Monica and I want to say how much we appreciate all of our friends here at the GT forum. XXOO

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Wow!

It is great that the Mojave record is where it belongs, with a Ford GT owner! Terry and Monica are both just super people as well as super drivers!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Thanks brother! Congratulations to you Clinton on your big run!. :thumbsup FGT!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Tom, what an amazing event!!! Day 2 was soo slow in comparison. The GT owners are sharp and on their game !. I came as a spectator this year, and really enjoyed the event event. Kudos for all the effort you personally put into this. I know from personal experience what it takes to pull off something of this magnitude. Congrats to both you and Sommer for a job well done !. :thumbsup Best In Class !

.. I also want to trow out some props to MKM the guys that helped Tom coordinate the event. They had a great announcer and blood pumpin' 70 rock and roll mix all day. These folks are top notch and create an experience and mood that is better IMO than the Texas Mile experience. The announcer and entire Mojave Mile Team is first rate, and on day 2 really told the crowd how awesome it was to work with the GT owners. Forum members, take pride in how your brothers and sisters were on their game from start to finish.

As one poster mentioned, all the battles and efforts by so many.... to cross boundaries they have never been before. We were all rooting to get as many GT owner as possible into the 200mph club. Ed, I would personally donate what ever it takes, what an amazing effort, you had us and the announcer on pins and needles all day. While you may not have reached your goal, trust me we were entertained and rooting for you big time ...all day. :thumbsup...Thank you for your persistence, a lesser man would have called it quits. I can only hope to have the character you have when my time comes around.

Guys, I deal with commercial customers everyday . Our forum vendors are all Best in Class...Period. And we should be very proud of that. But as good as they are, I continue to tell the CoolTech family story and GT guys story to my customers that aspire for world class service and performance. My division covers from Chicago to Newport Beach.

I am really proud to be associated with the Amazing Ford GT Forum that Dave has created for us. Where ever we go, the people on this forum take care of business. Dave has truly set the Bar with our fabulous events and others like Tom, keep that at level just as high, no matter what the venue.

I have a ton of pics to post, but like Tom it will be awhile as i sort through hundreds. Kendall thanks for kicking my butt to get me out there, what a blast. IMG_1521.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Guys thanks for sharing this with all of us... What a fantastic read!

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
I feel the TT GTs are only unbeatable on the mile & the exhaust sound is not as cool as the Whippled ones. The TTs don't work as well on the road race tracks. The Whippled GTs are better all-around cars but they won't best the TTs on a mile track.

Ed,

I'm not sure what to think of this. I am also having a hard time figuring out how you might have gathered the information to substantiate such a statement. TT's don't work as well on road race tracks? A Whippled car will not go for more than a few laps on most road courses without going into limp mode because the coolant temperature is too high. The Whipple cars, all supercharged cars for that matter, lack the flexibility to be easily configured for different purposes. Say you're going to head out to the road course in your TT GT. Most drivers certainly don't need 1,000 horsepower to get around a track. The added power actually makes is quite a bit more difficult. So you go to your boost controller and turn the car down to 10 or 12 pounds of boost, still make more power than stock and lap your car without having to be as concerned about engine temperature compared to a stock car or particularly a Whipple car. Then say you want to head over to the mile. You go back to your boost controller and turn it up. Now you are ready to run outrageous speeds. Speeds that Stock supercharger or Whipple cars could never hope to run. After that you can drive your car home feeling quite happy with your car and not have to be bothered with coming up with ways to justify your set up to yourself or others. As for the exhaust sounding "not as cool" I hope that you realize that this is purely a matter of opinion. The bottom line is that there are many people that are happy with their car whether they have a stock supercharger, turbos or a Whipple. It is important to be mindful of the fact that just because you like what you have, it doesn't make it better than another set up in general.

I can't wait for the Whipple / TT showdown at Miller Motorsports Park.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
Ed,

I'm not sure what to think of this. I am also having a hard time figuring out how you might have gathered the information to substantiate such a statement. TT's don't work as well on road race tracks? A Whippled car will not go for more than a few laps on most road courses without going into limp mode because the coolant temperature is too high. The Whipple cars, all supercharged cars for that matter, lack the flexibility to be easily configured for different purposes. Say you're going to head out to the road course in your TT GT. Most drivers certainly don't need 1,000 horsepower to get around a track. The added power actually makes is quite a bit more difficult. So you go to your boost controller and turn the car down to 10 or 12 pounds of boost, still make more power than stock and lap your car without having to be as concerned about engine temperature compared to a stock car or particularly a Whipple car. Then say you want to head over to the mile. You go back to your boost controller and turn it up. Now you are ready to run outrageous speeds. Speeds that Stock supercharger or Whipple cars could never hope to run. After that you can drive your car home feeling quite happy with your car and not have to be bothered with coming up with ways to justify your set up to yourself or others. As for the exhaust sounding "not as cool" I hope that you realize that this is purely a matter of opinion. The bottom line is that there are many people that are happy with their car whether they have a stock supercharger, turbos or a Whipple. It is important to be mindful of the fact that just because you like what you have, it doesn't make it better than another set up in general.

The whippled cars are better on a race track (with the bends) because of the amount of torque available coming out of the turns. Full stop.

Yes they will be a handful at full beans (and I know something about it), but as you turn down the boost on a TT you can flex your right ankle less on a whippled car.

Heating is also a issue that can be dealt with... On my car I had 2 race spec fans (noisy, yeah, but effective) and we sealed the radiator properly and I did 2 full days without the needle moving from 210....

But this is not a TT vs Whipple thread. Can't we just enjoy the awesome results these cars achieved at Mojave?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

on a short track road course i would not want either one of these setups :thumbsdow

i would stick a HIGH compression N/A motor in my GT like Matech did and blow past both of these cars late in the race when they both overheat and go into limp mode :lol

limp mode is not what real race cars are made of....

if you want a factory stock, short track ready, road race car then buy the New Viper ACR-X.

Last edited by a moderator:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Thread seems to be getting away. I want to applaud everyone who make it to Mojave to realize their dreams. Everyone performed to their best, the weather cooperated (it snowed in Mammoth), and the Ford GT, in whatever form, showed its mettle to the rest of the entrants - in quantity!!

Tom did a great job getting everyone organized, Kendall et al kept everyone going - and the brotherhood of the Ford GT forum came through. Congratulations to everyone!!

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Tom, given that you've been seen (as per your own GoPro video) to be casually rolling up your window just in time to make your next shift when you're blasting a mile run, in the pic below I REALLY thought Summer was reaching for the radio with her Chapstick AT SPEED!!!! LOL. It must run in your family, that's why you married this particular great gal I guess. LOL. It was great talking to you last night brother, I'm REALLY proud of you in organizing this and also in getting now 32++ passes at 200+ MPH, and already 3 passes at 230+ MPH!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

A couple more pics and a quick funny story. My wife is sitting next to me and playing one of her vids on the computer. I watch her poking at the radio with a chapstick in her hands so I asked "What are you doing??" and she says "I could not reach the radio so I needed the chapstick to change songs." :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl I know that should worry me but it is too funny.
attachment.php

More of a problem is now that she wants to post to get her name in the 200mph club she may see this post. :lol

What a weekend!!

And I really love this last picture. Not just because of the super cool hauler (and that IS a really super cool hauler!!!) and the awesome GT prepping for it's ride home, but because it captures the spirit and camaraderie of the event! Kudos to you all!!! Wish I was there.
attachment.php

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Ed,

Good points Jason, just had my first oil change in my GTT.....Love that thing! Need more power! ;) If only it was a dual clutch

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
First off, MKM is a first class outfit that I can't say enough positive things about. They responded to all of my requests and allowed us to have the type of event we did. As great as it was I think we can make a few tweeks to make it even better next time. Hats off to Mike, Marsha, Keith, BJ, Will and the entire MKM staff. I am proud to call you my friends. :thumbsup:thumbsup

As I said before once I get the results of all the runs I will post it along with a huge picture thread that I encourage all of you who were there to post pics as well. I have seen so many great ones already. I have some great vids that I will edit and put up a link or youtube vid. I have one of my 231 passes that shows me shifting to 6th early and the car still pulling strong through the finish. Also I am posting a couple of pics below of what my wife is calling "The Toss". After my second 231 run I went back out and ran a 228. I thought I did better than that. In the vid you hear me say "Holy Sh*&" and then I toss the ticket across the car. :lol I am getting spoiled.

I also have vid of the wheelie my buddy Tom pulled in front of my GOPRO on his BMW sport bike as we were heading to the staging area. He definitely got his hand slapped for that, but made for good vid.

Pro, she was changing the radio with the chapstick before the run while waiting. I would not have been remotely cool with it if it was during the run. :bored

And as for the Whipple vs TT debate I will say the same thing I always say. Both are great systems and I bought mine for my own personal goals. Debating about which one is better holds no interest for me. I think all of these cars are amazing and I was happy for every single driver out there. We all accomplished something special.

Attachments

• TheToss4.jpg
    TheToss4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 169
  • TheToss3.jpg
    TheToss3.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 172
  • TheToss1.jpg
    TheToss1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 231 Forum.jpg
    231 Forum.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 170

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Tom, a big thanks once again for putting this all together, enabling me to join the 200 club only a little Gen 1 Whipple. I live in CA the were the smog police are the most stringent in the nation. The only power adders that will "pass" here in CA are the FRPP pulley and tune and the Whipple.

IMO there is no debate, for the mile or any top speed run the TT systems are the best for the Ford GT. It was mind boggling to see all of the TTs cars put run after run at speeds well over 220 all day long. I am waiting for Soroush to add a 200+ shot to give those TT a run for their money.

A TT here in CA would get me into big registration problems.

I guess I don't have the "right" friends. :lol

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I feel the TT GTs are only unbeatable on the mile & the exhaust sound is not as cool as the Whippled ones. The TTs don't work as well on the road race tracks. The Whippled GTs are better all-around cars but they won't best the TTs on a mile track.

Ed, my friend, you know I respect your opinion and I oh-so-like the lumpy cam sound of your car. But, man, I could NOT be in more violent disagreement with your opinion about the TT. I would just absolutely LOVE to know more about the basis of your opinion, but in the interim please let me share my assessment.

The first point is that I do not want to make this a whipple-bashing thread/response. I am a proponent of the Whipple and I believe it offers an outstanding price/value point – especially considering where MOST customers will use their GT’s. Specifically, most of the cars are street-driven with an occasionally spirited freeway blast for the sheer adrenaline rush from acceleration or perhaps from being provoked by another “lesser” car – LOL. This is where the Whipple is in its element. At approximately 1/3 the price point of a TT, it is a very good value and provides outstanding performance.

That said, the TT’s (again, at 3X the price point – so hardly a fair comparison), will absolutely dominate the Whipple not only at a Mile venue but CERTAINLY on a road course, I don’t even think that the results will be comparable. Just from a logical perspective, the Whipple enjoys a considerable torque advantage over the TT’s in the 1500-3500 rpm range. In the above 4000 rpm range, the TT are simply so much faster. So, in a road course venue with a skilled driver, where does the car spend most of it’s time? While there might be an occasional corner or two where the RPM’s drop below 3000, the vast majority of the time, the car is going to be in the 4000-7000 rpm range. There’s simply no way that a Whipple is going to be able to compete with a TT.

And sadly, I’m not sure how many road courses that you have done, but in any ambient temps above 75-80 degrees, the Whipple cars are going to have significant challenge with air inlet temps AND engine water temps. NOT the same story on the TT cars which will be SIGNIFICANTLY cooler in both IAT and water temps as they are not working the engine nearly as hard as a Whipple. Case in point: I spoke to a group of Whipple’d GT owners from Galpin who race out at Willow Springs a LOT!. They absolutely love their Whipples but can only do 4 laps in the summer before they are done and have to bring the car in for an hour or two to cool. Second case in point: Not sure if you saw my earlier post, but the TT cars at 11-12psi of boost were routinely doing 215MPH passes in the mile. If I was setting up a TT for road racing, I would probably set the boost in the 14-16psi range and there’s just no doubt in my mind that this car could absolutely dominate a Whipple’d car AND the car would be able to run indefinitely in conditions where the Whipple would be forced to the pits.

Again, I would love to hear the rationale behind your opinions!! They are pretty strong words and I’d be pretty certain that you have never driven a TT GT. I have. I have driven Whipple and TT and there’s just no doubt in my mind on which one is faster and which one is “sustainably” faster. But, forget my opinion. Aloha GT came from a finely tuned Gen 2 Whipple with a 21 lb pulley. (This system is now on FastFreddy’s GT and with one of the highest dyno numbers ever for a Whipple.) Ask Kelvin who has a lot of 2-wheeled racing experience. Look at Apollo who came from a hellaciously fast 4.0L Whipple set-up to a TT. Ask him which is faster, easier to drive, lower temps, etc.

It used to be that the sweet spot for the SC’s was the ¼ mile. So, you call the TT a one-trick pony as a mile-machine. I was ready to say that a more accurate statement would be that a Whipple is a one-trick pony 1/4mile machine…. but realistically, I cannot even give that to the Whipple. I really believe that the current TT cars that we have done would rope-in the Whipple cars and beat them in a 1/4mile venue. In conclusion, our opinions could not be further apart. I will close how I started. I have a LOT of respect for the Whipple. Great performance at a great price point. The TT, at 3X the cost, will romp all over a Whipple in practically any venue that you could conceive. End of story.

Ed, you need to drive one. It is NOT the uncontrollable, boost-lag-ridden system of yester-year. Ask the multitude of people that have driven both.

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Heating is also a issue that can be dealt with... On my car I had 2 race spec fans (noisy, yeah, but effective) and we sealed the radiator properly and I did 2 full days without the needle moving from 210....

Did you post this as a thread anywhere? I would be interested in learning more on what you did. :thumbsup