WHIPPLE TUNES - Add on to Fubars Fuel Thread

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I can tell you from just driving it from Plano to Garland that DBK's ass o meter was feeling something WAY different. That car was pulling HARD and it just ran right up to the top end...oh and its LOUD!

That's what I'm sayin. Sounds like you got it sorted anyways, but the dyno often doesn't tell you what your right foot can. Good luck bud.

Aug 25, 2006
I think we got Matts problem fixed and he should have his 200mph tee shirt in 2 more days.

This is a wonderful post to read

All the best Matt with your plus 200mph quest

Shadowman

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I have my digital boost controller mounted in the same location as the OEM boost gauge.

boostgauge2.jpg

This video gives you a decent idea of what you see from inside the car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH1NaQroy6Y

I'm kinda burned out on the car stuff at the moment but hopefully I'll post the build info on my car in the spring. We're doing a 1500hp fuel system and I drive my car everywhere so livability on a daily basis is definitely a must.

I like the look of this eBoost2 gauge a lot. I've had an Innovate LM1 installed in the car also and use the big old SCT Livewire to monitor the A/F ratio but the display of the Liveware is not clear and its size is big and always get into my way. What would be perfect for me it to have in place of the OEM boost gauge, a combo digital gauge that can display Boost/Vacuum in the upper half and A/F ratio in the lower half. Is there such a gauge out there?

Last edited:

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Now hopefully marks spark issue gets worked out early. Archie loaded a brand new tune this morning and the o2 swapping issue stopped. First pull with a cold motor was 797hp. We ran another one a little later with a switch to ice water in the intercooler and pulled a 806hp with 700lb trq. I'm sitting in college station hanging in the bus with a college bud and friends just catching up. Let's see 200.

Oh and mark I have all your shit here so get your butt on the road!!!!!!!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Bruce, with the Whipple set-up, you should NOT see fluctuations enough to cause you so much concern, in my opinion. In other words, you should be able to get a tune in your car and validate it on the dyno to be safe and have the right A/F's.... and that should be it. I know this far that has been elusive for you but maybe it is time to get Torrie to Socal. In fact, we could probably get a whole group of forced-induction GT's together and split the cost to get Torrie here to do tunes. I can rent the dyno for the day. Give it some thought. (We should start another thread, if interested.)

The turbo guys are really the guys with a whole lot more variability as they can easily change their boost levels. In fact, that gauge you see is not merely a gauge but an electronic boost controller that lets you set different boost levels from the cockpit of the car. As I said before, you whipple should be a "tune it and forget it" endeavor - with no need to monitor/worry about boost and A/fs.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Bruce, with the Whipple set-up, you should NOT see fluctuations enough to cause you so much concern, in my opinion. In other words, you should be able to get a tune in your car and validate it on the dyno to be safe and have the right A/F's.... and that should be it. I know this far that has been elusive for you but maybe it is time to get Torrie to Socal. In fact, we could probably get a whole group of forced-induction GT's together and split the cost to get Torrie here to do tunes. I can rent the dyno for the day. Give it some thought. (We should start another thread, if interested.)

The turbo guys are really the guys with a whole lot more variability as they can easily change their boost levels. In fact, that gauge you see is not merely a gauge but an electronic boost controller that lets you set different boost levels from the cockpit of the car. As I said before, you whipple should be a "tune it and forget it" endeavor - with no need to monitor/worry about boost and A/fs.

Tell me where to be and when, I am there. Oh and that is sort of why I am still in Houston right now too:lol:lol:lol

Yukonranger

GT Owner
Jun 9, 2008
Sagle, ID
How did you measure this? I am surprised at a figure that high.

Velocity before the supercharger will not affect anything. It is a different story on a NA engine. Tuned length intake runners attempt to convert velocity into pressure right behind the valve to improve volumetric efficiency.

Aug 25, 2006
How did you measure this? I am surprised at a figure that high.

Velocity before the supercharger will not affect anything. It is a different story on a NA engine. Tuned length intake runners attempt to convert velocity into pressure right behind the valve to improve volumetric efficiency.

Agreed

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I measured vacuum before and after the filters and only got about 1.5 - 2lbs difference. Much less than I was expecting but there is something to be gained there.

If you measured 1.5 to 2.0 PSI drop across the filters and not a 1.5 to 2.0 in H20, it would be HUGH!

Normal pressure at sea level is about 14.7 PSI so a drop of 1.5 post filter would lower potential power by about 1.5/14.7=10.2%!