Halfshaft Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
well alrighty then

Thanks Bony and DBK. I will go ahead and put the accufab bolts in pending word from Ford.
I pretty much grew up driving an old British TR sports car. It had break downs regularly and without warning. Some the fault of my learning process working on it and some not (many due to LUCAS). I learned many valuable skills driving that old car, not the least of which was looking for a place to land and pull over quickly to get out of the way of traffic. If the GT breaks I hope I still have that skill.
Lastly, I think I just talked to Bony on the Nintendo dad's support line. If you think his avatar here is good, you should see that one. Happy Fourth eveyone. KO

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I just got my Accufab kit yesterday and will install it on my Midnight Blue car today.

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Whenever I'm feeling a little low, I just click on Bony's avatar and I feel much better. Life would be much emptier for me without her (them)! :banana

Good point, the real reward(s) is after you click on bony's avatar! Almost good enough to get little bit of a bony.:thumbsup

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Ed's half shaft bolts

My half shaft bolts finally broke on the left side. Some tranny fluid dripped on the exhaust & the smoke let me know what happened. It still drove but I had it taken home on a flat bed tow truck. I just installed the Accufab half shaft bolt kit I bought from Shadowman. The stock washers were cupped/warped big time!

Ed

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
My half shaft bolts finally broke on the left side. Ed

Sorry to hear this Ed. How many miles on your car? Hopefully you are good to go now.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
half shaft bolt failure

10,000 miles & she let go. My friend has 43,000 miles with no problems so far.

Ed

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Ed,

Sorry to hear that... The good news, that is 10k with some Whipple and many track miles. at least now you know your preventative maintenance schedule miles.

I believe they will all fail at some point 1,000 - 200,000 who knows. But I do think the longer it goes the better the shaft spline to hub match is on your particular car. I do think the Accufab fix will go much longer.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Last night I had the GT guys put in the accufab ARP bolt kit.

I guess I did not need them as mine were the good ones, heat treated & black oxide coated washers. But good insurance.

And Bony just stop it with the AVATAR.....after a few hours I get up with my arms stretched out say yes master and the wife has me fixing and promising all kinds of things. Then she snaps her fingers and I wake up Broke again.

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Accufab bolts

Just received my Accufab axle bolt kit - looks like quality hardware, but I find it interesting that there are no instructions or information whatsoever included with them (such as torque specs, what locktite to use, etc.). Did anyone receive any info with their kits?

Guess I can use the procedure called out in the Ford TSB? It is not a trivial torque procedure, at least for the outer 12 bolts - no big deal, just want to do it EXACTLY as it should be done. Is there anything special that anyone is doing that I should be aware of? Thanks.

Aug 25, 2006
Just received my Accufab axle bolt kit - looks like quality hardware, but I find it interesting that there are no instructions or information whatsoever included with them (such as torque specs, what locktite to use, etc.). Did anyone receive any info with their kits?

Guess I can use the procedure called out in the Ford TSB? It is not a trivial torque procedure, at least for the outer 12 bolts - no big deal, just want to do it EXACTLY as it should be done. Is there anything special that anyone is doing that I should be aware of? Thanks.

Hi Everett

I just sent you an email with the information

Takes care

Shadowman

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Thank you Bill. Without your info I might have made a mistake with the installation, since the Accufab specs are different than Ford's. For the life of me I don't understand why this info did not come with the kit - it is critical info for all of us doing this replacement.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance. :cheers

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Czar of GT Tech Info

Thank you Bill. Without your info I might have made a mistake with the installation, since the Accufab specs are different than Ford's. For the life of me I don't understand why this info did not come with the kit - it is critical info for all of us doing this replacement.

Thanks again for your invaluable assistance. :cheers
everetto,

This old link may help:
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68911&postcount=656

I think that Bill is earning his title as "Czar of GT Tech Info".

Good luck and take your time!

Jay

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
My Ford Gt Died And Left Me Stranded!

GUYS-
with less than 1800 miles, and little hard use, if at all, my GT konked out and left me without power after I had driven 1 mile from my House! I heard nothing unusual, and was driving about 35 with no hard acceleration, etc. I noticed that it seemed as if the car was out of gear.....no power to the driveline, no matter what gear I tried....so I coasted to a stop, and THERE WAS A TRAIL OF FLUID FOR SOME DISTANCE. The half shafts were intact, and attached.....I really did not know what else to check...had it towed to Troy Aikman Ford in Dallas, because my friends say they really do have a good service dept.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

GRIFFBL (dead in the water)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Another half shaft bolt failure!

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Sorry for the post...I am just ANOTHER HALF SHAFT BOLT VICTIM

Sorry guys...have not been on in a while...my car is driven pretty gingerly....EVERYBODY should get these replaced, to avoid this potential nightmare.

Cheers,

Griffbl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Sorry guys...have not been on in a while...my car is driven pretty gingerly....EVERYBODY should get these replaced, to avoid this potential nightmare.

Cheers,

Griffbl

Ford should give us the offical word ASAP! Until then the Acufab parts are currently the best anwser. The newer Ford with the harden washer have failed too.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
griffbl,

99.999% positive it is a halfshaft bolt failure. Your halfshafts may appear to be in place but if you look closer, one side or the other is pulled out and off the splines but since it is resting on the seal it can look like it is in place.

The other .001% probability would be some kind of catastrophic clutch failure but when you said you had a trail of fluid..... we're talking halfshaft bolt failure.

I realize that you really didn't have time to determine where you wanted to take the GT and maybe you already know/trust them. If not, I'd recommend a nice chat with the Service Manager and make sure they know the proper jack points, etc for the GT. The rear pans should be removed for cleaning.

I'd personally recommend the use of the Accufab upgrade kit as it is significantly better than Ford's kit. I have an extra Accufab kit here and if you need it I can next day it to your dealer on Monday.

Most of all, don't worry. The axle bolt replacement is not that big of deal.... just make sure that you are confident in the dealer and who will do the work.

quick time

GT Owner
Jul 27, 2006

FORD......How much longer are you going to remain silent on this issue??

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Griffbl,

Hopefully it didn't happen somewhere busy....finally got a nice day in dallas and you had it ruined with the half shaft failure.

I would recommend Middlekauf Ford or Sam Pack's for future work. I've never been to Troy's shop but Rick has a GT and did our GT Guy visit for us..offered up his shop and had it opened on the weekend for the guys to work 24/7 if they wanted...did I think 12 GT's that weekend..Rick is a great guy and his tech's take extra care of our cars. We have a couple of great owners that are dealers here in town..they are car guys and help us out ALOT. If you ever need paint work let me know and I will give you the name of that dealer.

Matt

griffbl

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 8, 2006
Dallas, TX
Telephone number for the FORD GT HOTLINE??? and DFW area service!

I did a search on this website, but I could not find the above telephone number. Would someone be so kind as to post it for me? Also, I found out after having the car towed to Troy Aikman Ford, that they do NOT work or service Ford GT's, (at least they were honest about it) so it is being towed AGAIN to Middlekauf Ford in Plano!

The Nightmare Continues! PLEASE HAVE THIS PRE-EMPTIVE REPAIR DONE TO YOUR CARS TO AVOID THIS PROBLEM! IT IS A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR PEACE OF MIND, AND FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH, I THOUGHT MY CAR, A 2006, PURCHASED IN JULY OF 2006 WAS A RELATIVELY
LATE PRODUCTION CAR!!

GOOD LUCK AND THANKS TO ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.