Complete Rally Exhaust Compilation

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does anyone know what the set up is int tne last car? It has the right sound to me--LOUD.

'Don't recall which one that is, but if you really want LOUD - what you want is Ford Racing's 'straight thru' header system (for track use) regardless.

With that setup, you'll be saying, "HUH????", a lot in your future years ... guaranteed.:willy

(I just checked. The last one WAS the 'Racing setup!!!)

Last edited:

Shoboat

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 23, 2005
Toledo Ohio
racing exhaust

Red Rocket said:
I assume this is part # M-9430-GTX. That sounds the best to my ears and the most like the original race car (FYI the Duke Publishing video has a test of Ford's museum GT40 and it sounds like this, just fabulous).

That exhaust system is listed at Ford as "not for street use". What I'd like to know is does it eliminate the cats altogether? If so does that mean you need to recalibrate the ECU or make any other adjustments? Also, can the owner of this car or one like it provide decibel levels at various RPM comparing it to stock? Because that exhaust sounds fantastic to me but if it's so loud that it's undriveable in the real world I guess I'll have to go another route. I love my stock car but the fact is, its too damn quiet sometimes. As the hog riders say, "Loud pipes save lives". :wink
I let the dealer do the install. The cats are gone. When you put your leg in it sounds like a freight train on steroids. Being a former professional sports car racer, I need the sound. Reminds me of the good old days racing GT 350's in the 60's. I also have a Harley hot rod [95 hp]with drag pipes. When I kick it, I want to make a statement. It's a bad ass sound.
Shoboat [ now you know how I got the name ]

Jason Watt

NFGT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hey Loud Boy,

I tried that but it was too much noise... :eek I then put the stock muffler back on, but stayed with the headers - AND that Rocks if you ask me.

Just listen to that WHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHH at DRIVE_BY

(It's my Sweden vid..:)

SLF360 said:
Guys,

just received my car with a new carboceramic clutch and the catless steel FRPP headers installed, into my Borla.

Boy, that sound rocks ! MMMUUUUCCCHHHH better than Borla alone. I think now I am just right, between city drivability and bad ass sound, when opening the throttle. The car also makes a beautiful sound around 4300rpm, beauutifullll !

Just what I wanted, you can drive it in a suit, and then you hit it and it turns into a deep Bass Baritone GT Stradale, clearly very, very Americano.!

Love it,

will try to file later on a soundfile for you guys.

cheers from Italy (boy, are they all scared of me now here)

Stefan

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Hey Mister Murray, let's see if we can clear up you screen name issues. I'm gonna cut everything after Shoboat off your name so from now on log in as "Shoboat" only. Same password. Let me know you read this and I'll do it as soon as you say "yes".

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey Ralphie, are you a big game hunter, too?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Hey Ralphie, are you a big game hunter, too?
Yep, but haven't been out in a long time. Now mainly go for upland birds (Chukar, Quail) and rabbits; mule deer when I can get a tag (~every three years or so).

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
I'm in SanClemente
Paul,

Have we met?

Jay
GTsaver
San Clemente, CA
(949) 366-1211

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
"Performance Muffler (P/N M-5230-GT) - consists of just a replacement muffler to the OEM unit. Slightly louder; lighter; nicer tips. May be used with any exhaust system that terminates in interface flanges that are located in the OEM location."

Is this street legal?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is this street legal?
According to the Ford Racing Parts Catalog, NO!

The Catalog states:

FORD GT PERFORMANCE MUFFLER KIT - M-5230-GT*
• Substantially louder than stock muffler
• Exits in stock location
• Mounts at all stock points
• Includes installation hardware
• OFF-ROAD ONLY! NOT STREET LEGAL!
• Strongly recommended if vehicle is equipped with M-9430-GT headers

* Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles.

Hollowpockets

GT Owner
May 15, 2014
Aberdeen, UK
Based on that video, the Accufab probably has the nicest sound IMO. lucky that the car I've bought has one, so excited to pick it up!

This forum is great by the way, lots of info and knowledge here which will make ownership a much more pleasant experience.

G

DBK

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
We'll have to redo this video this summer. I don't know what camera I was using back then, but it looks like it was filmed with a potato. :lol

This forum is great by the way, lots of info and knowledge here which will make ownership a much more pleasant experience.

G
Glad you are finding it useful!

sprite

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2008
I have headers into accufab x-pipe. It's pretty loud :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have headers into accufab x-pipe. It's pretty loud :)
I wouldn't know of a system that was any louder. It must make the FRPP rear exit headers sound tame.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I discovered this by accident. I was installing cutouts across the inlet to the outlet of the stock muffler thinking it would sound stock and bad A$$ loud at the flip of the switch. Well it did not work that way. When open I could not hear any difference at idle from stock. Seems the sound is out of phase with the inlet and outlet and the noise cancels even though the exhaust is bypassing the muffler and mostly going straight out the exhaust tip. When you drive the car you get a nice deep sound with absolutely no resonance and an athorative sound. When you step on it you get what you would expect...but not reduculous. The muffler runs pretty cool too since only 10% or so of the exhaust goes through it. I took out the cutouts as they were not needed. I have a 3 inch pipe from inlet to outlet. I put the Ford Cat delete muffler pipes in and run the stock muffler bypassed and love it. I still have the weight but the car was designed for it so big deal. I don't get any crap from the wife now about the sound and people think it sounds like it should.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Need to do static...

[video=youtube;Oih5v8wGGJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oih5v8wGGJo&list=UUFR0ZRDcjcCHlqqfa4laI0w&feature=share&index=1[/video]

...and drive-by...

[video=youtube;t3BDEZFj-Mw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3BDEZFj-Mw&feature=share&list=UUFR0ZRDcjcCHlqqfa4laI0w[/video]

...and listen on good speakers.

Shoboat

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 23, 2005
Toledo Ohio
Hey Mister Murray, let's see if we can clear up you screen name issues. I'm gonna cut everything after Shoboat off your name so from now on log in as "Shoboat" only. Same password. Let me know you read this and I'll do it as soon as you say "yes".
Go for it Dave. I just it on youtube.com he,he We made the BIG time.

Dirk P

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 18, 2006
Orlando Florida
Best of Both Worlds

I think I have figured out the solution to the GT exhaust. I have installed Electric Cut-outs and another set of tips. First I changed the stock exhaust to the Ford/borla. This was nice for a while, added a better sound and did a little for the performance. I was kicking around the idea of changing to the Ford racing exhaust like PikoJoes. I heard his at a car show and damn its LOUD. I did not want mine to be that loud all the time. So I got with Larry Macedo of Macedo Motor Sports and we figured a way to install the Electric-Cut outs. Due to the limitation on space we had to install the cut-outs after the cats and just above the bend where the exhaust ties into the Borla muffler. The new tips are angled down and you do not see them unless your on your knees looking under the car.

I will do my best to take a Video so everyone can hear what it sounds like.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
According to the Ford Racing Parts Catalog, NO!

QUOTE]

I hear ya Ralphie, but I have one on my car and do not believe the limitations listed in the product description are totally accurate.

I had my delivering dealer install the unit before I drove it off the lot. And if there was any limitation on emissions contamination, the dealer most certainly would not have assumed that liability. I can see no physical reason for the emissions statement.

Yes, the Ford Racing muffler M5230-GT (manufactured by Borla) is slightly louder than the OE muffler but only noticable under hard acceleration. Otherwise it is quite mellow with no driving harmonics. It is certainly more quiet than all other exhaust/muffler options guys are using on their GT's and I was in attendance for the "muffler-off" sound comparison at Rally I and heard them all first hand. The Borla was closest to the OE muffler and only slightly louder.

I would not hesatate in the least to put this muffler on a street driven GT.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Hope the camera person had earplugs.....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I installed the Ford Racing Performance Parts full rear exit header exhaust system (P/N M-9430-GTX), which has an EGR port at the end of the passenger side header, an O2 sensor port at each header collector, and final O2 sensors right after the racing mufflers. I have gotton no engine malfunction indications with this system, so I wonder if they may have put some palladium catalyst in the racing mufflers as an alternative to the cats.

Additionally, the removal of the OEM muffler, cat pipes with flanges, and cast iron manifolds and replacement with the M-9430-GTX exhaust system reduces the weight by 70 to 90 pounds. Feels like maybe 25-40 hp gain.

When standing on it, there is no doubt that from the volume that this is a full race exhaust system. Yet, at constant throttle, and mild acceleration, it is not noticable in the enclosed cockpit. I'm very happy with both the tone and the loudness factors.

The system is made for FRPP by Borla in Oxnard, CA, and they sent me the original installation manual as a 8 page PDF file, which shows all the installation photos in color, and they can be blown up full screen as they obviously were taken in high resolution digital form. If anyone would like to have a copy, I'll send it to you. Contact me at rlehots@aol.com

Ralphie

PS - the tips on its exhaust pipes are also much better looking

Last edited: