Complete Rally Exhaust Compilation

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
Bony,

Before the stainless works system you had the accufab cat back? How would you compare the sound quality between the two? More tuned sound with the SW headers? Or not?
How about the loudness between the two.

Thanks

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
The stainless works system with small cats is an all around more aggressive sound than the accufab. It is mean and loud when jumped on. I love the sound of it.

The accufab is nice if you want moderatly aggressive exhaust.

Stock to accufab to stainless are about = jumps.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
New use for Ford Racing M-9430-GTX's

The last car on the video is mine. " loud pipes makes your adrenlin flow" the are the Ford Racing Headers. They're only loud when you stand on it, sounds like a freight train on steroids. Absolutely awesome! I love it!!!!!!:biggrin:banana

Yesterday, I took a drive in the GT up to Reno (about 180 miles north), to visit an old high school friend I hadn't seen in 45 years, and to get some RedLine oil for my boat (let's not repeat the boat horror stories). As I reached home last night, I saw that the motion sensor light over the driveway was on - so I approached slowly - - - and saw a large bear in front of my entryway. I beeped the horn a couple of times, but the bear didn't move, so I gunned the engine twice. The bear quickly moved to the side of my house, and as I opened the garage door and drove in, I saw a small cub on the other side of the driveway - running away. As it's not prudent to harass a mother bear when her cub is around, I drove into the garage, closed the door, and shut down the engine. No problems were encountered. Ford Racing - Thank you!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey Ralphie, are you a big game hunter, too?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Hey Ralphie, are you a big game hunter, too?

Yep, but haven't been out in a long time. Now mainly go for upland birds (Chukar, Quail) and rabbits; mule deer when I can get a tag (~every three years or so).

sprite

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2008
I have headers into accufab x-pipe. It's pretty loud :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have headers into accufab x-pipe. It's pretty loud :)

I wouldn't know of a system that was any louder. It must make the FRPP rear exit headers sound tame.

sprite

GT Owner
Oct 27, 2008
I wouldn't know of a system that was any louder. It must make the FRPP rear exit headers sound tame.

I love it. People take cover and duck if I rev the engine.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I love it. People take cover and duck if I rev the engine.

I have just the FRPP cat deletes into a Heffner pipes. Loud, but not as loud as your setup. A nice side benefit is when passing someone, they hear me coming, adding to road awareness and safety!

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
sorry to ressurect an old thread, but what is the loudest STREET LEGAL exausts?
Or, are there any?

EDIT: Anybody have stillen exaust? how is it?

Last edited:

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
Yesterday, I took a drive in the GT up to Reno (about 180 miles north), to visit an old high school friend I hadn't seen in 45 years, and to get some RedLine oil for my boat (let's not repeat the boat horror stories). As I reached home last night, I saw that the motion sensor light over the driveway was on - so I approached slowly - - - and saw a large bear in front of my entryway. I beeped the horn a couple of times, but the bear didn't move, so I gunned the engine twice. The bear quickly moved to the side of my house, and as I opened the garage door and drove in, I saw a small cub on the other side of the driveway - running away. As it's not prudent to harass a mother bear when her cub is around, I drove into the garage, closed the door, and shut down the engine. No problems were encountered. Ford Racing - Thank you!

Have you had any problems from the cops? Btw, when inspection time comes around, will you pass? Does the Ford Racing exaust have a muffler? Or is it like the X-Pipes, just tubes.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want a new exaust :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The Ford exhaust is a muffler, cat back type.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Have you had any problems from the cops? Btw, when inspection time comes around, will you pass? Does the Ford Racing exaust have a muffler? Or is it like the X-Pipes, just tubes.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want a new exaust :biggrin

I have never had any problems with law enforcement with regard to the decibel level of the FRPP Rear Exit Headers, and I have over 30,000 miles on the car, most of which have been on 2 lane roads (the old US highways) going through small towns. My local police and CHP's have told me that they love the sound of it when I go by, but, of course, I don't hit it hard when I see them or when traveling through a small town or village. Where I live, inspections are not required unless a vehicle's ownership is being transferred. The collector at the end of the header pipes is referred to as a "racing muffler" by Ford, but it is only a large cone collector that tapers to the size of the exhaust pipes. There is nothing in it to muffle the exhaust, just the geometry of the cone to reflect the sound waves.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I had the Stillen exhaust.Very loud .To loud for me to live with.I now have the perfect,form,function and sound. I have the GT guys x pipe.This is a real cross over pipe.But the sound is so perfect !!! Unreal is all I can say!!!
Rich post pictures!!!!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The Ford exhaust is a muffler, cat back type.

(Frank is referring to the FRPP Performance Muffler)

There are 3 Ford Racing (FRPP) exhaust systems -

(1) - Long Tube Headers (P/N M-9430-GT) - consists of racing headers and eliminates Cats. May be used with the OEM muffler, or the FRPP Performance Muffler.

(2) - Performance Muffler (P/N M-5230-GT) - consists of just a replacement muffler to the OEM unit. Slightly louder; lighter; nicer tips. May be used with any exhaust system that terminates in interface flanges that are located in the OEM location.

(3) - Rear Exit Headers (P/N M-9430-GTX) - Replaces the complete exhaust system with racing headers, "racing muffler" (a collector cone), no Cats, and exhaust to the rear bumper location.

Pictures shown below in the order listed above:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
#3 sounds amazing, but I remember at rally 1 I was 3 lanes away from a car with that set up, under WOT conditions, and it was DEAFINING, I had to cover my ears, and quickly roll up the window.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
sorry to ressurect an old thread, but what is the loudest STREET LEGAL exausts?
Or, are there any?

EDIT: Anybody have stillen exaust? how is it?

Hands down, the loudest is #3 in post #75 above. If L-O-U-D is what you're after, look no further! That's your exhaust system right there. :wink

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
"Performance Muffler (P/N M-5230-GT) - consists of just a replacement muffler to the OEM unit. Slightly louder; lighter; nicer tips. May be used with any exhaust system that terminates in interface flanges that are located in the OEM location."

Is this street legal?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Is this street legal?

According to the Ford Racing Parts Catalog, NO!

The Catalog states:

FORD GT PERFORMANCE MUFFLER KIT - M-5230-GT*
• Substantially louder than stock muffler
• Exits in stock location
• Mounts at all stock points
• Includes installation hardware
• OFF-ROAD ONLY! NOT STREET LEGAL!
• Strongly recommended if vehicle is equipped with M-9430-GT headers

* Not legal for sale or use on pollution-controlled motor vehicles.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
According to the Ford Racing Parts Catalog, NO!

QUOTE]

I hear ya Ralphie, but I have one on my car and do not believe the limitations listed in the product description are totally accurate.

I had my delivering dealer install the unit before I drove it off the lot. And if there was any limitation on emissions contamination, the dealer most certainly would not have assumed that liability. I can see no physical reason for the emissions statement.

Yes, the Ford Racing muffler M5230-GT (manufactured by Borla) is slightly louder than the OE muffler but only noticable under hard acceleration. Otherwise it is quite mellow with no driving harmonics. It is certainly more quiet than all other exhaust/muffler options guys are using on their GT's and I was in attendance for the "muffler-off" sound comparison at Rally I and heard them all first hand. The Borla was closest to the OE muffler and only slightly louder.

I would not hesatate in the least to put this muffler on a street driven GT.