Whipple /turbo/ pulley and headers

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
Nice intake system :)
Boost by gear is great in a turbo or centrifugal car...but doesn't work in a PD blower setup. A good traction control system is the cat's meow.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Boost by gear is great in a turbo or centrifugal car...but doesn't work in a PD blower setup. A good traction control system is the cat's meow.

The best traction control I bought for the GT was my Mickey Thompson ET 2 drag radials. My car hooks so hard on the street I am afraid to use them because I know parts will break and the tranny is not a cheap date. 305 35 19 on my stock rims.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
What do I know, but I've been to several Mile venues in both Mojave and Texas and I haven't seen a Whippled GT ever have problems hooking up in third. In fact, in the TT's that we've had a hand in - each dyno'g at 1000 HP at the wheels - they've seldom had third gear hook up problems. In fact I'd say it was the top of third where the OEM clutches get put to the test and they have a tendency to slip before the tires. Now, I suppose if you get the tires REALLY lit up in second and TRY to carry the wheelspin to 3rd - perhaps it's possible but it's probably a skill you'd have to perfect as opposed to a condition to be afraid of.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
What do I know, but I've been to several Mile venues in both Mojave and Texas and I haven't seen a Whippled GT ever have problems hooking up in third. In fact, in the TT's that we've had a hand in - each dyno'g at 1000 HP at the wheels - they've seldom had third gear hook up problems. In fact I'd say it was the top of third where the OEM clutches get put to the test and they have a tendency to slip before the tires. Now, I suppose if you get the tires REALLY lit up in second and TRY to carry the wheelspin to 3rd - perhaps it's possible but it's probably a skill you'd have to perfect as opposed to a condition to be afraid of.

Good because I was thinking damn my shit is weak. Lol

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
What do I know, but I've been to several Mile venues in both Mojave and Texas and I haven't seen a Whippled GT ever have problems hooking up in third. In fact, in the TT's that we've had a hand in - each dyno'g at 1000 HP at the wheels - they've seldom had third gear hook up problems. In fact I'd say it was the top of third where the OEM clutches get put to the test and they have a tendency to slip before the tires. Now, I suppose if you get the tires.

I was thinking on the Dyno I might be slipping the clutch and that's why lower hp numbers. My car has 25000 miles stock clutch. Just a thought I had. What you think . After thinking about this cant be the case I am not shifting on the Dyno

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I did manage once to slip in all of 1st, 2nd and part of 3rd during a mile run at Mojave. But that was with 3.9 gears, cold tires, cold wet tarmac with 50F temp with it raining just minutes before hand. I just keep my foot in it, having TC, it was still a little beyond what I say would be comfortable. :lol

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I did manage once to slip in all of 1st, 2nd and part of 3rd during a mile run at Mojave. But that was with 3.9 gears, cold tires, cold wet tarmac with 50F temp with it raining just minutes before hand. I just keep my foot in it, having TC, it was still a little beyond what I say would be comfortable. :lol

In this case I'm going out this winter to see if I can get tire spin in forth

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

This. You really have to be trying to spin 1000 hp or less in third. I've had TT GT setups in 18/19, 19/20 on Bridgestones and Michelins and they just do not spin the tires in 3rd unless it's cold out or you've got surface problems. On a typical summer day, they don't even really spin 2nd. I've done more laps than I can count at MMP and you're foot to the floor in 2nd coming onto the front straight all the way to the top of 4th and I can really only recall one major loss of traction. If a GT with 800 hp on respectable tires is spinning over 100 mph, it's definitely not the power level that's making that happen. Hell, there's a video on YouTube of me making a pass in my GT with 600+ rwhp in 35 degree weather on OE Goodyears at the dragstrip and I managed to flat foot it through the traps at 133 mph.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

does boost by gear have to be run with a motec on a TT GT in order to work? is boost by gear compatible with SCT? what is needed to run boost by gear in TT GT?

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
the only time my car smokes second is at a low DA on a cold day. Bridgestone tires and 766 rwhp with a 4.0L Whipple and Borla headers, etc....

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
does boost by gear have to be run with a motec on a TT GT in order to work? is boost by gear compatible with SCT? what is needed to run boost by gear in TT GT?
SCT can't do boost by gear. The easiest way would be with a high end boost controller like an AMS1000....or a complete standalone such as a motec or proefi which would also give you a sweet tc setup.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
the only time my car smokes second is at a low DA on a cold day. Bridgestone tires and 766 rwhp with a 4.0L Whipple and Borla headers, etc....

Ya my car hazes the tires in 2nd until about 70 then hooks until redline. I also took out some timing down low so I have less power and more traction. I vbox all my tunes and found the one that gives the best performance on the street.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
SCT can't do boost by gear. The easiest way would be with a high end boost controller like an AMS1000....or a complete standalone such as a motec or proefi which would also give you a sweet tc setup.

so i take it that a AMS1000 is compatible with SCT then?

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The intake system came out great. Nice work sir!

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
so i take it that a AMS1000 is compatible with SCT then?

It's compatible with anything lol....it is a complete stand alone boost management system. Can be set up with or without CO2 for wastegate management, has boost vs time tables, shift tables, button actuated boost, all kinds of neat stuff. It's pretty much the industry standard as far as quality boost controllers go. Price is good too at right around $1K

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
It's compatible with anything lol....it is a complete stand alone boost management system. Can be set up with or without CO2 for wastegate management, has boost vs time tables, shift tables, button actuated boost, all kinds of neat stuff. It's pretty much the industry standard as far as quality boost controllers go. Price is good too at right around $1K

if i don't put a nitrous kit on my GT then TT with this AMS1000 is what i will do then :cheers obviously boost by gear is the ultimate on a runway :thumbsup

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Ya my car hazes the tires in 2nd until about 70 then hooks until redline. I also took out some timing down low so I have less power and more traction. I vbox all my tunes and found the one that gives the best performance on the street.

at Mojave my GT feels like it could hook ~ 850 rwhp in 2nd on bridgestone tires....

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
at Mojave my GT feels like it could hook ~ 850 rwhp in 2nd on bridgestone tires....
That's because of the DA. :lol

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I must have really shitty Pilot Sports. I can't hook in 2nd and I DO spin in 3rd as well. I have no issue breaking her loose in 3rd...but I'm talking about in the street. From what I'm seeing in this thread, you guys are mostly talking about track. Oh well.

My Z06 spins in 4th --

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I hesitate to weigh in here because members tend to sing the praises of whatever they own and opinions of turbo GT's are posted by some who have very limited experience with them. I have thousands of miles in both SC GT's and TT GT's and anybody who says that traction is more of a problem in the TT cars is just flat wrong. There is more to it than HP, TQ, and tires. The TT has a softer and smoother hit when it's spooling up than a supercharged GT. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I've been on the track with both setups and I feel much more secure with the TT GT. The biggest off I've had in my TT was the result of lift throttle oversteer (at VIR) but I have never oversteered my car accelerating with the TT's, I have with the SC with 200 less HP. I'm on board with the SC cars being quicker from 60 to 70 but the smoothness of the TT building power makes traction much less of a problem. Again, I have a lot of time in both setups.

Chip

Last edited: