Whipple /turbo/ pulley and headers

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
I double checked my memory with McGowan - E85 is not intended for the GT, otherwise it would have been deemed a flex fuel vehicle. E85 compatibility is very expensive due to changes to the entire fuel system. E85 destroys standard fuel system o-rings, seals and corrodes any non stainless lines and parts. So yes, fuel pumps, lines, rails, etc are at risk in a big way. I just don't know how long it will take before seeing issues.

Scott

thanx for the info :thumbsup i guess this would be a case where one would have a tune for it and just use it on the runway only so as to minimize damage through long term use. like all these guys who run a leaded race gas tune for the track only. the O2 sensors can handle lead for one race weekend but beyond that you have to replace them as you will get a false A/F ratio reading.....

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...the O2 sensors can handle lead for one race weekend but beyond that you have to replace them as you will get a false A/F ratio reading.....

I wouldn't count on that - after one track day with 110 Leaded, mine were burned out.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I wouldn't count on that - after one track day with 110 Leaded, mine were burned out.
Yes the O2s used with my big stuff 3 software did not last long using C16 I would chew them up. I just threw out like 10 used ones . Freddy use VP 109 unleaded . I heard that is good fuel. Some GTR guys run E85 and there cars are not flex fuel. When I used to run methanol injection 100 % a trick we did was to run a cap full of upper cylinder lube because that's stuff is corrosive.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona

i was refering to runway racing. road racing is way more miles....

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Yes the O2s used with my big stuff 3 software did not last long using C16 I would chew them up. I just threw out like 10 used ones . Freddy use VP 109 unleaded . I heard that is good fuel. Some GTR guys run E85 and there cars are not flex fuel. When I used to run methanol injection 100 % a trick we did was to run a cap full of upper cylinder lube because that's stuff is corrosive.

i am tuned for VP's MS109 unleaded :thumbsup

i run 100 octane Low Lead avgas in my Whipplecharged BIG Block chevy muscle boat. i add Marvel mystery oil to my fuel to keep everything lubed properly. avgas will dry everything out like meth....

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
i am tuned for VP's MS109 unleaded :thumbsup

i run 100 octane Low Lead avgas in my Whipplecharged BIG Block chevy muscle boat. i add Marvel mystery oil to my fuel to keep everything lubed properly. avgas will dry everything out like meth....

The only problem adding oil in the gas in a forced induction motor is you will have a better chance of detonation. This is why it is a good idea to vent the valve covers to a catch can and not the air stream.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
The only problem adding oil in the gas in a forced induction motor is you will have a better chance of detonation. This is why it is a good idea to vent the valve covers to a catch can and not the air stream.

i run one 1/2 ounce per gallon as they recommend. Marvel says that their product is for fuel. it has a very low viscosity.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I bought the Ohlins for street use. They ride better, and are specifically tweaked for every application. If you want lowered, you get a lowered package, and specific jounce bumpers (bump stops), sure the RT packages are for the track, but I got something inbetween the SS-1 and SL 1. I was OK with a little lowered, but did not want to go the full 1", because of ground clearance.

So who ever said Ohlins are just for the track was incorrect, or at least needs to qualify which package they refer to.

What you get in the street packages, is specific valveing, jounce bumpers, and an engineered product for your specific application. One note, you can use the 2 way adjustable, if you never think you are going to change springs. That is what I went with.

Oh yeah, even with this performance upgrade, I get the same, actually, better ride, and a package that can be rebuilt and freshened at any time. But also is not a race shock, that requires rebuilds.

I honestly don't have any rough riding issues with the car and was told not to bother with the Olins, unless I planned to do track, which I don't.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
I double checked my memory with McGowan - E85 is not intended for the GT, otherwise it would have been deemed a flex fuel vehicle. E85 compatibility is very expensive due to changes to the entire fuel system. E85 destroys standard fuel system o-rings, seals and corrodes any non stainless lines and parts. So yes, fuel pumps, lines, rails, etc are at risk in a big way. I just don't know how long it will take before seeing issues.

Scott

The gt fuel system is just fine for e85 and infact I have had e85 in my car for just about 4 years straight with out ever draining it or switching fuels, no problems nothing in the filters etc.

Next I highly doubt e85 was ever even a discussion when building the car.. Also for instance most if not all mustangs are not e85 compatible from the factory but yet there are a lot of them on e85. 2005 to present.

You can easily convert anything mid 80s and up on e85 and have no problems. Some rubber line has a 5 year life with the fuel. The aftermarket ind has proven e85 to be the opposite of what many beliefs are about corrosion etc.

sahlman

Ford GT Team Alumni
Jul 21, 2011
Verona, WI
The gt fuel system is just fine for e85 and infact I have had e85 in my car for just about 4 years straight with out ever draining it or switching fuels, no problems nothing in the filters etc.

Next I highly doubt e85 was ever even a discussion when building the car.. Also for instance most if not all mustangs are not e85 compatible from the factory but yet there are a lot of them on e85. 2005 to present.

You can easily convert anything mid 80s and up on e85 and have no problems. Some rubber line has a 5 year life with the fuel. The aftermarket ind has proven e85 to be the opposite of what many beliefs are about corrosion etc.

Surprisingly, E85 was discussed because it was at the same time when Ford started producing many flex fuel vehicles. However, I am certainly not an expert and am relaying what was conveyed to guys like Mark and me by Ford powertrain teammates. Also Ford's minimum standards are 10 years life. So, while 4 years is very good without trouble, it does not mean it will make it to 10. It seems to depend on ones level of comfort/risk in potentially replacing the fuel system down the road on a car that many will keep for decades.

Is your FGT fuel system completely stock? If not, it may be helpful to to list out aftermarket components like pumps, rails, lines, O-rings, sensors, etc.

Scott

Greg-TT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Corn user chiming in here. I'm the one who recently did E85 conversion on FGT with 3.4 whipple. Prior to conversion, we've taken extra measure and time to make sure FGT fuel system is suited for E85. Upon thorough inspection, we're glad to report that all fuel system related parts on FGT are E85 friendly. The only part we weren't 100% sure was fuel pump and it will be addressed in a few weeks. Only downside I see at this point would be suffered MPG. In So cal, there are only handful E85 stations so you do need to plan ahead for any long road trip. By the way, corn gave FGT an extra 130whp from 91. The engine now runs cooler by 10-15 deg despite we're running 4psi more than previous set up. Will be doing more testing at big willow coming weekend. Oh yeah, one more downside... It now needs a beefier clutch to cope with 700wtq at 2k.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Corn user chiming in here. I'm the one who recently did E85 conversion on FGT with 3.4 whipple. Prior to conversion, we've taken extra measure and time to make sure FGT fuel system is suited for E85. Upon thorough inspection, we're glad to report that all fuel system related parts on FGT are E85 friendly. The only part we weren't 100% sure was fuel pump and it will be addressed in a few weeks. Only downside I see at this point would be suffered MPG. In So cal, there are only handful E85 stations so you do need to plan ahead for any long road trip. By the way, corn gave FGT an extra 130whp from 91. The engine now runs cooler by 10-15 deg despite we're running 4psi more than previous set up. Will be doing more testing at big willow coming weekend. Oh yeah, one more downside... It now needs a beefier clutch to cope with 700wtq at 2k.

how much peak rwhp and rwtq did your car dyno with the E85 and how much boost are you running? would luv to see a dyno sheet if you got one....

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
The GT pumps seem to hold up just fine on E85 (plenty of guys have used the OE GT pumps in Mustangs on E85), however there are options out there for those that want to be sure.
http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/w-f10000302.htm

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Even if the FGT's fuel system is compatible with E85, given that you have to flow a lot more fuel with E85, do you have to change the injectors to larger ones and do the stock pump flow enough to feed a 3.4 or 4.0 Whipple with 19 to 21 PSI?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The GT pumps seem to hold up just fine on E85 (plenty of guys have used the OE GT pumps in Mustangs on E85), however there are options out there for those that want to be sure.
http://www.foreinnovations.com/product_p/w-f10000302.htm

Is a fuel pressure of 40 psi sufficient for the injectors? That's the pump pressure and doesn't take into account the pressure drop through the fuel system to the injectors.

MRL

Feb 22, 2013
From experience, we have pushed a stock gt fuel system to 1100rwhp with a 20v bap and id1000 injectors on gasoline. E85 requires about 40% more fuel at wot....so likely about 700-750rwhp would be the limit. An easy solution is a simple inline pump triggered off a window switch or hobs for wot activation....at that point its all about fuel volume and maintaining deltaP. Its easy to tune for and quite simple to rig up. I havnt tried yet, but from speaking with Justin from Fore, there is a 400lph pump that can be fitted in to replace the stock 255 units. The downside is they are not specifically designed to be used in a returnless setup so life expectancy of the pump suffers and they don't tune as well.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
E85 will be a struggle with the gt's due to only two fuel pumps. I'm working on some drop ins but still they will be limited even with a boost a pump attatched to them with how much power they will support..

Also glad to see someone else do e85 on a gt. obviously my car makes the most on e85 which is 1500rwhp. I do use a completely stock gas tank and then I have designed a secondary tank (surge tank) also with a big 3rd pump mounted in it and some fuel rails to make the fuel system a return style system.

I will add this, e85 is the cure all to heat soak and whipples. It makes the power repeatable all day long not to mention the 100+ hp you will instantly pick up. I've been doing e85 since 05 with great success and alL the cars I've done have been 500-1500whp

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Even if the FGT's fuel system is compatible with E85, given that you have to flow a lot more fuel with E85, do you have to change the injectors to larger ones and do the stock pump flow enough to feed a 3.4 or 4.0 Whipple with 19 to 21 PSI?

Would need bigger inj and bigger pumps. Stock pumps will only support 750rwhp on e85 even with boost a pump. You need 30% more fuel and we run a 11.6 af on boosted e85 combos and this is the af I run on my 1500whp gt on e85

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
In all honesty when you start making over 800whp with the gt unless you do a secondary fuel system at this point all your doing is trying to bandaid a system to make it supply more fuel and being the gas tank is so complex it's not easy like a mustang to correct it the right way IMO

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
In all honesty when you start making over 800whp with the gt unless you do a secondary fuel system at this point all your doing is trying to bandaid a system to make it supply more fuel and being the gas tank is so complex it's not easy like a mustang to correct it the right way IMO

This is why meth injection might work better if you do not want to add another pump. I was able to drop A/F numbers by a whole 1 point. A little extra room for boost or timing. And you get extra octane . Just one more thing to go wrong and if it fails boom .