Whipple /turbo/ pulley and headers

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I am lucky enough to know a guy in town who has 4 GT.s and he let me drive his stock with pulley/ headers and tune and his Heffner twin turbo. I own a 2006 4.0 whipple car and wanted to drive a turbo car if I wanted to go down that road some day. I also wanted to hear how loud his header car is. They all have there pros and cons. Now I just need one of each so I don't have to change things, LUCKY GUY :wink

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
so what did you think about the turbo?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
The turbo car was a work of art. The test I wanted to perform was the difference between the feel of tip in( not at WOT ) and Tip in ( at WOT ) . The turbo makes power as we know higher in the RPM band. I have been a blower guy my whole life racing in a straight line. The fastest I have been was 7.9 in the ¼ mile with a small block 347 ford. Having said that this is MY opinion about the two choices . I have not had a lot of seat time in the turbos but I think I have a good feel for power levels. So first. On an open road in third gear the turbos will outperform any blower car to top end. We know this by MPH in the Mile. Now to me the turbo car felt lazy on tip in (normal driving) and unpredictable at WOT on a 2nd gear from 58 mph. What I mean about unpredictable is that the power is lazy until the turbos spool up and then bang you are 70mph over powering your rear tires (unless you have DRs on maybe) . This power again is great for third, fourth and fifth gear but let’s face it how many time are we in these upper gears at WOT. Most of the time you’re on the Freeway and the Z06 or muscle car pulls up they want to go from about 50mph or 60mph and I would feel unsafe in the turbo car unless I had my MT Et rears on. I did VBOX my combo and from 60 to 100 I am at 2,79 seconds. I will VBOX his car next time to give more accurate info. OK now let’s talk track car. Again I am not bashing any turbo cars because they have their place in racing also. (Mile) In the turbo car I would think that it would be hard to power out of any curves with any sort of confidences because if you miss the power band you will be sideways in a hurry. So because of this I think you have to be a much better driver to handle a turbo GT and if you are that person kudos to you. I think I will stay Blower at this point. Even Better would be a centrifugal blower like Dan has done because that is the best of both worlds low and high boost. I picked up 1 sec back in the day same boost just switching from a roots to a centrifugal blower. Again if you have a turbo car maybe after more seat time you have mastered some of the things I have brought up. thx again Glen for the test drives awesome cars

Mark

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Turbo and midengined is a combination for those looking for a challenge. Especially if you're driving on anything else than a straight :)

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
0 turbo lag on my hennessey car pulls hard right of the line

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
0 turbo lag on my hennessey car pulls hard right of the line

TT/SC version?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What I mean about unpredictable is that the power is lazy until the turbos spool up and then bang you are 70mph over powering your rear tires (unless you have DRs on maybe) .

Not the case. Car will hook with 800-900 hp in 2nd at 60 mph riding regular Bridgestones unless it's cold out, in which case the same thing will happen with 600 hp.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
I much prefer blowers...but I will say, at 60 MPH on hot pavement on my Pilot Sports @ almost 800 RWHP (Whipple only), the car DOES NOT hook well in 2nd. I can't just mash the throttle, have to squeeze it and once it's even close to WOT, it's a challenge to keep her straight until the end of 2nd (100 and a bit in my case). Shifting into 3rd at 100 she starts to spin again all the way through till the end of 3rd.

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
I thought so. :thumbsup

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Not the case. Car will hook with 800-900 hp in 2nd at 60 mph riding regular Bridgestones unless it's cold out, in which case the same thing will happen with 600 hp.

Again every car might be setup different. The tune makes a diff and the tires. This car was lowered so I would guess less weight transfer might hurt. If I had turbos I am sure I would and could tune around some tire spin maybe. I still did not like the feel of the spool (just me) Power is only good if you can get it down to the road. More traction and you will start to break parts. Traction will find the weakest link fast. Again one is not better than the other it is just what you like thie best. If I had turbos I would make that combo work the best it could for what it is.. But Damn spiining the tires all thru 3rd with a whipple. My car must be weak I have never had 3rd gear spin. kinda sad about that .lol

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
What pulley are you running? What kind of power are you making? You should have no issue if Whippled to high 700 HP.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
What pulley are you running? What kind of power are you making? You should have no issue if Whippled to high 700 HP.

21 psi boost pump gas. Torrie Tune

My combo was off about 60hp before I added the Whipple . My car had a pulley and a tune when I got it. Than after I added the WHipple it made about 130 more HP.(we dynoed before adding the whipple. I thought about chasing the 60hp but the car runs perfect, pulls hard with little tire spin in 2nd ( I have way bigger tires than stock) and runs Great from 60 to 130 and awesome from 60 to 100. 2,79 seconds . Vbox times not at the track. I thought about going turbo and thought about changing stock headers and borla exhaust looking for more power. The exhaust might pick me up some HP but not sure if it is worth the extra 50hp. I went down that road a few years back and made 1200 plus hp and it is a never ending game. If the car was slow I would consider chasing the Hp. Than I sit back and think hello I own a Ford GT that runs and sounds great, looks bad ass and is the best car ever what more do I need.:thumbsup

DSC05390.jpg

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Well, that's all true enough! I'm just surprised that you have such little wheelspin in 2nd. I'm also running much bigger tires over stock and 2nd spins and spits rubber all the way through the gear till 100 MPH. That car is sure sexy as hell though!

When I started with the whipple, I went up 200 HP with the 19 PSI pulley over where it was with a with a pulley and tune and exhaust. You did install the MaFIA, right?

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
You did install the MaFIA

I made a post in the tech section about this. I made a custom intake . Here is the short story. I made the mass air 20% bigger looking for more boost and I do not use the Mafia because the mass air meter is now in range with the airflow coming in at WOT. Twin 52lb injectors and JMS boost a pump. JMS is not being used because A?F numbers on the dyno did not show signs going lean on top of 4th gear. Maybe in a mile run it would be needed. I was thinking I have a baffle in the exhaust cutting off air but just a guess. like I said before not sure where to start and not sure I want to :bang

I

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 245

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
All I can say is your car looks wicked. Love the wheels and the stance is nasty looking.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
All I can say is your car looks wicked. Love the wheels and the stance is nasty looking.
I totally agree looks badass

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
Cars with to much power down low have a option of boost by gear device I have been talking with the gt guys in the past . the tt galardos with a lot of horsepower runing this system why can the gt cars have it just a taught that goes thru my mind when I get a little to much wheel spin

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Traction control can tame as much wheel spin as you want it to.

I have a Whipple and when I had the stock gears even the Goodyears (warm) would hook up in 2nd without any problems. If you rolled on the throttle. If you shifting into 2nd near the torque peak at WOT yes it will spin and keep spinning. Dynamic tire friction is much less than kinetic friction.

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/ben_townsend/staticandkineticfriction.htm

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Traction control can tame as much wheel spin as you want it to.

I have a Whipple and when I had the stock gears even the Goodyears (warm) would hook up in 2nd without any problems. If you rolled on the throttle. If you shifting into 2nd near the torque peak at WOT yes it will spin and keep spinning. Dynamic tire friction is much less than kinetic friction.

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2002.web.dir/ben_townsend/staticandkineticfriction.htm

Ok then looking at the scientific explanation my car is N . Wait my car is not N because I have a weak whipple combo. Then my tires are bigger so I think my F would be 1.5 tire to concrete vs stock tire size. Hmmm got it. I feel smarter now.

For a second I thought I was in Ferrari chat, lol remember we are ford guys. Friction x torque = tire smoke

Love you guys lol.