Traction Control

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
There just be sumpthin' plain blasphemous 'bout even considerin' doin' like that!!!

That's what the last police officer told me when I was accidently driving about 12 mph over the speed limit.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
The full throttle shift feature sounds really cool.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Cruise control is not possible with the current hardware. Besides if EP didn't need it, neither do you. Of course EP didn't need traction control either, or and engine for that matter. :rofl

:tap: :slap

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
There just be sumpthin' plain blasphemous 'bout even considerin' doin' like that!!! :ack

EP, I respect your opinion, but some of us just like to go against the grain. If this were an option I'd take it in a heartbeat even if I blasphemed. Heck, I have it on my other slightly high powered cars (GT500's), and use it all the time.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
:tap: :slap

I feel your pain...a thread on traction control turns into annother jab at EP. The only thing I can say is, these guys really like you.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I feel your pain...a thread on traction control turns into annother jab at EP. The only thing I can say is, these guys really like you.

:lol Okay! If you say so! :lol :cheers

EP, I respect your opinion...

'Lonely out there all by yer own darn 'seff'...izzunit... :biggrin :willy

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
I don't know, I actually find it pretty easy to maintain a constant speed (with comfort) without cruise control in the FGT. It's powerband lends itself well to steady-state cruising. (And I love cruse control!)

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
I find using cruise control helps prevent me from getting speeding tickets!
If I am on the highway for a few hours I tend to creep faster as the day goes by and my mind wanders I tend to speed up.
Mike

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Yes................ the system "has" been developed and is presently being integrated into gal number 2 at this time.

Traction control....... launch control ....... full throttle shift have all become a part of the system with it integrated as if OEM.

This project, has taken a significant amount of time; many many months and required the committed participation and support from many so as to insure that the results meet my highest level of expectation. This system began as a no compromise project aka a clean sheet of paper and then the hardware used and created is considered to be the best, the primary brain, secondary electronics, even down to the extreme shielded Cat 7 cable and the Deutsch connectors.

Now it needs to be shared that Clinton aka BlackIce and Jay aka Analog Designer have been keys to allowing this project becoming a reality.

FYI; there will be two gals at the Rally with the system fully integrated; the gal that the R&D work was completed with and the first fully integrated installation/system.

Below are a few pictures showing some of the D/A specific electronics as designed for the Ford GT, one of the many custom wiring harnesses, and a view of the gal’s boot area once components were integrated within. This is a scope and magnitude integration with the gal’s having to be massaged from stem to stern as there are harnesses and control modules strategically placed from her arse to her nose with the final touch being the integration of the OEM appearing controls.

Takes care

Shadowman

Shadowman,
Have you come up with a figure $ for this? You can pm if you want.
Thanks,
John

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Tim,

That's exactly what happens to me. If I relax and start enjoying the ride, my speed creeps up on me also. I know one of these days, it will end up with a ticket instead of a warning. Sure wish it had cruise control so you wouldn't have to keep looking at the speedometer constantly and could relax a little more.

Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman,
Have you come up with a figure $ for this? You can pm if you want.
Thanks,
John

......... I am working on it..... actually at the moment I am working on a few gals that need to be ready for the Rally however I will tend to it soon.

FYI; I was out of town for a few days which created a significant compression of time requirement on this end.

It has always been my intention to have the systems operational at the Rally and by that time to have my proverbial ducks in a row however...... sooner than expected the cat was out of the bag as such I will advance my time table as I can.

Now for those that feel it is not needed recognize that as with most things in life choice is "king" at least for me it is. The system allows for IMO peace of mind for those that truly drive the gals regardless of the weather and then for those looking to push the performance envelope and exercise her hard this is another means to maximize this effort, and then for those that are simply into the getting the most out of the gals launch control and full throttle shifting will be well received.

It is not for all and yet for all that have the system integrated they will be very happy.

Takes care

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
IMHO it adds a lot to enjoyment of a FGT with a Whipple and 3.9 gears. Now even a rookie driver like me can get maximum thrust out of the 1st and 2nd on Goodyears and launching it is as simply as flooring it and dropping the clutch. :biggrin

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
shadowman, I assume you have done a lot of research on the race-logic products which model would you recomend for a data logger to go with your race-logic traction controller.I am currently looking at there data-loggers for our race GT.
ps Is your T.C. unit cutting the injectors or spark, just i'm a bit concerned as to cylinder temps if the injectors are used to control rpm.as our races are up to 12 hours long.as the GT with a whipple is not a comfortable car to race in the rain without T.C.
I am interested in your unit,let me know when you have pricing and availibility.
:cheers
Neil
NZ05GT

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
adjustable TC

Neil - I was speaking with Steve Millen this year about his brakes when I mentioned TC for our cars. He recommended the TC to be manually adjustable which is a major feature of the DATC. On long races he would start off with little TC & slowly crank in more as tires wore, surface conditions changed, etc.

Ed

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Ed
Thanks for the info
Neil

Lorenzo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2008
U.S.A.
Is there any new development on this project?

Was there any testing done at the recent mile event?

If so, was it indicative of future success ?

Aug 25, 2006
Is there any new development on this project?

Was there any testing done at the recent mile event?

If so, was it indicative of future success ?

Yes it was and the traction control was a great success and then on Saturday we played at the drag strip for a few hours during which we began the process of dialing the launch control. The ability to manipulate the system through software offers and endless number of personal adjustments.

Takes care

Shadowman

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Shadowman, when do you expect to have the units availible for sale,and pricing,
Keep up the good work.
:cheers
Neil

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
TC/LC by DA (Traction Control/Launch Control by Discovery Automotive)

The TC worked great on my GT at the Rally. It was my first time on the 1/4 mile but I just floored the gas pedal with the LC & popped the clutch when the light turned green. My foot never left the floor until I crossed the 1/4 mile marker. The LC backs the throttle off as you shift. The TC kept the rear wheels from spinning. My reaction time was slow but I did an 11.1sec 133mph run on the second try. I really liked it on the road course as the TC also helps reduce both understeer & oversteer since it measures the difference between the front & rear wheel rotations. The TC adjustment is for 100%, 20%, 15%, 10%, 5% & 0% slip. Fabulous creation & the best mod I've done so far (& I've done a lot!).

Ed

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
What I can say is that I am far from the best driver and have never street raced, (always obeying the laws of man and nature) and have only made one run down a drag strip in 1991. Given my lack of experience and the torque of my FGT with a Whipple and Stillens gears I can honestly say that I would never have ran the times that I did without traction control. Especially with the cement walls being so close! I would only done a very mild launch. I have seen too many cars lose traction and with a rookie driver lift and hit a wall! This is why some FGT owners chose not to make any runs down the drag strip. Watch the videos of the my car at Rally IV. You can hear Roketman having to lift soon out of the gate from wheelspin. All I did was put the pedal to the metal with TC.

I know that with further tweaking I should be able to get the 60' times better, hopefully in the range of a good driver without TC. After my last adjustment that day I got the 60' times to 1.96 sec. I know that I will never have a great ET since my shifting times sucks and not wanting to risk the gearbox, I don't see that getting any better anytime soon.

BTW, I was using the orignal 4 year old stock GY that worn almost to the wear bars.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16976&highlight=videos&page=2

TC also allows more aggressive use of the go pedal in less than ideal conditions with less concerns with cold tires and or slick pavement or an over abundance of torque. To me that = more FUN and smiles.

Last edited: