Rally 8 Scheduled September 3-7, 2013

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
What an awesome part of the country. Sounds like a lot of fun.
I only wish it wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to ship car from FL to CA.
Will be less stressful for me not having to worry about trashing my car on the track.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Dave, thanks for the detailed account of your efforts to get us on a track.
The Peoples Republic of California has spoken! :facepalm:
At some times I'm even amazed they still let us drive cars like the GT around, period.
This event is going to be incredible.
Thanks again for your efforts and you too, Ed!

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
The Cruise to Cali from Arizona and the run through the mountains were one of the best Rally's there was. I remember getting to that little restaurant at the top and she was overwhelmed when 10 of us came in..we laughed and told her well hold on there are another 50-60 behind us :)

Looking forward to it and bringing the car this year.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I only wish it wasn't going to cost me an arm and a leg to ship car from FL to CA.
Will be less stressful for me not having to worry about trashing my car on the track.
What are you complaining about?I have to ship from Ma!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

You could always just drive it! :lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Bummer on no track, but understand it. Well will save me 2k in tires and brake parts. So looks like I will be spending my birthday in Cali (sept 11th)...

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Boy, do we have a party planned for you!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

At the last California Rally (Rally II), we had an incredible road rally. Everybody went at their own pace and there were several groups of cars, some traveling fast, some just cruising. We all gathered at a cool little restaurant up in the mountains near the end of the day. Shortly after returning home I wrote about my recollection of that day and I have cut and pasted that review below.

Chip

------Gentlemen,

Since the California Rally, just before going to sleep at night, my mind often wanders back to those deserted mountain roads in central California. With my veins pumping a 50-50 mix of blood and adrenaline, diving into corners marked with yellow '25 mph' caution signs, constantly shifting G forces fore, aft, and laterally with brake discs glowing red hot, Goodyear Eagles near the limits of adhesion, and the rush of acceleration produced by 550 plus horsepower Ford V-8's as they consumed a gallon of premium fuel every 5 miles. GTs ahead of me and GTs behind me providing the most surreal LeMans visuals set to the soundtrack of my screaming un-baffled Accufab exhaust singing in harmony with those of other Forum members. My young son Charley both thrilled and horrified by the entire scene as he stands on the imaginary passenger-side break pedal, but says not a word until breaking his silence with, "oh my gosh dad, these old guys can drive!". And at the end of the day, still on a high, a newfound respect for the ability's of both the car's and their owners. (I've been on road rallies with a few different car owner groups. None of them even comes close to displaying the level of skill and balls that I saw that day. GT owners can indeed, DRIVE!) For those few hours, that childhood fantasy, was reality. It is hard to put a price on all of that. Cheers.

Chip ---------

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Let me know if anyone wants a co-pilot!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
While I enjoy the Track, usually one day is enough for me, so to not have to deal with it this year will be a nice change. I always enjoy the road trips more. Gonna be a lot of fun

+1

Great job Dave and Ed!

I too agree with most, I am perfectly comfortable with our rally this year not having a track event. Rally 2 with the previously posted pictures of us gathered at the small restaurant at the top of the mountain drive was spectacular! And I am sure Dave’s stellar planning of this year’s event will be equally great.

Yep, a long way to travel for some, but oh so worth the contact time with fellow owners and friends.

I am in and cannot wait to see the wine country in my GT!!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Can we start planning the road rally caravan to the rally? Anyone driving or trailering to the left coast? I amseriously thinking about trailering the GT out there. A bit far for the wife and I to drive the GT.

Or we could arrange a transport to load a group at a central location or two...say Texas or Jonesboro and split the cost of enclosed transport? Just thinking out loud. I am excited and really would like to make it out there.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Because of the long distances involved, I'm gonna start working on some deals with carriers.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Sounds like a lot of fun. Any Tulsa guys interested in splitting transport costs?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I spoke to dbtgt and he expressed an interest in shipping his car out, and I believe he's in that general area.

SSRob

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 9, 2012
Oklahoma
Yes, I met him this last Saturday. Nice guy and of course, cool car!

We took the GT500 on a group drive a couple years ago and met a fella that had a SuperSnake. He PM'd me here a few days ago and said he'd just bought a GT. I'm going to check with him and dbt. I also met another guy Saturday that has two GT's...not active on the forum. Transport split 3 or 4 ways would be a drop in the bucket.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Exciting news, looking forward to it! Thanks for all the hard work Dave and Ed!

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Well done Dave, we will be there...........GO BLU

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...I will host a Rally to the Rally event at my home in Scottsdale, AZ for members traveling to westbound through AZ on the way. I'm in and REALLY looking forward to this!!

Chip

Chip -

Is it OK if I don't make the Rally-to-the-Rally this year?

It just doesn't seem logical to drive to Arizona and then back home....

Ralphie

Last edited:

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

Easy solution - take a nice long drive in your GT - :thumbsup

Make it a great vacation!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007

PS - You too - drive it!!! :thumbsup

The more hours spent behind the wheel of a Ford GT are the most pleasurable memories.

I know Jeff will go along with me on this, as our drives to VIR and Austin were fantastic!

Last edited: