Heffner Performance & Cool Tech LLC

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Thanks Torrie. It is still just so simply amazing how much HP these cars can put down.... and then just drive as normal and docile as a Camry around town. AMAZING engineering!

Most definitely Kendall, this platform is so special its hard for me to define it in words sometimes. I love to witness people understand this fact its a life changer.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Kendall, all this have done is make me ponder.... Should I ? Should I not ? I need a ride...Hook me UP !!!

Congrats on an awesome story...

Once you go for a ride, there is no turning back.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida

Ooohhh I can attest to this myself. There is a video somewhere of me experiencing just this with really great hair to boot.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
SHUT UP!!!! All of you Heffner advocates...... I am trying to avoid the bite. I have been only half infected thus far.

When we finished up the car last Friday night - we double checked all of our vac and boost lines to the boost controller and waste gates. (Just one of these inadvertently in the wrong place - especially on one turbo and not the other might give you headaches!) Anyway, satisfied that we had everything right and using the LM2 to datalog fuel pressure (at the rail), Boost Pressure, AFRs, and RPMs, we turned the boost controller essentially off and proceeded for a test drive with yours truly at the wheel. (Did I mention I don't like driving customer cars!). With the car warm and running perfectly, we made a a couple of runs up to 5K rpm on a slight hill to validate baseline boost pressures (about 10psi, BTW). This is a completely different feeling that the SC car. The car DEFINITELY felt strong. This is all that we wanted to validate before heading off to the dyno the next morning.... and I was already kind of excited about the way the car felt.

At the dyno the next morning, we essentially replicated this conservative test.... and saw about 560HP on the dyno. (Wow, my buttmeter would have said more!)

Anyway, you know the end of the story. When we ended the dyno session with a 920HP run - almost DOUBLE the run I FELT that previous night. One thing was for DAMN sure..... there's no way I'm driving that car with 2X the HP!! I want my mommy! I can't afford to get bitten!

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Ooohhh I can attest to this myself. There is a video somewhere of me experiencing just this with really great hair to boot.

This is partly your fault Torrie, it was your comments in Miami...and that video that pushed me over t he top... and by the way, THANK YOU!!!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
This is partly your fault Torrie, it was your comments in Miami...and that video that pushed me over t he top... and by the way, THANK YOU!!!

What are friends for Buddy ! In Miami I should have thrown you into the passenger seat of my car and got it over with instantly. I apologize for not forward thinking that one I was in Race mode at that point.

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
What are friends for Buddy ! In Miami I should have thrown you into the passenger seat of my car and got it over with instantly. I apologize for not forward thinking that one I was in Race mode at that point.

No worries, that would have been great down the mile. I had already had some seat time with Shelby in his TT and I was predisposed to doing this all along. I really was very happy with the 4.0 Whipple, especially with your tunes. Now I get to enjoy the car as a new experience once again. The fun never seems to end. You helped with the Heffner tunes also, right?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
No worries, that would have been great down the mile. I had already had some seat time with Shelby in his TT and I was predisposed to doing this all along. I really was very happy with the 4.0 Whipple, especially with your tunes. Now I get to enjoy the car as a new experience once again. The fun never seems to end. You helped with the Heffner tunes also, right?

That is one of the truly neat points about spending time in these cars in multiple configurations. You get a whole new level of respect about how they react setup differently. It is an endlessly gratifying road to travel down.

As to your last point Jason's TT calibrations are his own. I have worked within them for special projects but I didn't have a hand in their initial creation.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Do you have a C.A.R.B. approval for the TT package, if not what do you do to get by emissions testing. I have a 2005 that is due for testing in October, I suppose you could have it tested and then do the install but you have to test again every two years so would you have to do a reinstall of stock components?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Feel the need?

Gentlemen,

At Rally V, I think that Torrie, DBK, Terry, Shelby, Rick, and I should organize a track sesson where we can take any GT owner who is thinking about Twin Turbos out for a few laps to feel what it's like. 1050 HP on C16 is mind bending. 200 MPH in the Mile???? Yawn.

Chip

Attachments

• Speed 220.jpg
    Speed 220.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Speed Cert.jpg
    Speed Cert.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 100

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Gentlemen,

At Rally V, I think that Torrie, DBK, Terry, Shelby, Rick, and I should organize a track sesson where we can take any GT owner who is thinking about Twin Turbos out for a few laps to feel what it's like. 1050 HP on C16 is mind bending. 200 MPH in the Mile???? Yawn.

Chip

Right on !

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Do you have a C.A.R.B. approval for the TT package, if not what do you do to get by emissions testing. I have a 2005 that is due for testing in October, I suppose you could have it tested and then do the install but you have to test again every two years so would you have to do a reinstall of stock components?

I don't know the status of CARB approval for the TT. That is exactly why I originally went with the 4.0 Whipple.:thumbsup Fully CARB approved and really is fantastic. :thumbsup:thumbsup I highly recommend it for anyone on the fence. My problem is it wasn't a TT and that is what I always wanted from the start! Kalifornia is what talked me out of it. After the first year of ownership passed I started to realize, (rationalize) a few things. My car spends most of it's time on the roads of California in a trailer(her idea actually). I know many get the pleasure of driving from point A to B, but with the trailer we can bring all our stuff and enjoy driving the car at the events - and don't worry about it between. At this stage we can only afford this one and want to keep it nice for as long as possible. Next I realized I had a vision of what this great car was to me (TT) and I did not want to compromise my dream, (as if the Whipple could ever be considered a compromise):rolleyes (Thanks Jason,Shelby, Chip, Torrie, Ray, etc...) Fortunatelly, my wife has been endlessly understanding and supportive of this all. (I think she actually loves this as much as I do). The last factor for me is I have an out of state address and have limited time I want to stay in California. I did keep the stock components just in case this changes. (The sad thing is I spent extra to get the cat system and it will pass emissions - except the ridiculous visual requirement in Kalifornia.) :ack Again, stock stuff retained...

Last edited:

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Gentlemen,

Chip

I almost feel like the people that move into the brand new house in the really nice neighborhood that now thinks there should be a moratorium on any more...:biggrin
It is really a great idea! (The track sessions)

Last edited:
H

HHGT

If you're in Kalifornia, a TT will not pass Smog. If you have a stock/whipple SC with a TT you may get away with it if you keep them focused on the SC CARB. On that note, anyone with a Whipple in CA should carry a copy of the CARB certificate with them in the car, just in case the CHP decide to get cute.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I don't know the status of CARB approval for the TT. That is exactly why I originally went with the 4.0 Whipple.:thumbsup Fully CARB approved and really is fantastic. :thumbsup:thumbsup I highly recommend it for anyone on the fence. My problem is it wasn't a TT and that is what I always wanted from the start! Kalifornia is what talked me out of it. After the first year of ownership passed I started to realize, (rationalize) a few things. My car spends most of it's time on the roads of California in a trailer(her idea actually). I know many get the pleasure of driving from point A to B, but with the trailer we can bring all our stuff and enjoy driving the car at the events - and don't worry about it between. At this stage we can only afford this one and want to keep it nice for as long as possible. Next I realized I had a vision of what this great car was to me (TT) and I did not want to compromise my dream, (as if the Whipple could ever be considered a compromise):rolleyes (Thanks Jason,Shelby, Chip, Torrie, Ray, etc...) Fortunatelly, my wife has been endlessly understanding and supportive of this all. (I think she actually loves this as much as I do). The last factor for me is I have an out of state address and have limited time I want to stay in California. I did keep the stock components just in case this changes. (The sad thing is I spent extra to get the cat system and it will pass emissions - except the ridiculous visual requirement in Kalifornia.) :ack Again, stock stuff retained...

this = Awesome

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

There is no explicit CARB EO number for the TT. It is believed that with the optional CAT'd exhaust, the car WILL pass the sniff test. Depending on who does the visual, they may or may not know that a GT looks this way in the engine compartment. Second, it is rumored that some smog stations may be more relaxed about the visual... some will look for way to make it fail while others may choose not to make it their business to know what every car should look like under the hood.

Of the 3 cars that we are converting - none of them are registered in California.

H

HHGT

There is no explicit CARB EO number for the TT. It is believed that with the optional CAT'd exhaust, the car WILL pass the sniff test. Depending on who does the visual, they may or may not know that a GT looks this way in the engine compartment. Second, it is rumored that some smog stations may be more relaxed about the visual... some will look for way to make it fail while others may choose not to make it their business to know what every car should look like under the hood.

Of the 3 cars that we are converting - none of them are registered in California.

Kendall is correct. The smog station has a lot to do with keeping it on a Kalifornia plate. :thumbsup:thumbsup

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Kendall is correct. The smog station has a lot to do with keeping it on a Kalifornia plate. :thumbsup:thumbsup

I guess so, for those who are the "hope and pray" types, or should is say "hope and PAY?"

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Apparently the quest for ludicrous speed is not carb approved. :driving:

FordGT4fun

Gentlemen,

Chip

Nice certificate Chip you can be proud:thumbsup:thumbsup. I hope to get such a diplom one day. Dreaming is so wonderful :sleep:
Regards
Pierre