Has a project ever really gotten away from you!

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
One of my projects is a 1983 Ferrari 308 QV. I decided to do a complete ground up on it and do a complete engine mod. So we pulled the engine and sent he body off to a local restorer and the engine/transaxle was sent to Carobu Engineering. I had a long list of mods for the engine, clutch and transaxle.

The engine has increased from 3.0 to 3.5, which entails new sleeves, new hi/comp forged pistons, Carillo rods, custom new crank, EFI, direct ignition, new cams, port & polish heads, larger valves, etc. etc. etc. Then new big brake, new rack and pinion (changing to a 2.5 ratio), radiators (oil and water). New Larini SS headers and exhaut.

I am redesigning the a/c to all servo control. Thenk all the wiring is being pulled and I'm install a ISIS system to control everything. If you think of it I am going to replace it with optimum components: HID, LED, etc.

Interior is being completely redone all custom.

So, all of sudden I stopped to think of what I would have when it was done.

HP: was 240 hp -- new would be 350hp
Body: Dark Blue -- new Dark Blue

Cost: was 30k --- new well I'm still bleeding and it would amaze even the most ardent supporter of my madness.

Lets just say it will be in 6 digits.

So, please I'm trying to feel ok right now (2nd drink) and I'm trying to get some feeling of forgiveness going. Now I'm telling you the car will be very cool, but I am really starting to question my santity.
:screwy:

John

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Your not mad, just following your passion. The car will be one unique bad a$$ 308 when you are done. Please post progress photos.

Another 308 owner that got kicked off of Fchat has a similar desire, but is putting a modified 400i engine into the car, doing most all of the work himself. That defines "labor of love."

H

HHGT

I have often questioned my own moments of insanity and somehow keep repeating my craziness. You can always make more money, you can't buy an experience.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Ok here is a pic of the body stripped and of the engine assembled, but not completed. Since I own a machine shop I have been making some parts for it.
Thanks guys for making me feel sane.
John

Attachments

• Engine+Assembly+Process+028.jpg
    Engine+Assembly+Process+028.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,006
  • Photo083.jpg
    Photo083.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,002

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
its gona be one hell of a car when its done and you will enjoy it for a long time, just by looking at it it will remind you of the time you spend fixing her up and that will make you feel good, it doesnt right now , but it will in the future, I was involved with some projects of sort, not to this degree, but the feeling was the same, although I somewhat enjoyed the process at the begenning of the project I was usually miserable by the middle to the end, and often questioned my sanity as to why I would get myself involved in such a thing, but almost always when its finished you get the feeling of accomplishment that you could never get if you had paid for it! jus my .02

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Nice looking engine! Seems sane to me!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
...although I somewhat enjoyed the process at the begenning of the project I was usually miserable by the middle to the end, and often questioned my sanity as to why I would get myself involved in such a thing, but almost always when its finished you get the feeling of accomplishment that you could never get if you had paid for it! jus my .02

I have had the same experience. I remember sweating in my garage for days, with little sleep, getting the car ready for Rally 4. :ack

I might have thrown in the towel without Shadowman lending his full support and encouragement from a far. :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
I think that your project is "BADASS"

I like the stem to stern approach with personal tweaks and extreme detailing throughout

IMO one should "never" look as those moments are gone and by doing so this will only cloudy the waters; stay focused and she will be another one of your dreams realized.

Truly very cool

Shadowman

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I really, really, appreciate all the kind words guys. I have always like the process almost as much as the end product, but this one I decided to leave no stone unturned. My wife who is a big supporter sees the end closer than I do. She asked me the other day how long if would be before we were driving it. I kinda chuckled a little looking at the ground and told her I'm shooting for late spring of next year and that would be a great accomplishment. She frowned, but said it was just that she couldn't wait.

This is a Euro car so it never had any polution devices on it and to meet DOT specs it had to have the larger side markers. I am putting it back as a true Euro with a single small round side marker. At a distance you would probably think it was a stock 308, but not at all when you look close. Every weak, antiquated, or lack luster point I've tried to address.

I decided to write a book on this with all the receipts, processes, modifications, and views of the before and after. Right now I'm at 68 pages and can see it going well over twice that by the time I'm finished. Since I'm completely rewiring the car I am using my cad system to do a full layered wiring diagrams for the car. Prior to owning my shop I used to work for a large engineering firm that upon completion of an engineering project we found that making a DVD of the assembly process and repair procedures were for more helpful than the paper manuals, I will be doing the same since there really is very little left that is stock and whoever eventually gets the car (many years later) would appreciate such documentation. With a list of all the parts, part numbers, and prices too.

So, if I'm not done by late next spring done feel I haven't been busy. I try and stay busy and I semi-retired from my shop:frown. I work only a 40 hour week now. So I should start accelerating the process some.

Here is pic of the end of the engine and maybe you can see the distributor covers I made with the horse's. You probably can't see that cap nuts I made have a 358 logo on them and are made out of Titanium 6al4v. I really like doing the little things too. I download the Ferrari font and have made the exact Ferrari badge for the back, but instead of say 308 it say 358.

Attachments

• Engine+Assembly+Process+026.jpg
    Engine+Assembly+Process+026.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 939

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It's not madness. It's a labor of love - the car will be superb and unique when finished.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Somehow a big orange Fram oil filter seem out of place on an Italian engine.

H

HHGT

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps a yellow prancing horse sticker

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps a yellow prancing horse sticker

...or a nice machined cover...

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Really beautiful work. Thanks for posting the pics.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Has one ever gotten away from me - has one not? Beautiful job. Enjoy her.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
...or a nice machined cover...

Yeah, I could machine a finned clam shell cover. Anodize it black and machine a horse on top. Hmmmm.

John

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Another 308 owner that got kicked off of Fchat has a similar desire, but is putting a modified 400i engine into the car, doing most all of the work himself. That defines

Is that what he got kicked off for?

JCSB, is that a 512BB in front of the engine?

I would think upgrading the wheels and tires, improving the performance and stance without deviating from the stock 5 spoke look would be a big challenge on an otherwise timeless design.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005

Not sure, but I think it was for making a post on a tabooed topic, religion, much like the P word on this forum. In this PC world many things cannot be discussed in a open forum without to offending someone.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime

JCSB, is that a 512BB in front of the engine?

Yep, not mine.

I would think upgrading the wheels and tires, improving the performance and stance without deviating from the stock 5 spoke look would be a big challenge on an otherwise timeless design.

You mean like this. Custom 17" wheels from Carobu. Like I said no stone unturned.

John

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 415

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yeah, I could machine a finned clam shell cover. Anodize it black and machine a horse on top. Hmmmm.

John

Yup. That'd sure match the valve covers & the 'box on top. It'd look DARN GOOD!

(Edit: 'Wouldn't even need to be finned...other than to aid in cooling. 'MIGHT even look better w/o fins. Just a thought...)

Last edited: