Has a project ever really gotten away from you!

H

HHGT

Erics Auto Restoration (I think thats how he has it) in Lake Jackson. I got plenty of feedback from others and I questioned him pretty extensively about his aproach. I'm very pleased with him, but he takes forever to do a full restoration (6-7 months).

John

I've had my split window in the body shop for 1 year and 9 months. They re-did all the bonding seams on the fiberglass. It really tests your patience.

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I've had my split window in the body shop for 1 year and 9 months. They re-did all the bonding seams on the fiberglass. It really tests your patience.

Well I still haven't gotten it back yet so you never know how long it will be. The amount of work I'm going to do seems daunting even though I had someone else paint it and someone else do the extreme engine mods. BTW the engine has been at Carobu for the same amount of time. But soon I should have them both back and then the fun begins. :willy

John

H

HHGT

It took me to 6 months to do all the mechanicals and 3 months for the suspension, powder coating etc...Authenticity was and is the driver. After the initial 9 months it went to the Body Shop and it has been there 21 months and should be returned by the year's end. Every night I go downstairs to the workshop and polish stainless and soon I'll start on the the glass polishing. All this is necessary for the exterior assembly. When it comes back it will take me 4 months for the interior and then I should be done - if there is such a thing.

All in all it would have taken approximate 3 years and countless hours. Every matching number tag is maintained. What's it worth? I don't care. Will I do it again? I'm done with restoring cars, but I'm sure I will live to eat my words.

Some guys chase women, booze it up and do drugs. I choose to be in the garage with my German Shepherds listening to Led Zepplin, The Who, Rush, etc... music blasting and working on cars... No intercom and no TV.... It only gets better when my boys come down to turn wrenches.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
"begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive..."

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
My 70 Cyclone took almost a year for all the mechanicals....still haven't painted it, but it's a driver for now. Roush 427 EFI, T56, Heidts suspension, Wilwoods, etc.

Totally worth it in the end, though....

http://www.tonygphotography.net/Car...TR-and-Cyclone/13277790_93TJb#964570706_VSdH5

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
My 70 Cyclone took almost a year for all the mechanicals....still haven't painted it, but it's a driver for now. Roush 427 EFI, T56, Heidts suspension, Wilwoods, etc.

Totally worth it in the end, though....

http://www.tonygphotography.net/Car...TR-and-Cyclone/13277790_93TJb#964570706_VSdH5

Hey I was waiting for that link.:biggrin

Wow!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I can relate, this project is kicking my ass :) :lol it took two days to cut the darn thing off a 66 mustang and a whole other day to trim it out, now off to upholstery then paint! :biggrin

gameroom sofa

mustangsofa-1.jpg

mustangsofa017.jpg

H

HHGT

I was gonna do one with a GT... Then I told myself that is a stupid idea. Nice work on the Mustang.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I was gonna do one with a GT... Then I told myself that is a stupid idea. Nice work on the Mustang.

ya the gt would be much harder and Im not sure it would look right. and thanks it had to be mustang I refuse to have a chevy in the house :)

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Soroush,
Looks really nice. I tried to get the wife involved in one for the pool house, but it was DOA. :frown

John

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Wow, I know how you feel. I took an old AC Cobra to Norwood for a carb tune and $17,000 later I had a ported, polished, fuel injected, weber setup with nitrous. GT was the same way, simple pulley and tune turned into a $80k list of goodies... now I need a drink too. :ack

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Wow, I know how you feel. I took an old AC Cobra to Norwood for a carb tune and $17,000 later I had a ported, polished, fuel injected, weber setup with nitrous. GT was the same way, simple pulley and tune turned into a $80k list of goodies... now I need a drink too. :ack

I hear you since I spent 35k at Norwoods on the EFI and Motec in the Testarossa. Here are a couple of pics showing the super cool independently adjustable timing sprockets and the engine ready for the dyno. Dyno work should start monday.
John

Attachments

• Engine+Assembly+Process+022.jpg
    Engine+Assembly+Process+022.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 419
  • John's+Fuel+Injection+013.jpg
    John's+Fuel+Injection+013.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 415
H

HHGT

Wow....

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I'm dooling all over my computer screen --awsum looking motor!

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks guys. Like I said it should be on the dyno Monday. :banana

John

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I wana ride!:thumbsup

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
What a great project. Hope to see it around town.

H

HHGT

I just noticed how the other header ends terminates in the front of the engine. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Transverse mounting. One collector facing port, one facing starboard. I believe that is the transaxle is pictured to the rear of motor.

I am not a Ferrari expert, but I think they turned the motor 90 degrees for a longitudinal mount in the 288 GTO.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I have often questioned my own moments of insanity and somehow keep repeating my craziness. You can always make more money, you can't buy an experience.

Are you sure about both those statements Sam? I think not all experiences require money, but some do (cars, hookers, parties, drinking, trips). Think about Charlie on Two an a Half Men.