Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I hate to be premature about the whole half-shaft fastener failure problem and I am therefore sticking my neck out and laying on the chopping block, but here goes....

For a living, I sometimes must perform failure analysis (which is NOT my specialty) when various "disasters" occur in the lab. I am trained in electronics, not mechanical.

I got concerned about this whole fastener problem and know that both companies involved in this are not going do anything about it. After examining the little bit of data that I have been able to collect, intuition tells that harder washers and better fasteners are not going to solve this problem. Even performing 30 hours of FEA computer analysis sort of bears this out.

I am going to tear my car apart soon to confirm my theory. If I feel that I am right, then I will redesign and machine a new part to replace what I think are the faulty part(s).

Right now, I personally feel that everyone is "barking up the wrong tree". You are blaming the wrong parts because of a faulty tolerance problem with the entire design.

Even if I had my '05 redone by the dealer OR myself, I would not sleep any better at night.

Look guys, I may be wrong about this, however I am about 80-90% that I have located the problem.

More to come soon.

Jay Philippbar
www.gtsaver.com
a division of:
CNC Setup, Inc.
2006 Via Solona
San Clemente, CA 92673
(949) 366-1211 24 hr. order/tech support line
(949) 412-8889 Cellular
(949) 361-8110 Facsimile
analogdesign@cox.net
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34

JAY!
PLEASE CHECK YOUR REGULAR "GT SAVER" EMAIL!
I think I screwed up big time & 'need to "unscrew it!":ack :willy !!!!
Thanks!

'Pockets

Last edited:

isaakgt

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Wilder, Idaho
I hate to be premature about the whole half-shaft fastener failure problem and I am therefore sticking my neck out and laying on the chopping block, but here goes....

For a living, I sometimes must perform failure analysis (which is NOT my specialty) when various "disasters" occur in the lab. I am trained in electronics, not mechanical.

I got concerned about this whole fastener problem and know that both companies involved in this are not going do anything about it. After examining the little bit of data that I have been able to collect, intuition tells that harder washers and better fasteners are not going to solve this problem. Even performing 30 hours of FEA computer analysis sort of bears this out.

I am going to tear my car apart soon to confirm my theory. If I feel that I am right, then I will redesign and machine a new part to replace what I think are the faulty part(s).

Right now, I personally feel that everyone is "barking up the wrong tree". You are blaming the wrong parts because of a faulty tolerance problem with the entire design.

Even if I had my '05 redone by the dealer OR myself, I would not sleep any better at night.

Look guys, I may be wrong about this, however I am about 80-90% that I have located the problem.

More to come soon.

Jay Philippbar
www.gtsaver.com
a division of:
CNC Setup, Inc.
2006 Via Solona
San Clemente, CA 92673
(949) 412-8889 Cellular
(949) 361-8110 Facsimile
analogdesign@cox.net

Jay, thanks for your input. As a former mech designer I would have to agree with you. I also have put some ideas together to try to solve this issue. Replacing the washers and installing undersized wired bolts is not a long term solution. I know I will catch hell for my thoughts but I just don't like what I see with this design. Do the halfshafts telescope with the suspension travel? I can't see that they do. If they don't they will hammer the washers which in turn will brake the heads off the puny bolts. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006

More to come soon.

Jay Philippbar
www.gtsaver.com
a division of:
CNC Setup, Inc.
2006 Via Solona
San Clemente, CA 92673
(949) 412-8889 Cellular
(949) 361-8110 Facsimile
analogdesign@cox.net

I am leaning your way Jay on this one which is why I just made the post in which I stated that Ricardo needs to explain what is going on. I would say that based on the vin numbers shared that have had failures it is now from the beginning to the end of production as such once again it is not a matter of "if"..... but rather "when" they will fail.

Thank you for looking into it Jay

Regards

Shadowman

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
You are all "barking up the wrong tree,"

Jay, I ain't got that coon treed yet, so der iz no one tree I lookin fer. I thot it mite be dat washer-theery tree but dant clearly aint it. Deres sum dinamiks between them output splines dat thoz bolts dont like. I tink dat fixn 'em bolts mite not be the mostest elegant fix but it will prolly solve the problem. Wood like to here what tree you think that coon is in.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
No sweat!

JAY!
PLEASE CHECK YOUR REGULAR "GT SAVER" EMAIL!
I think I screwed up big time & 'need to "unscrew it!":ack :willy !!!!
Thanks!

'Pockets

No sweat, we'll fix things on Monday, okay?

Thanks,

Jay

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Halfshafts Own Web Site Please!!!!!!

DBK, CAN WE HAVE A HALFSHAFT WEB PAGE ONLY:biggrin I MEAN NOW THAT ONLY 4,000 CARS HAVE BEEN MADE , 400 WRCKED AND OVER 3.2 MILLION POSTS ON THIS ALREADY :biggrin ITS TIME TO FOR A HALFSHAFT WEB PAGE OR TOPIC SECTION BY ITSELF...................... THANKS GTJOEY:thumbsup

M

Mark O

DBK, CAN WE HAVE A HALFSHAFT WEB PAGE ONLY:biggrin I MEAN NOW THAT ONLY 4,000 CARS HAVE BEEN MADE , 400 WRCKED AND OVER 3.2 MILLION POSTS ON THIS ALREADY :biggrin ITS TIME TO FOR A HALFSHAFT WEB PAGE OR TOPIC SECTION BY ITSELF...................... THANKS GTJOEY:thumbsup

Since there is a washer problem & a bolt problem, how about having two independant sections for each? :thumbsup

:biggrin

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
New Half Shaft Theroy No Jokes please

Well like all of you I'm concerned about the problem and I know there are 50 threads on this subject. I did a search and I did not see where this theory has been discussed. There maybe a another factor coming in to play that maybe the causing all of this havoc.

When fluids are heated the expand. They are non compressible and can exert great force when they expand. Is it possible that the heated transaxel fluid is forcing the seal out and putting pressure on the output flange thus putting pressure on the small retainer bolts?

Many of the failed reports list the fluid running out of the transaxel. The seals are pressed in if the retainer bolts just failed why would the seal come out? It's shouldn't unless they were forced out by the expanding fluid.

The heating and cooling of the fluid would cause a condition for the soft washered cars that would create movement and and wearing of the soft washer. In the hardened washered cars the bolts would fail because the initial torque was not to high but the expanding fluid and seal being forced out increases the force on the washer and bolt. The washer is not soft in this case and the expansion has to take place in the bolt so it snaps.

I know the transaxel has a vent. Does the transaxel have a separate chambered section for the pump, discharge line and return line? When you put in a transcooler how much additional transaxel fluid do you add? When you add the trans cooler do you still keep the factory type vent or is it replaced because the fluid level is higher? If the Pump section is isolated in it's own closed loop or restricted area then the expanding fluid could come into play. In this case it may take the trans cooler to resolve the issue?

In closing it maybe this fluid issue is a factor or just the expansion of the heated parts that may be cause the bolt failure or a combination of both. The fluid expansion theory would explain why the seals are blowing out or just leaking in some cases. If a transcooler is part of the equation then this has some serious cost implications for Ford?

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
ARP Bolts

The 12 Half Shaft Bolts are M10-1.5 X 60mm," Class 8.8". I have some DIN-912, M10-1.5 X 60mm "Class 12.9 Bolts" ,that I will use untill my ARP-772-1008 Bolts get here. They are Class 12.9+ Bolts!!

AMB

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
My post # 230 is a new factor that should be discussed. I haven't seen this discussed before now it's buried here ??

AMP, thanks for the info. Where did you get them ??

Last edited:

hemidoc

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Have any of the failed cars had transaxle coolers installed?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ricardo

Just for "ha-ha's", I called Ricardo in Detroit (and found out Don down in Fla did too!) ... was directed to Tony Walsh ... asked him if Ricardo was "on this" (researching, looking for cause(s), developing a solution, consulting with Ford etc.) ... he said HE wasn't privy to any of that (and because of this and that, he couldn't speak for Ricardo anyway regardless), but, to get an answer for me he had emailed corporate in the U.K. asking for current info on the subject and he'd contact me tomorrow (Tues 1/9) with whatever he found out.

I'll post here whatever he passes to me tomorrow.

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Have any of the failed cars had transaxle coolers installed?

I have a transmission breather and a transaxle cooler, and a failure.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a transmission breather and a transaxle cooler, and a failure.
Bony, your car didn't fail, in the sense that the halfshaft fell off. However since you had loose bolts, it was only a short time until it would have failed. If you didn't get the fix from the GTGuys you might not have made it back to Fresno!

I had two bent silver washers, but the bolts were still tight.

Does anyone need a repair kit? The dealer that was going to fix mine finally got the parts in.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Bony, your car didn't fail, in the sense that the halfshaft fell off. However since you had loose bolts, it was only a short time until it would have failed. If you didn't get the fix from the GTGuys you might not have made it back to Fresno!

I had two bent silver washers, but the bolts were still tight.

Does anyone need a repair kit? The dealer that was going to fix mine finally got the parts in.

BlackICE

I suppose your correct, nor did yours, but we had two ticking bombs, and it was a matter of time, could have been in 10 miles, 100 miles or 1000 miles. So, I assume you don't think we should join the list of cars that failed? Should I pull my post?

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California
I'd be willing to purchase them if they're still available. I'm in the Bay Area as well. I'll PM you my contact info to discuss details.

-MWG

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
First off, I have not had a failure yet. Would it not be possible to just put a little tack weld on the bolt so it does not move? Forgive my stupidity. I have not studied the subject as of yet.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
First off, I have not had a failure yet. Would it not be possible to just put a little tack weld on the bolt so it does not move? Forgive my stupidity. I have not studied the subject as of yet.

Hey Roc', read Jay's post a page or so back. He's got a different take on this whole thing altogether ("GT Saver"/ CNC Setup)

'Pockets

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Transaxle fasteners PART 2:

Transaxle fasteners PART 2:

Gentlemen:

Fancy fasteners and washers are not going to help this unique problem.

If you have an earlier car, such as mine (2005, #1877), the soft washer will allow the hardened socket head fasteners to embed themselves into the face of the washer over a period of time. This results in the original amount of tensile torque to decrease over time, allowing the fasteners begin to loosening freely over time. As soon as the first fastener "unscrews" itself and "falls out", all of the torque is transmitted to the remaining fastener, resulting in a sheared fastener. The car stops at this point.

Now, those with newer or upgraded cars, with hardened washers, will result in a different type of failure mechanism. This is because the hardened washer has less compliance, resulting in the fasteners exceeding their peak yield strength in a quicker manner. This results the heads of the fasteners shearing off.

GTsaver is designing and analyzing a new part to solve this problem. Unfortunately, there are some major illnesses within the family, so your patience in time would be appreciated.

Jay Philippbar
www.gtsaver.com
a division of:
CNC Setup, Inc.
2006 Via Solona
San Clemente, CA 92673
(949) 412-8889 Cellular
(949) 361-8110 Facsimile
analogdesign@cox.net

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Take a pass on this one....

ROC,

You really do not want to tack weld this, regardless of whether you own the best TIG welder and know how to use it.

I am working on a proper fix for this problem, I just need to get my computers running overtime to solve the problem.

You have good intentions though...:wink

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.