Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
What should this cost?

I have ordered the bolt kits to due the replacement as insurance. On my nickel. They said the book called for $600 in labor to replace the axel bolts and $150 in parts. $600 seems awfully high for a two hour job. Does anyone know what the flat rate is in the book for the Leak TSB? The dealer is claiming 6 hours.

Thanks,

Craig

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The GT GUYS replaced my bolts, installed the replacements and safety wired them and the total cost was about $350.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Just had mine checked and found that none had ever been installed on my car. That may be why I have the hump on the top of the drivers side of the car from the pressure building up over the past 1000 or so miles. :frown :willy :eek

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
A......Errrrr.......OOPS? I guess that's what happens when you don't listen. Maybe now they'll at least speed along the process of unclogging the backlog of backorders for the parts to fix the problem??? Probably still make us pay for it though................

My failure was not half shaft bolts. My failure was this one mentioned...said differently.

Kevin,
Attachd is a picture of how the flange is actually held in place. As soon as I ge my lift open I will make sure that the bolts (1) and the flange (2) are in tact. Then will inspect the output shaft and make sure it is not damaded, All this being good I will order a new flange (3) and seal (4) and reassemble - ther axle fange bolts will b discarded and replaced with the updated ones.
Will keep you in the loop of anything that changes as it is torn down.

Attachments

• S5T83005 (2).pdf
    206.6 KB · Views: 237
Craig.....that is funny the dealer said the book time calls for 6 hours. As far as we know and have been told from Ford there is no book time on the GT at all and everything is based on how long it actually takes. I forgot the actual term they told us for what they call it but I distinctly remember being told they bill for how long it takes the mechanic to do the job.

Jack @ MMP Sales
Muscle Motors Performance, Inc.
jack@musclemotors.com
http://www.musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778
"Here to Make Racing Fun & Affordable for Everyone!"

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Craig.....that is funny the dealer said the book time calls for 6 hours. As far as we know and have been told from Ford there is no book time on the GT at all and everything is based on how long it actually takes. I forgot the actual term they told us for what they call it but I distinctly remember being told they bill for how long it takes the mechanic to do the job.

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

In 2.5 hours Dennis & Rich aka THE GT GUYS, changed the oil and filter, replaced the half shaft bolts and safety wired the new ones, and installed the shifter kit.

Hell, 6 hours is a long time, but enought for me to fall in and out of love, and even discuss the property setllement..:eek :rofl :eek

Last edited:
bony - When you state the GT Guys was that 1 or 2 guys working on the car? It took them 6 hours to do the shifter?

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

Aug 25, 2006
bony - When you state the GT Guys was that 1 or 2 guys working on the car? It took them 6 hours to do the shifter?

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

Jack

As I recall Bony shared that the process of fluid change, shifter, and half shaft bolts was all completed in the 6 hour timeline.

The shifter as you know is only a couple hours if very careful with all the trim pieces and the half shaft bolts are a no brainer once the wheel is pulled for access.

Takes care

Shadowman

Shadowman - I was a little confused the way he stated things. Also trying to confirm if there was 1 or 2 guys working on the car. For example was one doing the shifter while the other did the rest of the work? Or was it just one guy doing all the work himself?

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

Aug 25, 2006
Shadowman - I was a little confused the way he stated things. Also trying to confirm if there was 1 or 2 guys working on the car. For example was one doing the shifter while the other did the rest of the work? Or was it just one guy doing all the work himself?

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

Bony will have to chime in however based on the work load presented to the GT Guys when they were out in SF I suspect that each was active on their own project with those moments when the "hey I need a hand" was heard".

Regardless the process that they undertook for Bony with the greatest PITA factor was removing the under-body panels so as to drop the fluids; IMO.

The shifters are a breeze; the only awkward portion is getting the center console out and even that is not too bad and then even though I have yet to swap my bolts (soon I am still waiting for them to arrive) I can clearly see the process as a piece of cake.

All the best

Shadowman

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
My car was worked on after Bony's. I don't know the total time taken, since Bony was there before I arrived, but I would guess about 2 to 3 hours for the 2 guys working on the car.

BlackICE

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

It was Rich and Dennis working on my car in Dublin, California. All what I know is what I saw. They are very fast, of course they know the car better than anyone else I have heard about.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Jack

As I recall Bony shared that the process of fluid change, shifter, and half shaft bolts was all completed in the 6 hour timeline.

The shifter as you know is only a couple hours if very careful with all the trim pieces and the half shaft bolts are a no brainer once the wheel is pulled for access.

Takes care

Shadowman

Sorry to create so much confusion, I will ban myself for 6 hours...:rofl :rofl
I was referring to the 6 hours mentioned to replace the bolts. The time to replace the bolts, change the oil and filter, plus install the shifter kit for Ruch and Dennis was about 2.5hours.

bony - I don't doubt that the GT guys are good I was just trying to decipher your statement about how long it took them to work on your car. The way it read to me was it took them 6 hours to work on your car. If that was 2 guys working on your car for a total of 6 hours that would mean 1 person would do it in 12 hours or less.

Edit: You posted again while I was typing :) Okay so basically we could say it took 2.5 hours for each part install.

2.5 hours (shifter)
2.5 hours (oil change & replace bolts)

I agree 6 hours is overkill to just replace the bolts :)

Jack @ MMP Sales
jack@musclemotors.com
(818)888-7778

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Jack, I sincerely feel awful for my earlier post which was unclear, I did edit it. How do I make this up to you, send you a case of Makers Mark, detail some cars for you??:cheers :biggrin :cheers

So, 2 guys, 2.5 hours translates to 5 hours to do the job if one guy was working alone.

Have a great year, thanks!

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
ARP Bolts for Half shafts ??

I'm thinking about being proactive and taking care of this half shaft over torqued bolt issue. If the Ford parts are not available I'm exploring the possibility of using ARP brand bolts for the inner and outer bolts. I know some one has used ARP bolts to replace the small M8 -1.25 x 25 mm. bolts on the output flange. Has anyone used ARP bolts to replace the (6 )CV joint bolts? Spec. , size ?

I'm trying to understand why the (6) CV joint bolts need to be discarded after each use. After reviewing the torquing process it doesn't seem that they would be over torqued and stretched. I tried to search through the other threads and posts, couldn't find if someones done this??

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I'm thinking about being proactive and taking care of this half shaft over torqued bolt issue. If the Ford parts are not available I'm exploring the possibility of using ARP brand bolts for the inner and outer bolts. I know some one has used ARP bolts to replace the small M8 -1.25 x 25 mm. bolts on the output flange. Has anyone used ARP bolts to replace the (6 )CV joint bolts? Spec. , size ?

I'm trying to understand why the (6) CV joint bolts need to be discarded after each use. After reviewing the torquing process it doesn't seem that they would be over torqued and stretched. I tried to search through the other threads and posts, couldn't find if someones done this??

Kendall has written extensively about this, also others have written as well.
I wish I could provide a link.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
STORMCAT,

ARP does not yet have any bolts to replace the M8 inner bolts. There are some discussions on-going to convince them to do so. The leading theory is that the bolts ae shearing off AFTER they BOTH loosen at approximately the same rate (weird) and allow the hub to walk off of the splined shaft. As soon as the splines are disengaged, any bolt - ARP or otherwise, would break if subjected to the torque leverage of the wheel. The leading theory goes on to describe that the reason the M8 bolt loosen in the first place is that an improperly heat treated washer warps under the assembly process of torquing the M8 bolts and consequently does not supply the proper seating surface. Ricardo allegedly changed/updated the washers on transaxles that began going on cars in the early 2006 run. HOWEVER, the non-hardened washer theory is going out the window insofar that I believe we have now seen a few cars with the newer washers have the same failure. (Doh!)

Those people who installed drilled M8 bolts and safety wired them are probably in the best shape. Those people that simply had the hardened washer installed - well, perhaps you gave your dealer some needed practice. You may be back.

AMB and/or myself will keep everyone posted on the ARP replacement bolts. Until then, make sure your AAA card is up to date.

Oh, regarding the 6 hub bolts - they are Torque-to-yield (TTY) bolts.
Torque-to-yield bolts are exactly what they sound like. They stretch to the yield point as they are tightened. These bolts are commonly used where exact clamping loads between two parts is called for. During the tightening process, the bolts are pulled to their elastic limit. The bolts actually stretch. Only new bolts can provide the even clamping force.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
You are all "barking up the wrong tree," FASTENER PROBLEM...

I hate to be premature about the whole half-shaft fastener failure problem and I am therefore sticking my neck out and laying on the chopping block, but here goes....

For a living, I sometimes must perform failure analysis (which is NOT my specialty) when various "disasters" occur in the lab. I am trained in electronics, not mechanical.

I got concerned about this whole fastener problem and know that both companies involved in this are not going do anything about it. After examining the little bit of data that I have been able to collect, intuition tells that harder washers and better fasteners are not going to solve this problem. Even performing 30 hours of FEA computer analysis sort of bears this out.

I am going to tear my car apart soon to confirm my theory. If I feel that I am right, then I will redesign and machine a new part to replace what I think are the faulty part(s).

Right now, I personally feel that everyone is "barking up the wrong tree". You are blaming the wrong parts because of a faulty tolerance problem with the entire design.

Even if I had my '05 redone by the dealer OR myself, I would not sleep any better at night.

Look guys, I may be wrong about this, however I am about 80-90% that I have located the problem.

More to come soon.

Jay Philippbar
www.gtsaver.com
a division of:
CNC Setup, Inc.
2006 Via Solona
San Clemente, CA 92673
(949) 366-1211 24 hr. order/tech support line
(949) 412-8889 Cellular
(949) 361-8110 Facsimile
analogdesign@cox.net
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34