Halfshaft Bolt Answers (all threads merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Somewhere on this thread someone posted the official(?) tally was "less than 1%"...for whatever that's worth. :shrug

I'm sure this was correct six or more months ago but the problem seems to keep occurring regardless of mileage. One percent of total cars produced is a total of about forty cars. I would bet that at least twenty owners on this site have had a failure. If that’s correct it would be more like five (roughly) percent of cars produced who have had the failure.

Rob

Bill Oxley

GT Owner
Jun 15, 2006
Denver area
I'm sure this was correct six or more months ago but the problem seems to keep occurring regardless of mileage. One percent of total cars produced is a total of about forty cars. I would bet that at least twenty owners on this site have had a failure. If that’s correct it would be more like five (roughly) percent of cars produced who have had the failure.

Rob
I think we should get some more accurately defined percentages here.

If only 1 percent, per previous post (Pockets-tnx), then I’m thinking I kind of understand why Ford is resistant to do much.

But if it’s 5 %, then Ford should be jumping on this sooner than later.

So, seems like to me, we need more info on what percentage of our beloved cars are having this failure.

My 11xx ’06 Tungston seems fine, but the last thing I want is to be sitting on the side of the rode waiting for a tow truck.

Comments?

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
halfshaft bolts fixed today.

What dealer did you go to in Chicago?

I had the work done at Napleton Ford in Chicago. 773-764-8800, ask for the service manager, Tom. These guys were recommended to my be another forum member and the mechanic there, Yusef, knows these cars really well, he is also very meticulous.

They did the work today and all is well. Does anyone know why the halfshafts don't disengage at high speed, has this just been by chance maybe. Mine came off at about 5 mph crossing railroad tracks, but at 100+ mph, this could be catastrophic.

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
vin #

Metalman, can you post your heritage VIN as well as the midnight blue car? Did the midnight blue get fixed with the Acufab kit?
Thanks!

My VIN is 1FAFP90S96Y400876, I Will get Mike's (blue GT) on Friday and post it, if he is ok with that.

Tony

metalman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 22, 2006
Metalman, can you post your heritage VIN as well as the midnight blue car? Did the midnight blue get fixed with the Acufab kit?
Thanks!

The midnight blue car did not use the AccuFab kit, It was done by Ford under warranty.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I just ordered my Accufab bolt kit. I'm gonna put together a kit with the tools needed to install the parts on the side of the road and carry it in the glove box...trunk...whatever you call it.

Peace of mind.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Bill-
Ford IS aware of the problem and IS working on a solution. Before everyone bombards me with when, how, etc, etc, this is all I know. As has been posted many times before this is a halo car for Ford and the engineering team is just as disappointed with these failure reports as are we...

Metalman-
The failure issue appears to be a slow speed event as the clutch is engaged and torque applied to the halfshafts. A momentary peak load occurs which appears to fail the bolt heads in bending fatigue. I believe there was one individual that posted he had a failure at highway speed (Gimbal perhaps although I do not actaully remember without wadeing thru these hundreds of posts). I believe that is the only event (that I have seen posted) where the car was at speed and the halfshaft could whirl around pivoting from the attached wheel side. I do not believe the posted comment indicated there was any secondary damage done to the surrounding components.
And thanks for your VIN and getting the blue one if the owner is ok with that.

cimaxgt

GT Owner
Jun 7, 2007
i have replaced mine twice

1st time with dealer, 2nd time i figured it out i all so have the maintanance pages for that repair any one email me your fax # and i will get it to you.

robert@robertgonzalezjr.com

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I was talking to Prowler about this a while back. His has failed twice.:eek

Status
Not open for further replies.