Double DIN radio brackets now available from Kip Ewing

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Greetings All

After what can only be described as an epic development process, we are finally ready to take orders for the Double DIN radio brackets. This has been a very involved packaging and tooling task. No changes to the lower IP are required with this installation. It is a direct swap for the original part.
DoubleDIN004.jpg

We'll post the photos of the casting patterns in the future. It was our first effort at building casting patterns in-house and it has been a very gratifying process.

The installation is optimized around the class-leading Pioneer Z series of head units. This allows for a motorized faceplate and a whole series of options including; reverse camera, satellite radio, navigation, built-in hard drive, MP3 interface and voice control.

Non-motorized faceplate systems will also work.

All of the original hardware is protected for in the installation; starter button, powerpoint, and passenger airbag switch. I even sourced the same lens for the "passenger airbag off" L.E.D.
DoubleDIN007.jpg

These will be available in two versions;
1) cast aluminum - painted the original interior silver
2) carbon fiber

I have a few aluminum ones spoken for, as well as a couple of carbon.
Interested parties can PM me or email at kip@kipewing.com

Thanks to eveyone for their continued support.
Cheers
Kip

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
Stunning Kip! It looks incredible :thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I am ready to purchase one right away. Just tell me how to order

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kip, is this something the normal shade tree mechanic can swap out? I'm very familiar with radio installation, but what about pulling the old and installing the new part?

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Level of difficulty

Kip, is this something the normal shade tree mechanic can swap out? I'm very familiar with radio installation, but what about pulling the old and installing the new part?

In my opinion, the most difficult part of the task relates to removing and reinstalling the lower IP. The lower edge is easy, as you can see the push pins under the IP. The ones around the ac vents can be tricky to push back in. You just need to be slow and patient. A long trim fork can help support the upper IP as you push the lower IP into place.

Whereas all of the fasteners that hold the radio bracket in are clearly visible, the lower IP (the leather trimmed part) is held in with spring clips that press into the upper IP. You have to be careful about how you handle those attachments. It is easier when you know where they are and can use a long trim fork to help pop them loose. Perhaps I can upload a photo of the back of a lower IP .

To get the radio bracket out, you first need to remove the tunnel, which in itself requires you to remove the tunnel side skirts, and the bulkhead panel (sub woofer style or non). All of those jobs are pretty easy and straight forward. I have instructions for those tasks.

Going back in, you might need to wrestle the bracket a bit. There is variation in how high the cross car beams are relative to the tunnel. Some cars require a bit more patience and force.

Otherwise; it is the typical radio install routine.

Shadowman would have some valuable insights from his experience.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

I little more involved than just replacing a radio is an understatement!

You have to remove the ventilation ducts, lower leather IP and metal shields behind the lower IP. That is just to get a some hidden fasteners holding in the stock 1 DIN. Of course you also have to remove the Mac sub-enclosure and central tunnel too. After that it should be like installing a radio. However if you want the GPS to work real well you need to tap the speed sensor from the transaxle and backup light signal. Add to that the Ipod interface, backup camera and bluetooth module. You see something very simple!

It is would be nothing for the Shadowman, or GTguys, but maybe more involved than the average radio installer given collateral damage can occur.

But the 2 DIN piece is GREAT and I hope to have one installed soon! It enables some modern car conveniences to be installed.

:cheers

Last edited:

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Do you have a picture of it installed?

Eric_Elite

Jun 24, 2009
Jonesboro, AR
Looks great kip!!

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Installed photos

Do you have a picture of it installed?

We don't have any photos of it installed in a vehicle.
We developed everything on an instrument panel that was out of a car.

Shadowman is putting one in a car this week, so I am sure we can count on a lot of blue tape and hand modeling!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Fantastic work as always Kip !

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thanks Kip. That's what I wanted to know. Ice, thank you for your comments, too. Ice, why do you need the special GPS hookups? A plain antenna doesn't work?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks Kip. That's what I wanted to know. Ice, thank you for your comments, too. Ice, why do you need the special GPS hookups? A plain antenna doesn't work?

It helps when you don't have access to a GPS signal, like when in a tunnel or near skyscrapers. It knows how far you have moved and probably assumes you are on the same road.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
thank you kip. this was a long time coming but definitely worth the wait. :banana cant wait to get it installed:thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Greetings All

After what can only be described as an epic development process, we are finally ready to take orders for the Double DIN radio brackets. This has been a very involved packaging and tooling task. No changes to the lower IP are required with this installation. It is a direct swap for the original part.
DoubleDIN004.jpg

We'll post the photos of the casting patterns in the future. It was our first effort at building casting patterns in-house and it has been a very gratifying process.

The installation is optimized around the class-leading Pioneer Z series of head units. This allows for a motorized faceplate and a whole series of options including; reverse camera, satellite radio, navigation, built-in hard drive, MP3 interface and voice control.

Non-motorized faceplate systems will also work.

All of the original hardware is protected for in the installation; starter button, powerpoint, and passenger airbag switch. I even sourced the same lens for the "passenger airbag off" L.E.D.
DoubleDIN007.jpg

These will be available in two versions;
1) cast aluminum - painted the original interior silver
2) carbon fiber

I have a few aluminum ones spoken for, as well as a couple of carbon.
Interested parties can PM me or email at kip@kipewing.com

Thanks to eveyone for their continued support.
Cheers
Kip

Hi Kip

It is simply stunning as a completed unit.

I want to personally express my appreciation and to thank you for all the extremely hard work required to make this a reality

Kip at this time I am counting the hours as I know that this unit is already heading my way ; we are ready for it and once we have it integrated I will be able to assist others with such an endeavor as well.

Takes care

Shadowman

JBG

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 25, 2006
Scottsdale
Kip

WOW :thumbsup Another piece of art from the Master. I can't wait to see the CF version.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Carbon Double DIN

Kip

WOW :thumbsup Another piece of art from the Master. I can't wait to see the CF version.

Hey thanks!

We have a couple of carbon double and single DINs in progress.
Just need to fabricate the armatures for them.

We should be able to post those items next week.

Cheers
Kip

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Hope I am still near the top of the list on these! Great job Kip!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I was wondering what I was going to do this winter and now I know:thumbsup Shadowman it looks like we will have some more wintertime conversations again this year:rofl:rofl:rofl

Aug 25, 2006
I was wondering what I was going to do this winter and now I know:thumbsup Shadowman it looks like we will have some more wintertime conversations again this year:rofl:rofl:rofl

Pe2unia

This will indeed be another great project and one that I will look forward to working with you from afar.

All the best

Shadowman

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Shadowman, I hope to be able to tap into your knowledge base over the winter also. :thumbsup