Double DIN radio brackets now available from Kip Ewing

Aug 25, 2006
Sorry Shadowman, I really meant the Pioneer in the new double din. I know the tongue depressor is used for clearance at the bottom, but does the face of the Pioneer unit sit flush with the double din face lip.

Thanks,
John

It is used to insure that the unit has space between the head unit and the DD so the screen can open properly and also to insure that it is level in the opening

Takes care

Shadowman

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Nice Job. I think the pictures turned out a little blurry on your I phone is because it was done too well. Everything is just shinny.:banana

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
radio package

Shadowman,
Does the unit sit flush to the front or does it protrude out some?

John

On most head units, the radio protrudes about 5mm from the casting.
This allows for the required operational clearance.

As Shadowman said, the tounge depressor is used as a gauge to ensure operational clearance to the bottom of the casting. The Pioneer DDs have a drive mechanism that is lower than the screen.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Thanks Shelby

We did the install on my car and everything worked out perfect. We did the Sat radio, reverse camera and the new latest pioneer double din. Its a VERY nice fit!

Hey Shelby

Thanks for posting pics!

This makes my day.
Glad it all went well for you.
We've got your second one about done.

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Kip, when my Tungsten arrives please install one for me also.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
double din

Kip, when my Tungsten arrives please install one for me also.

Done!

Thanks so much!

We'll have a new home for it.
The new shop is coming together just in time!

GT4JR

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2006
Yorba Linda, California
Kip,

When r u going to start shipping the Silver color DD units? We r all anxious to get them in our GTs! Thanks! :banana

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
cast aluminum DDs

Kip,

When r u going to start shipping the Silver color DD units? We r all anxious to get them in our GTs! Thanks! :banana

We are back ordered on two units, but have about 7 in process.
We determine delivery dates by when we receive payment.

We have been focusing on the GTX1 roof over the past few weeks and getting carbon orders out for the Rally, so the cast parts have been lagging.

I'll be caught up on current double din orders the week after the Rally.

Thanks for the interest!

Last edited:

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
It is used to insure that the unit has space between the head unit and the DD so the screen can open properly and also to insure that it is level in the opening

Takes care

Shadowman

Hummm... my guys thought the tongue depressors were to check to make sure they didn't have a sore throat before the install so they didn't pass a virus to the unit. Oh well...:rofl:rofl My CF DD install photos should be posted in the morning.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Nah...

Hummm... my guys thought the tongue depressors were to check to make sure they didn't have a sore throat before the install so they didn't pass a virus to the unit. Oh well...:rofl:rofl My CF DD install photos should be posted in the morning.

Nah....
Your guys just ate the popsicles I sent and didn't share with you...

Can't wait to see the photos!
You got the first carbon DD!

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
On most head units, the radio protrudes about 5mm from the casting.
This allows for the required operational clearance.

As Shadowman said, the tounge depressor is used as a gauge to ensure operational clearance to the bottom of the casting. The Pioneer DDs have a drive mechanism that is lower than the screen.

Thanks Kip,
As I noted in my question I know that the tongue depressor is used for the bottom clearance, but was unsure if the radio itself protuded past the front of the casting. You answered this. I'm going to review the Kenwood unit I have to see what is required for installation.

John

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
One more...

Looks great! I will now need to get started on mine. I can see also how far the radio is protruding from the face of the casting.
Thanks,
John

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Nah....
Your guys just ate the popsicles I sent and didn't share with you...

Can't wait to see the photos!
You got the first carbon DD!

Well... sounds like we had a little setback last night... a few missing holes, a few holes to small, wrong size rivits... sounded like they made it through all of that and are making their way to completion.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Well... sounds like we had a little setback last night... a few missing holes, a few holes to small, wrong size rivits... sounded like they made it through all of that and are making their way to completion.

Me too!

But in my case it was an error on my part that cost me 1.5hours of unplanned work.

DRIVEBY

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 17, 2006
Las Vegas

JCSB

Ex GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
BTW I trial fitted my Kenwood DNX8120 and it fits perfectly using the bracket for the Pioneer. This will be my install unit. Anyone changing the McIntosh amp out?

John

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Just heard mine is complete!!! will pick in a short while when I get the call... Thanks Kip, Shadowman, Evan, Steve and all that helped with the install. True craftsmen!

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Just heard mine is complete!!! will pick in a short while when I get the call... Thanks Kip, Shadowman, Evan and all that helped with the install. True craftsmen!

Awsum...... yes your gal is ready

Kip did a nice job in creating this conversion

Thank you for having me a part of the processes associated with the system; yes there were a few tweaks needed along the way however when one considers the entire project they were minor and no reflection on the end results.

FYI Evan and Steve tag teamed very well and remained committed to nothing but the best for you and your gal.

Takes care

Shadowman

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Thanks Bill, that is so true.... Austin here we come!!!!! :banana:banana

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Eclipse

BTW I trial fitted my Kenwood DNX8120 and it fits perfectly using the bracket for the Pioneer. This will be my install unit. Anyone changing the McIntosh amp out?

John

Just installed an Eclipse system with our double DIN system.
They are compatible with the brackets we make for the Pioneer.

This car has a Rockford Fosgate amp we packaged in the trunk.

Great to hear the Kenwood worked!