2012 Boss 302S Finally Tested!

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Well, I paid for my Boss 302S race car in June last year, got it in December, just in time to put it away for the winter. I spent the better part of last week prepping the car (beyond the big mechanical race prep performed by Rehagan Racing in November). The prep work was mostly customizing things for the driver's personal preference and protecting the car from stones' etc. with film and wire mesh. I took her our for the maiden voyage on Friday last week at Neslon Ledges (where the Ford GT was 24-hour endurance tested by Mark and the guys). It was a very cold day, but the tires gripped. The car sounds amazing and ran spectacularly. After several laps getting used to the car, I was able to feel quite comfortable in the car. It feels big, and is very "compliant", even "plush" without feeling soft like a street car. At Nelson, that's a big plus for getting around the bumps fast. The track day steward, Fred is real Mustang fan, and went nuts when he saw the car running. He called his buddy who owns a nearby country Ford Dealership to come out as a spectator to see this new orange beast. Pete, the dealer arrived in his shiny new Laguna Seca to take pictures. I was able to give Pete a ride in our last practice session. I was able to achieve times with him in the right seat that unofficially beat the old SCCA record by two seconds! There are a few things we need to work on to fine tune the car, but I am impressed and look forward to having it in New Orleans.

Attachments

• IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 1,199
  • IMG_0702.jpg
    IMG_0702.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 385

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...I was able to achieve times with him in the right seat that unofficially beat the old SCCA record by two seconds! There are a few things we need to work on to fine tune the car...

Two people in the car...you set an SCCA record...and you still need to "fine tune" the rig!!!!! Now, that's downright funny right there!

But, all bullroar in the buckwheat - CONGRATS!!!!!!!! That's darned impressive!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup

(Edit: I said "set" a record...I obviously meant 'beat'!)

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Tim,

Great looking car. That vented hood looks like it will expel quite a bit of hot air. At the Utah Rally the Boss 302 drivers had to remove the front grill to keep from overheating. How were your temps? Looks like Hoosier or other track only tires?

Chip

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That thing looks extremely sweet! Congratulations on finally breaking in the new car :cheers

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Well done and looking good Daddio.
\
aka The Super Stig from Ohio!

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Way Cool Tim!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Tim, that looks great.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Cool Tim!!! Awesome it has a right seat, as I really wanted a ride in your ACRx at Miller!! Hope to get a ride in this one!! Garrett "owes" me for the radical ride :)

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Congrats Tim! Glad you finally got her to the track.

Let me know if you travel to a nearby midwest track, I will be there.

Sounds like there may be a few Boss's at this years rally....

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Well I guess it was time for both of us. I had mine out the past two days for a NASA event. The car is way better than the driver in my case, as it should be. All my expectations were exceeded with the performance and the way the car tracks. The grip was amazing with the Hoosiers and no cooling issue's at all. The Corvette's were easy to catch through the turns!

If you have any thoughts of a real track car these are super built,fast, and have a proven safety cage right out of the factory. I saw 30 or so Mustang race cars of all type's and none could run with the 302S.

It was a great weekend other than the crashes, saw two Mustangs turned into scraps.

IMG_0563.JPG

This is my neighbors car and he has been tearing up the American Iron class and all the other classes he raced with.

both 302s.jpg

IMG_0564.JPG

The Black Wheels really look good with these color combo's.

IMG_0573.JPG

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
What a beautiful race car ...... Love it!!! .... and now I want one too :facepalm::biggrin

Please post pictures of interior, engine, trunk etc. ...... want to see it all - to compare with the FR500C

:cheers
Anders

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim,

Great looking car. That vented hood looks like it will expel quite a bit of hot air. At the Utah Rally the Boss 302 drivers had to remove the front grill to keep from overheating. How were your temps? Looks like Hoosier or other track only tires?

Chip

The ambient temperature was 52 degrees, so overheating was not a concern. The Boss 302S has a much bigger racing radiator, and does not have the restrictive grill that the Laguna's have, it is basically wide open, like removing the grill would do. It also has auxillliary differential and transmission coolers with fans. The race cars have not run hot even in 100 degrees +.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Cool Tim!!! Awesome it has a right seat, as I really wanted a ride in your ACRx at Miller!! Hope to get a ride in this one!! Garrett "owes" me for the radical ride :)

It didn't have a right seat from the Factory, but Garrett insisted that we install one. We had three OMP seat in the shop, so naturally one found its way into the car. The cabin has so much room in it, I couldn't resist installing it. Plus, the cool shirt cooler fits right into the seat if I don't have a passenger. I'll be happy to give you ride.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Tim,

Chip

Forgot to answer your second question. I ran Hoosier R6 tires.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Awesome!!

It didn't have a right seat from the Factory, but Garrett insisted that we install one. We had three OMP seat in the shop, so naturally one found its way into the car. The cabin has so much room in it, I couldn't resist installing it. Plus, the cool shirt cooler fits right into the seat if I don't have a passenger. I'll be happy to give you ride.

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Interior Pics

What a beautiful race car ...... Love it!!! .... and now I want one too :facepalm::biggrin

Please post pictures of interior, engine, trunk etc. ...... want to see it all - to compare with the FR500C

:cheers
Anders

Anders - Here are the photos I have now, I don't have one of the trunk but will post it later. The trunk is bare except for the transmission and differential coolers and fans on each side.

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 278

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Tim,

I really hope the best for your parents and family. Glad to have you "back".

For the occasional track-driven car, this Cool Tech company makes some really trick bolt-in roll bar! The bars come fully powdercoated, are relatively easy to install and also incorporate a rear shock tower brace that improves rigidity. Also, the harness bar kicks back a full 6 inches to FULL seat travel is retained. First pic is the Race Red bar to match the interiors of the Laguna Seca. The next pic is a Competition Orange bar with the optional diagonal bar. The diagonal bar still allows full driver's seat motion, but restricts passenger seat by only one click.

RaceRed.jpg

BarDiag.JPG

timcantwell

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Kendall, that bar looks great. If I ever buy a street version. I gotta have one!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I got one for my 2013 Boss LS!Very ,very nice!
Kendal has some real nice goodies for the Boss!

nz05gt

GT Owner
Apr 28, 2006
taupo new zealand
Looks like every body has there new Boss 302s out for the first time.
We had ours out on the Dyno last week and monday for her first test, But only managed 25 laps be for the clutch plate lost its linings, just a nother thing to upgrade.
Car goes well for 430 rwhp@ 6550 rpm and 457 fwtq at 4550 rpm
cheers
NZ05GT