Ford GT Forum 200 mph Club & Standing Mile Results

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I also believe that with a 1.5 miles format that Tom sets up this time, a good pulley & tune with 100 octane would break 200mph, as I was only 1.3mph short at the last private GT day that Tom organized, and that was with a 1.3 miles format, plus I messed up. With a Whipple, touching 200mph is a foregone conclusion, even at Mojave with the higher altitude and DA (FastFreddy ready to comment on DA...:)

GTED

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Hey Tom, are you in 6th gear or 5th gear at 236 MPH??

Chip

Hey Chip,

I am in 6th. The top of 5th is right around 232 before you get that friendly rev limiter reminder. :lol By the time I was off the throttle just past the finish line my Vbox read 236.8 so it was still pulling.

It was a very interesting day and I learned a lot about turbo cars and the cold. While we did make more power, I had to use a one setting lower that I did at the April Mojave Mile when I did 225 in the standing mile. That hurt my seemingly never ending quest for 240. My first two runs the temps were in the 40's and I hit overboost in 5th and 6th. I was toying with the idea of increasing the boost in 6th to the next setting with the in cabin boost controller. It did not work as well as I had hoped and seemed to create a spike. My idea was that more power in 6th would be better since it is the over drive gear and I overthought the room by thinking changing the boost on the fly would be good. It wasn't.

Summer had a very interesting run her first run. She was running the lower boost setting and shifting around 6,500 just to feel things out. She was in 6th with a little over a quarter mile to go and the car pulled well. She finished with a 231.2 on that one. The interesting thing was with the two trap times you could see at the mile she was only at 209.6 but at the end she was at 231.2....a pick up of 21mph. On my best run I only picked up 14mph between traps one and two. And on her best run I was a passenger with her (want to scare yourself.....let a woman take you 231.5mph in your own car :facepalm::lol) and she ran 219 at the mile but only picked up 12mph before the next trap. :confused

Long story short I guess I need a setting between the two that I usually run events in for the cold because I definitely know that with the rolling start I should have been in the high 220's with a half a mile to go. If weather conditions had been similar to April and I could have run the setting I wanted I have no doubt the car would have cracked low 240's. But how often are temps at events going to be between 40 and 58 degrees throughout the day.

The only good thing about the cold was the engine never really got over 200, even running back to back for pretty much the whole day. We had a lot of happy passengers by the time the day was over and the look on a person's face after a 200+mph run is priceless.

That was a long answer to a short question. :lol:cheers

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Tom

Now you reminded me that I forgot to do 2 things at the event: 1. get a ride in your TT, and 2. try out clutch feel in Special Ed's car..... In the midst of all these 200+ runs...., I completely forgotten about them. Ok, next time, I'll put on reinforced knee pads to beg for a TT ride in your car and to try Ed's clutch. Tom which clutch do you have? I'd like to sample both the Spec and Stillen's.

Ed

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Tom

Now you reminded me that I forgot to do 2 things at the event: 1. get a ride in your TT, and 2. try out clutch feel in Special Ed's car..... In the midst of all these 200+ runs...., I completely forgotten about them. Ok, next time, I'll put on reinforced knee pads to beg for a TT ride in your car and to try Ed's clutch. Tom which clutch do you have? I'd like to sample both the Spec and Stillen's.

Ed

Actually I was making the rounds to see who wanted a TT ride when Scott noticed my brake rotors were cracking and it was probably better to shut it down for the day. I had just finished taking Rick and I had Jim in the car and had to tell him we would have to wait until next time. I felt bad because I wanted to take you, Dave and Special Ed for the full 235+ TT experience. I think I did 7 passenger rides.....including a couple with Summer. She was with me on the 236 pass I made. Summer took some of her friends on passenger rides as well. She actually loved the passenger aspect. When she heard about you wanting a TT ride she yelled out "I'll take him!!!" :eek :lol

However I don't know if I would have found you because once you cracked 204 on the first pass I don't think I saw you out of the car. :lol All I saw was that every time I saw a heritage go by the speed kept going UP!!! :rofl:rofl I thought you were going to try to catch my 75 passes over 200 all in one day!! :biggrin Summer and I could not have been happier for you. Next stop 220!!

Needless to say your TT ride will happen next time. I am not responsible if it makes you irrational and then you splurge on your own TT. It is that cool!!:cool

.....and I have the spec clutch. It has a little harder feel than the stock, but Summer actually likes it better and honestly so do I. I have a perfectly good stock clutch sitting in my garage gathering dust with my stock SC, stock exhaust and bumper. :cheers

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
I also believe that with a 1.5 miles format that Tom sets up this time, a good pulley & tune with 100 octane would break 200mph, as I was only 1.3mph short at the last private GT day that Tom organized, and that was with a 1.3 miles format, plus I messed up. With a Whipple, touching 200mph is a foregone conclusion, even at Mojave with the higher altitude and DA (FastFreddy ready to comment on DA...:)

GTED

With the rolling start there is not too much problem for the pulley guys making 200 as long as they don't have the stock exhaust. In a regular 1.5 standing mile event it will be close. The conditions are really the key for the standing start with the pulley guys. You need a little wind and not too hot.

I am also not a big fan of DA....but I also have a turbo so it affects me less. It is a stat that can be useful, but people who have run Texas and Mojave seem to have pretty similar times. Not saying lower (like Texas) is not better, just that it is not a dramatic difference.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
With the rolling start there is not too much problem for the pulley guys making 200 as long as they don't have the stock exhaust. In a regular 1.5 standing mile event it will be close. .
Who the hell still has a stock exhaust?

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Uhhhhh......:willy:secret::secret::willy......uhhh......well.....I think losing the stock exhaust is good for at least a .6mph increase.....:wink.....if you know what I mean after 18 runs. :biggrin

Barry I guarantee, and I don't do that very often, but I guarantee that you will crack 200 at the next event. I will see to it personally.....even if there is still a stock exhaust involved. :biggrin :cheers

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I wouldn't go as far to say with a only a pulley and tune you would get past 200 in 1.5 miles. The conditions still have to be somewhat favorable in regards to wind and temperature and the driver has to have good quick shifts at the right RPMs.

With a Whipple or better yet a TT you would have to really screw up not to past 200 in 1.5 miles.

Bonehead, hint, hint. :lol

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
200 in 1.5 miles is doable. I did 195.5 with a pulley and tune in a mile (it was cool and a tailwind) at 610whp.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Don't post as much as I used to as like the rest of us life gets ahold of me. I can see I was one of the last people to post on this thread as well. Well.....when we have an event like we did on Saturday and one of the Forum members reaches 200mph it is still a HUGE deal to me.

My friend Barry...FlagstaffGT.....has been to every event I have hosted over the past 5 years and rightly earned the nickname Mr. 199 as he has gone through the traps at 199 more that any person we have ever seen. :wink He keeps coming out and pushing his car to the limit in search of that elusive 200mph pass.

I am proud to announce that perseverance pays of and Barry is now MR. 204.6!!! :party:club:bow

Big congrats to our friend Barry and please add him to that special list at the beginning of this thread. :thumbsup:thumbsup

That said a good friend of mine in his Big Red 69 Camaro rocketed through the traps at 251.1mph this weekend. I have been racing with them since I started doing this 6 years ago and I could not be happier that they pushed that brick through the 250mph barrier. Not a FGT, but what an accomplishment!!

They did a documentary/reality show on NBCSN these past two months called Big Red The Original Outlaw Racer. Through 8 episodes it documents their 25 year history of driving the car through open road, land speed, track, mile and 1.5 mile events. I meant to post it earlier and I forgot. Each episode goes through the different venues and it has episodes at the Texas Mile, Bonneville Salt Flats, El MIrage, Virginia City and other races. Episodes 5 and 8 focus on the Mojave events and there are some very good scenes of our FGT in action. The show will re-air in December and I think can be accessed still on Direct TV/satellite type stuff. It was well done and if you have a chance to watch it I think you would enjoy it.

As for me I crossed 100 200+MPH passes in my FGT this weekend.....a mini goal I have had in the back of my mind for myself when I started all of this. In April I set a new personal best of 237.3 MPH. I have watched a lot of runs over the last few years and made a lot of friends. I can tell you that we see big numbers put up by Mark and his incredible machine and we get spoiled....forgetting how hard it is to make a car go 200+MPH. It is still and always will be an incredible accomplishment to pass the 200MPH barrier. It is truly amazing how many owners have been able to achieve this automotive bucket list feat in a FGT. I watch people in all makes and models of cars trying to get to that number....often failing for years before it happens. We should never take it for granted when someone gets to that lofty goal.

Besides wear items like brakes, rotors....etc....I have been fortunate enough to have no real repair bills on all the stock engine internals. What a testament to the machine that was built by Ford Motor Company. We have all given them accolades over the years and I am adding my own. Thanks for creating such an incredible, timeless piece of automotive art that blends function, reliability and iconic looks. It has and will continue to create memories that I never dreamed possible when I was a young man.

All my best to my fellow FGT owners past and present. Keep Driving!!:cheers

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Barry I guarantee, and I don't do that very often, but I guarantee that you will crack 200 at the next event. I will see to it personally.....even if there is still a stock exhaust involved. :biggrin :cheers

Guarantee fulfilled!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup :cheers

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Way to go Barry!!! Glad you got it and by a good bit :cheers:cheers

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Congratulations Barry. You made it happen!

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May be grinning, a little.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Congrats, Barry!! I witnessed how close you were the last couple of events. 204 and change..., you not only reached 200, but have quite a bit of margin too. Nice.

Tom, congrats on another great event you and Summer put together. I missed it this weekend, but will be there next year.

GTED

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
May be grinning, a little.

King of the understatement!! :facepalm: I was there it might have been a little more than a little grinning. :biggrin

Congrats, Barry!! I witnessed how close you were the last couple of events. 204 and change..., you not only reached 200, but have quite a bit of margin too. Nice.

Tom, congrats on another great event you and Summer put together. I missed it this weekend, but will be there next year.

GTED

You know what it is like to slay that 200mph dragon as you killed it last year!!

Thanks Ed for the compliment on the event!! Will get you those pics and summary that you requested. Things have been a little crazy obviously. I gave 14 passenger rides in the GT Saturday....most between 220-226 and I will tell you seeing peoples faces light up after a run is truly priceless!! Here are a couple of pics of my GT looking at the runway at sunrise on Saturday preparing for battle.

Attachments

• sunrisegt1.jpg
    sunrisegt1.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 203
  • sunrisegt2.jpg
    sunrisegt2.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 186

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Congrats Barry. I'm happy for you. I know that you REALLY, REALLY wanted to break the 200 barrier.

Aloha,

Dave

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Way to go Barry !!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007