Texas Miles

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't want to sound anyway negative as I think you guys have pushed the tech on the FGT to amazing levels. I suspect though, continued runs at this level of performance cannot be advantageous to the engine and mechanics of the car? Has anyone replace their block, had any issues with parts, cams, cranks, driveshafts after repeated runs at these speeds?

Does this level of performance shorten significantly the engine hallf life?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Not if you drive the car like EP.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I don't want to sound anyway negative as I think you guys have pushed the tech on the FGT to amazing levels. I suspect though, continued runs at this level of performance cannot be advantageous to the engine and mechanics of the car? Has anyone replace their block, had any issues with parts, cams, cranks, driveshafts after repeated runs at these speeds?

It os virtually impossible to kill the block in the Ford GT, period. If you go in to building a car with double the power expecting it to last just as long, you're in the wrong game. The engine's overall life will be reduced proportionally to the application of WOT. You could have a car making 1100rwhp that will last forever if it never sees WOT but twice a year.

I do believe the GT engine was durability tested at WOT for several hundred hours. Every extra hundred rwhp probably halves that. I don't know anyone that runs a car at WOT for 100 hours over the life of a vehicle.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
For us lame dudes

Acronym Definition :

WOT Web of Trust
WoT War on Terror(ism)
WOT Wheel Of Time
WOT Waste of Time
WoT The Wheel of Time (book series by Robert Jordan)
WOT Wide Open Throttle
WoT Way of Thinking
WOT Way Off Topic
WOT Women on Top
WoT Wall of Text
WOT Women-Only Training
WOT Work Order Ticket

I liked the Women on Top, myself!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas

I did 18 runs with 609whp and have done 10 runs with 994whp and the car is running perfectly. It will need new front rotors after this weekend as mine are getting cracks in them from the drilled holes. I guess stopping from 210+ will do that. :biggrin

doogie48084

Mar 21, 2007
Taylor Michigan
Man, was it hot today. I did a slow (in this crowd) but very fun 171.074 on my first run. Pulley and Tune. But I had a great time. It is something everyone should try at least once. The path is very wide, and plenty of time for braking. All very straightforward and fun.

It was HOT!!!

Here's a picture of us arriving and a helicopter shooting video.

P1010205.jpg

Who's car is that with ontario plates? and who's car is that with the darth vader look to it?

Awesome times by the way...Wish I could've been there!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I did 18 runs with 609whp and have done 10 runs with 994whp and the car is running perfectly. It will need new front rotors after this weekend as mine are getting cracks in them from the drilled holes. I guess stopping from 210+ will do that. :biggrin

you guys rock!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I heard Cody went 221 mph today with a missed 2-3 shift! Supposedly the datalog showed that he lost 24 mph when he missed the shift and he STILL ran a 221! Damn!

Come on Cody, get us GT guys a 240!

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I heard Cody went 221 mph today with a missed 2-3 shift! Supposedly the datalog showed that he lost 24 mph when he missed the shift and he STILL ran a 221! Damn!

you sure it was 221? I thought he ran a 217 with the missed shift (the one I am thinking of was run before 3:00pm). If he missed a shift on a second run I know he is kicking himself cause he was mad at himself for missing the shift on the 217 run.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

wow, that would put him at 245! one shy of the record. maybe with some luck they can break that this weekend!:cheers

Toolman

Mar 30, 2008
wow, that would put him at 245! one shy of the record. maybe with some luck they can break that this weekend!:cheers

Well, not exactly. While he may have lost some speed during the missed shift, the power it takes to get that speed back will vary greatly depending on which shift he missed. An oversimplification would be to compare how long it takes to accel from 20-44mph versus 221-245mph. Obviously, the slower he was going when he missed the shift, the less it affected the run. Even if he missed it at near 200mph (to lose as much as the datalog shows, the wind resistance must have been extreme), it takes a good deal longer to accel from 200-224 than from 224-248.

But either way, AWESOME runs,a nd amazing speeds you guys are reaching. My next mile, I will be more than elated to see 185. I can not imagine how great it must feel to run 200+!!

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
All this 220 talk has me itching for a TT. Unfortunately the Republic of Kalifornia prohibits such nonsense.:willy

More Images Here from Thursday ( approx 100 slides)

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/... Mile Event/?action=view&current=070d17f7.pbw

Maybe they will give me a free pass if I add one of these to reduce my carbon fooprint. Who has the contacts I need to pull this off. :bored

Attachments

• IMG_0517.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 321

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
Well, not exactly. While he may have lost some speed during the missed shift, the power it takes to get that speed back will vary greatly depending on which shift he missed. An oversimplification would be to compare how long it takes to accel from 20-44mph versus 221-245mph. Obviously, the slower he was going when he missed the shift, the less it affected the run. Even if he missed it at near 200mph (to lose as much as the datalog shows, the wind resistance must have been extreme), it takes a good deal longer to accel from 200-224 than from 224-248.

But either way, AWESOME runs,a nd amazing speeds you guys are reaching. My next mile, I will be more than elated to see 185. I can not imagine how great it must feel to run 200+!!

I missed the same 2-3 shift and I ran 214. I would say I lost 8-10mph so Cody lost the same. If he did 221 and missed then I would say he was on track for a 230 run.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
All this 220 talk has me itching for a TT. Unfortunately the Republic of Kalifornia prohibits such nonsense.:willy

I agree!! I am beginning to feel that getting a TT set-up is becoming a "when" not an "if". :lol Fortunately I have the option to register my car in Nevada.

I missed the same 2-3 shift and I ran 214. I would say I lost 8-10mph so Cody lost the same. If he did 221 and missed then I would say he was on track for a 230 run.

Quick question. How many runs can you get in on an average day at the Texas Mile?? Just curious. I am thinking the Mojave Mile will not be quite as busy as yours because it is not an established event. I know my visions of running up and down the runway are not accurate, but I want to get a feel of what to expect in March. :cheers

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
you sure it was 221? I thought he ran a 217 with the missed shift (the one I am thinking of was run before 3:00pm). If he missed a shift on a second run I know he is kicking himself cause he was mad at himself for missing the shift on the 217 run.

Just relaying what Ray told me, so it's probably wrong. :lol

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
a TT Gallardo went 238.2 mph yesterday with a missed 2-3 shift :eek

does anybody know what the weather is like today and how fast peak completions has gone?

SANY0056.jpg

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
jason just ran a 226:eek :thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005