Updates on your 2005-2006 Ford GT, What have you done lately?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Haha, oof. Wrong on that front. Scott has spent a loooooooot of time doing suspension/vehicle dynamics engineering in both OEM street and race applications, including many years doing suspension engineering in Indy Car.

FWIW, I own neither but have a lot of time in GTs with both the Penske and Ohlins setups. Scott's suspension setup is really incredible. It's the best mix of performance capability and road compliance I've ever experienced in a supercar, ever. It's expensive, but if I could only make one modification to an 05/06 GT, that would be it.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Haha, oof. Wrong on that front. Scott has spent a loooooooot of time doing suspension/vehicle dynamics engineering in both OEM street and race applications, including many years doing suspension engineering in Indy Car.

FWIW, I own neither but have a lot of time in GTs with both the Penske and Ohlins setups. Scott's suspension setup is really incredible. It's the best mix of performance capability and road compliance I've ever experienced in a supercar, ever. It's expensive, but if I could only make one modification to an 05/06 GT, that would be it.
Wow. I have zero experience with supercars other than the GT. I couldn't tell you if there's room for improvement but if changing shocks is better than when I changed tires, dayam!

white out

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 22, 2011

Again, not discrediting Scott. But saying one person has supported more race cars than Penske's suspension division (supports IndyCar, NASCAR, IMSA, among other series) is a bit unrealistic.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I had Penskes then switched to Scott's Ohlins shocks on my '05. A huge difference. The Ohlins are good but it's Scott's internal setup that makes it the best choice. Also I had to have the Penskes rebuilt each year (6K miles/yr). They use an o-ring type seal so they weep enough not to notice fluid loss but when you take them apart you'll see the amount of fluid loss.

Reactions: white out

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I had Penskes then switched to Scott's Ohlins shocks on my '05. A huge difference. The Ohlins are good but it's Scott's internal setup that makes it the best choice. Also I had to have the Penskes rebuilt each year (6K miles/yr). They use an o-ring type seal so they weep enough not to notice fluid loss but when you take them apart you'll see the amount of fluid loss.

Ed, How much increase in Ride height did you observe when making the switch?

My Penske's are set up like yours were, curious to know how much higher the car will sit at the lowest setting with Scott's system.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'm not doubting anything about Scott. But it is unlikely that he has supported as many race cars as the Penske team, they are a motorsports powerhouse. The guys that design, test and build the coilovers for our cars are the same guys design, test and build the suspension for the top tier
I'm not doubting anything about Scott. But it is unlikely that he has supported as many race cars as the Penske team, they are a motorsports powerhouse. The guys that design, test and build the coilovers for our cars are the same guys design, test and build the suspension for the top tier race series.
Whatever!
we’re just stating that Scott’s a talented guy with a lot of experience and a real passion for the Ford GT.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Race cars and street cars have very different requirements.

Scott was the suspension engineer on the GT program. Furthermore, you should look up the race teams he's been part of since he left Ford. His shocks are Ohlins, which also are a favorite used by race teams. Pick the suspension engineer on Penske with the most experience, and Scott is in the same category.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Mike and Rob, You'll have to drive my car sometime. I have Scott's shocks, set nearly full soft for the street.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Mike and Rob, You'll have to drive my car sometime. I have Scott's shocks, set nearly full soft for the street.
I wont argue

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
Would be great if Scott did some type of group buy on these shocks.

Reactions: Anderson

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Shelby Foundation event at Ford of Upland on a rather hot day in Southern Ca. Out with PilotMarky and his wife in their beautiful Carbon Series in my '06 black stripe delete. Just some quick cell phone snaps.

Yes, GT Venum - would love a group buy on Ahlman Suspension for the '05-'06.

IMG_0262.jpgIMG_0263.jpgIMG_0273.jpg

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Count me in, if a group buy happens for Scott’s shocks.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Just installed the one person clamshell release kit. Now EVERYBODY listen up. DO IT! Being short I'm so thankful for this. It will definitely prevent accidental damage trying to do both sides solo, and I don't look like a spaz trying. Thanks Rich

Reactions: extrap and 2112

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Ed, How much increase in Ride height did you observe when making the switch?

My Penske's are set up like yours were, curious to know how much higher the car will sit at the lowest setting with Scott's system.
Scott , I think specified a ride height by using the jack points as a place to measure.
He presets them to the height you can communicate with him depending on how bad your roads are or whatever particular look your after

For some reason mine had to be set a little bit lower than what the numbers were calculating out to be, but I think my Jack pad sits front and rear about 4 inches from the ground.
I don’t have much travel in the rear suspension lift to use but I’ve never felt it hit the bump stops yet.
I currently have my set up as for more of a track version (Sebring set up.)
Rides firm on the streets, depending on how bad your roads are but nothing that will shake your teeth

Reactions: 2112

Twturbo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 28, 2022
Upland SoCal
Shelby Foundation event at Ford of Upland on a rather hot day in Southern Ca. Out with PilotMarky and his wife in their beautiful Carbon Series in my '06 black stripe delete. Just some quick cell phone snaps.

Yes, GT Venum - would love a group buy on Ahlman Suspension for the '05-'06.

View attachment 67926View attachment 67927View attachment 67928
Oh bummer i live in Upland & missed this

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Just installed the one person clamshell release kit. Now EVERYBODY listen up. DO IT! Being short I'm so thankful for this. It will definitely prevent accidental damage trying to do both sides solo, and I don't look like a spaz trying. Thanks Rich
From the guy that said he would never mod his car…..LOL

While I have thought about this over the years, I never have any trouble getting the clamshell open. I can either reach across from the driver side (not standing on the sill plate) or open the driver side, click open that hinge and walk around to the passenger side.

Reactions: Anderson

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
While I have thought about this over the years, I never have any trouble getting the clamshell open. I can either reach across from the driver side (not standing on the sill plate) or open the driver side, click open that hinge and walk around to the passenger side.

After the Bridgestones, absolutely the best upgrade I have made to my car is the Clamshell lever.

Reactions: dshears

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
After the Bridgestones, absolutely the best upgrade I have made to my car is the Clamshell lever.
Well in another thread a guy is thinking a CF console is equivalent to a wife upgrade so I’m compelled to put that at the top of the heap.

On my car, my favorite mods (other than the CF console) are:
1. Tires
2. Pulley and programming
3. Custom Exhaust with racing headers
4. Moton 4 way adjustable suspension
5. Short shifter

Then things like transmission cooler, the full set of red CF caps, head cover & door sills, aircraft aluminum engine braces, backup camera, speedhut gauges, upgraded leather interior with deviating stitching.

Least favorite mod - stupid black wheels…..with honorable mention for the car seat bracket (since removed).

Reactions: 2112

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
From the guy that said he would never mod his car…..LOL

Ha, you remember. After owning it a while now, my ideas have changed dramatically from "I'm not gonna drive it" to "hello track", "don't touch it" to "how do I convince my wife a larger SC is safer".

Reactions: Shark01 and 2112

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Good list.

My faves in order:
1. Ahlman shocks
2. Seat covers with lumbar support inflatable cushion
3. Bridgestones
4. Speedhut complete panel
5. Stillen splash guards
Other stuff: Ford Racing muffler, PPF, cup holder, Bluetooth adaptor, Red/white stripes shifter ball, etc.

2 mods waiting for my completion: cruise control, 3.4 Whipple SC with Torrie tune.