Transmission 1-2 Shift Grind

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Freddy, it's all about something else, a slight grind from 1st to 2nd gears when cold.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
My GT is hard to get into Reverse too, still need two hands after 700 miles, but I don't really mind this. As wonka said, I'll never accidentally go into reverse.

My blinkers also have a squell that changes pitch with the engine RPM. Used to it now, but the dealer is checking it out.

They are checking out my 1-2 shift grind as well. It's not a major grind, just a couple cogs, and only when it's cold. I'll let everyone know if they are able to make an adjustment or not.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Any further info on the 1-2 grind issue? I just got my car and noticed this characteristic on mine, as well. If anyone has some guidance I can give my dealer, that would be great.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
COLD shift

You should drive a Ferrari! They're legendary for being unshiftable until they're warm.

This problem is not really a problem - it is a characteristic of the gearbox. The transaxle is a very robust unit intended for use on high-horspower cars. You are probably aware that Riccardo units very similar to our gearbox is used on IRL racers and some Le Mans racers (although theirs are non-synchro straight-cut gear versions). The grinding you are getting is not actually the gears grinding, so don't worry - it is the 'dogs' inside the box that are having trouble meshing. The solution is simple - shift very slowly from 1st to 2nd until the car is up to temperature.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I think everyone experiences the cold tranny characteristic...I just shift from 1 to 3 until it warms up, usually within 5 minutes or less. As far reverse, with the gear in neutral, I give it a mild slap (nothing harsh) toward the driver (eg. me), and it goes right into reverse gear everytime. No need to pull or grind it. Actually, the dealer that I bought the car from showed me this trick when I initially test drove one of their Ford GTs.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The problem is that we didn't have enough time inside of a very compressed program to develop a temperature compensated synchronizer for the 1-2 shift, so there is a slight gear clash on the 1-2 shift when everything is still cold. After a few minutes of warm-up the temperature rises to the level that the synchronizer was designed for and the clash goes away. I get the clash on a shift at "normal speed". I can get it to stop initially by giving the synchronizer a couple of seconds to catch up or by pulling the gear change hard, which apparently forces the synchronizer to match gear speeds before they engage. This is annoying but not serious.

Neil Ressler
Thanks Neil - it's great to have your input on this issue, as it gets rid of the conjecture, and putting it to rest.

I personally make that shift very slowly, pausing as I'm entering the 2nd gear when the car is cold, and allowing the synchornizer to come up to speed. This seems to work for me.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I also have the 1-2 slight gring when cold and have it down to a science now and take a split second delay usually works til shes all warmed up. But Freddy; from stop to 1st gear is common on many cars. Since I ever started driving I have always made it a habit to line up in 2nd gear before sliding up to 1st. I bet mine would gring too but I would never know as I always line up in 2 first and makes things much better. I even noticed my Carrera wold gring at times when my wife or somone would drive it. Never for me as I lined up in 2.
Plus if you do this (line up in 2nd), you won't get a 3rd gear start..... :thumbsup

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Second Gear

I've noticed that my GT catches a bit when going into 2nd gear from 1st.

Someone told me that this was "normal" on these cars.

Fact or fiction?

Many Thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Normal when cold. After about 2 miles it should shift fine. Many just skip 2nd when the tranny is cold.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Normal when cold. After about 2 miles it should shift fine. Many just skip 2nd when the tranny is cold.
Like the ferraris, we had a different thread on this. if you are in cold conditions, you might consider a more fluid at cold conditions tranny oil, but I'd be careful

ROWNER8

Dec 10, 2007
2nd gear crunch

black ice is absolutely correct about cold transmissions. according to Ricardo, the manufacturer, the gear oil mostly drips off the 2nd gear when the car has sat awhile and the slight crunch will be heard when shifting the first time from 1st. to 2nd. After the first shift or warm up, you will not hear the noise again until the car is cold again. also you will hear some slight rattle in neutral as well until the trans is warmed up. many a transaxle was replaced under warranty even though it's an inherent design issue that couldn't be changed.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I generally shift from 1st to 3rd until the engine is totally warmed up, otherwise it does grind a bit.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
When developing the 3.9 gear ratio with Ricardo we asked them about this second gear crunch and they said that it is perfectly normal and acceptable. They told us that the transmission can easily handle a smooth but firm gear shift. Don't manhandle it like a gorilla, but a "firm" (their words) shift is what the gearbox wants. They are not concerned with the second gear crunch that we all have grown acustomed to.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Which we have all discussed before, this is EASILY eliminated with a smooth "blip" when upshifting to 2nd SLOWLY, when the box is cold.

With careful use of the throttle to properly mesh the gears, this car is really easy to shift with out the clutch. Disclaimer: don't try this unless you fully practice the concept while using the clutch.......

When developing the 3.9 gear ratio with Ricardo we asked them about this second gear crunch and they said that it is perfectly normal and acceptable. They told us that the transmission can easily handle a smooth but firm gear shift. Don't manhandle it like a gorilla, but a "firm" (their words) shift is what the gearbox wants. They are not concerned with the second gear crunch that we all have grown acustomed to.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
When shifting cold, I press the shifter against the gate into 2nd, blink one time, then nudge the shifter into second firmly. No grind, no noise every time. It seems like just waiting a brief moment does the trick for me.
I'm with you Bruce. Cold shifts into 2nd gear are a two part process as you state and every thing is hunky dory. Then when she warms up.....:banana

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Viper, I've got just over 12K miles on my car, almost all highway, and it still catches just a bit when cold. The tranny cooler doesn't help. There are many, many old posts about this. You may have to look in the archives.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Had the exact same problem. I unfortunately started out in 3rd instead of 1st putting my car up my driveway into te garage. It smoked the clutch a little and after a while the slight grinding from 1st to second disappeared. Probably completely unrelated. However, I did also find that double clutching when the car was cold also reduced or eliminated the problem. It also goes away over time and miles. 2000-3000 miles on the car and it should disappear.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
It also goes away over time and miles. 2000-3000 miles on the car and it should disappear.
My car has 11k on it and I still get a little crunch when it's cold. I have been told that a twin turbo kit will solve the problem. I may have to give it a try.

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK
I still get the crunch. 15k miles on my car. I shift 1st-3rd for the first 10 minutes of driving. It takes mine more than 2-3 miles to get warmed up.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
When shifting cold, I press the shifter against the gate into 2nd, blink one time, then nudge the shifter into second firmly. No grind, no noise every time. It seems like just waiting a brief moment does the trick for me.