Transmission 1-2 Shift Grind

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
How many stock transmission can hold up to almost double the stock torque input! I would guess like most things there are design tradeoffs and the cold 2nd gear grind was lower on the list. I can live with that in exchange for the transaxles holding up to Whipple and TT upgrades. I think the Nissan GTR doesn't have a grind problem, but I doubt that you can double the HP and have it stay operational for very long.
Nissan GTR has flappy paddles, not a manual transmission so I too doubt it grinds going into second gear!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Nissan GTR has flappy paddles, not a manual transmission so I too doubt it grinds going into second gear!
I know that, but can it handle a 2x increase in stock torque without breaking like the FGT can? The point is tradeoffs between robustness and quiet operation when cold.

Bart Carter

GT Owner
Mar 12, 2006
Las Vegas
I had the problem since new. When I recently had the transmission oil changed, the "crunch" reduced by 70 percent. I have always eased it into 2nd until fully warmed. Even when fully warmed, there is still a little crunch, so I feel it in.

If some people have zero crunch, then it is the build, not the design.

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
After 700 miles:
- When the GT is first started and cool , the transmission grinds (lightly) into 2nd (low RPM 1500-2000). It will do this only into 2nd out of 1st and only once or twice. After some warm up ( 4 min.) it will not grind.
- After a "Good Pull" (To 6000 rpm) and strong boost thrugh 2nd gear the idle hangs at 2000rpm for a period of 15-30 seconds and returns to normal.
My SC Viper does the same at times.
- I have a 1/2" difference in non-weighted ride height from side to side driver side being lower, with out me in it.

But damn....I love this car!

Comments?

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California
sorry for the mispost by me earlier in this thread. mine does not stick at all on the 1-2 shift when cold or hot. mine sticks real bad when i try to put it into 1st especially when cold. is this the same problem as the 1-2 shift that you guys are having or is this a result of something else?
I also have the 1-2 slight gring when cold and have it down to a science now and take a split second delay usually works til shes all warmed up. But Freddy; from stop to 1st gear is common on many cars. Since I ever started driving I have always made it a habit to line up in 2nd gear before sliding up to 1st. I bet mine would gring too but I would never know as I always line up in 2 first and makes things much better. I even noticed my Carrera wold gring at times when my wife or somone would drive it. Never for me as I lined up in 2.

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I have the same issue with the first to second shift when cold. After warm up then everything is smooth.

I have not observed your other two issues.

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Great thread that answered all my shifter questions...

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
The tranny does feel a little rough when the car is cold for me as well.
But having driven it 200+ miles in the past 3 days, I've fallen even more in love with it!
The engine is so muted, with the whine of the supercharger it feels I've got a jet engine in the back.
In the winding roads of the mountains of the California coast I was easily able to outdistance a 996 on the turns (of course straightaways are obvious...).
This being my first mid-engine car, I understand why some of my friends swear by them.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
sorry for the mispost by me earlier in this thread. mine does not stick at all on the 1-2 shift when cold or hot. mine sticks real bad when i try to put it into 1st especially when cold. is this the same problem as the 1-2 shift that you guys are having or is this a result of something else?

Last edited:

Neil Ressler

Ford GT Team Alumni
Nov 24, 2009
The problem is that we didn't have enough time inside of a very compressed program to develop a temperature compensated synchronizer for the 1-2 shift, so there is a slight gear clash on the 1-2 shift when everything is still cold. After a few minutes of warm-up the temperature rises to the level that the synchronizer was designed for and the clash goes away. I get the clash on a shift at "normal speed". I can get it to stop initially by giving the synchronizer a couple of seconds to catch up or by pulling the gear change hard, which apparently forces the synchronizer to match gear speeds before they engage. This is annoying but not serious.

Neil Ressler

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Cold Shift Grind

I've definitely noticed this one as well, but as others have stated I also found it only lasted about five minutes after start up (if that), so I stopped thinking about it.

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
But is it not bad for the gearbox any time the gears clash, meaning when cold the car has to be driven very very gingerly??

The problem is that we didn't have enough time inside of a very compressed program to develop a temperature compensated synchronizer for the 1-2 shift, so there is a slight gear clash on the 1-2 shift when everything is still cold. After a few minutes of warm-up the temperature rises to the level that the synchronizer was designed for and the clash goes away. I get the clash on a shift at "normal speed". I can get it to stop initially by giving the synchronizer a couple of seconds to catch up or by pulling the gear change hard, which apparently forces the synchronizer to match gear speeds before they engage. This is annoying but not serious.

Neil Ressler

Last edited:

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
As long as the one-two cold shift issue is a "characteristic" of most GTs I am not too worried about it. I can live with my transmission fluid being thick and thus taking some time to warm up if it indeed protects the transmission better.

Hope your ride height issue gets resolved.

Thanks for the report.

-Chris

ford.f1

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2009
I have no problem with my Ford GT!.:thumbsup

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
1-2

It's not an issue, but a characteristic. It's the same for the manual shift Ferraris, if you are in the know a cold engine you always shift 1 3 first. I find that quite cute, it's like a beautiful female, needs some time to get ready for going out.... :biggrin

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I usually go 1st to third when cold or feel resistance when shifting to 2nd. I assume this would not cause any cluthch problems but not sure

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SLF360 said:
It's not an issue, but a characteristic. It's the same for the manual shift Ferraris, if you are in the know a cold engine you always shift 1 3 first. I find that quite cute, it's like a beautiful female, needs some time to get ready for going out.... :biggrin
Great analogy! :thumbsup

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
Yes I do too.
I usually go 1st to third when cold or feel resistance when shifting to 2nd. I assume this would not cause any cluthch problems but not sure

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
The FGT Forum "Search" is your friend. This issue has been discussed in detail years ago. It is a "normal characteristic" of our car's transaxle. Shift from 1st to 3rd until tranny warms up.
Any further info on the 1-2 grind issue? I just got my car and noticed this characteristic on mine, as well. If anyone has some guidance I can give my dealer, that would be great.

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
I have noticed that I have a little grind problem at times going into 1st and 2nd. I am taking my car to the GT Guy shop in January and it is on my list of items to check out. Will let you know what is causing this when they fix it.