Second Gear

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
I've noticed that my GT catches a bit when going into 2nd gear from 1st.

Someone told me that this was "normal" on these cars.

Fact or fiction?

Many Thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Normal when cold. After about 2 miles it should shift fine. Many just skip 2nd when the tranny is cold.

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Normal when cold. After about 2 miles it should shift fine. Many just skip 2nd when the tranny is cold.

Like the ferraris, we had a different thread on this. if you are in cold conditions, you might consider a more fluid at cold conditions tranny oil, but I'd be careful

ROWNER8

Dec 10, 2007
2nd gear crunch

black ice is absolutely correct about cold transmissions. according to Ricardo, the manufacturer, the gear oil mostly drips off the 2nd gear when the car has sat awhile and the slight crunch will be heard when shifting the first time from 1st. to 2nd. After the first shift or warm up, you will not hear the noise again until the car is cold again. also you will hear some slight rattle in neutral as well until the trans is warmed up. many a transaxle was replaced under warranty even though it's an inherent design issue that couldn't be changed.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
fact

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Viper... did you receive my email asking you to consider supporting this place? :)

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Oooooo, public call out. :pop

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hello Mark,
When I welcome folks to the owners circle and change their tittle from SPECTATOR to OWNER I always send a PM or email stating that I hope they consider supporting this place.
For the record DBK cringes when I do that,.. Just like you stepped up, I did, and I am proud to be the first MARK IV member. Others pride themselves on getting a free lunch... We are seeing a lot of that lately as we bail out banks and insurance companies... My business is full of folks like that, they are the bottom 5% who get washed out every year.
This is an OWNERS FORUM, not ran by 108 sponsors and welcoming every high school kid so that as many hits are generated as possible.
I am not ashamed to ask and try to preserve what we have going here. Do you want butter on that popcorn??:)
GOD BLESS AMERICA,
daniel

Last edited:

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
Mark's response was funny, but I agree with you, Bony. There is so much valuable information available on this forum, that it's worth the price of subscription many times over in the first few months of usage alone.

Mark06GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I generally shift from 1st to 3rd until the engine is totally warmed up, otherwise it does grind a bit.

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Viper... did you receive my email asking you to consider supporting this place? :)

Bony I didn't get your email, I've just checked. Send me a mail and an average kind of donation and I'll check my bank account. I am totally skint at the moment since buying this car so be gentle.

On the gearbox side. It crunches all the time into second even when warm. I've heard the rattle on idle but that's nothing compared to my RS. The Viper did it until the factory issued a change of oil type.

I don't like the crunch into second....it reminds me of an old Mini I once owned in my youth. The gerabox was shot.

I can't imagine why this would be normal in a carlike this....maybe an oil change of sort would help?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Bony I didn't get your email, I've just checked. Send me a mail and an average kind of donation and I'll check my bank account. I am totally skint at the moment since buying this car so be gentle.

On the gearbox side. It crunches all the time into second even when warm. I've heard the rattle on idle but that's nothing compared to my RS. The Viper did it until the factory issued a change of oil type.

I don't like the crunch into second....it reminds me of an old Mini I once owned in my youth. The gerabox was shot.

I can't imagine why this would be normal in a carlike this....maybe an oil change of sort would help?

Assuming the car hasn't been abused at all in it's past, you might check the tranny oil level (though I don't know why that would be low), and the 1-2 shift cable adjustment for starters.

Was there no such crunch when you inspected the car prior to purchase? (I'm referring to when the car is fully warmed up.)

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
He got the car from us and when we road tested it there was no "UNUSUAL Crunch". If he is in clod climate where he lives it can prolong the time the 2nd gear crunch is heard. Also, as we have learned with alot of these GTs, there is a certain way when you switch gears that it will not crunch OR crunch less. I suspect that what you are hearing is just the normal second gear noise. Car only had 285 miles when we sold it and it definatly had not been abused.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.

The email was sent to the same address you registered your account at.
However you can refer to this thread for further information:-
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548

Since your dealing on Sterling which has a two to one rate to our dollar you Brits are enjoying a half off sale.
By reviewing the banners under our forum names you can determine what level most of us support this forum at.
Again, thanks for your consideration.
Cheers,
Bony

Viper

FORD GT OWNER - U.K.
Aug 9, 2008
Kent UK
Sure you can change gear without the crunch, you just have to change gear slowly and gently. Not that I have to change particularly quickly to crunch anyhow.

I'll keep playing and see how things progress but the car is warm and even after a 20 mile run it still happens.

Subs sorted.

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
had several GT's and they all did clicked a bit into second until they where warm. Some did more than others but only a few chattered until they warmed up. The most "perfect" one out of the box was 1076 (late 06 Heritage) ... the worst was my first one (early 05). 1161 (middle 05 build - non-speedy sleeve) is about normal ....

If you roll the car out of the garage and idle it (in neutral) until the temp comes up a bit then the car is less likely to do so. Maybe the exhaust warms the transaxle? Shelby is right if you're gentle on the first few second gear exchanges you rarely if ever hear it.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
When developing the 3.9 gear ratio with Ricardo we asked them about this second gear crunch and they said that it is perfectly normal and acceptable. They told us that the transmission can easily handle a smooth but firm gear shift. Don't manhandle it like a gorilla, but a "firm" (their words) shift is what the gearbox wants. They are not concerned with the second gear crunch that we all have grown acustomed to.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Which we have all discussed before, this is EASILY eliminated with a smooth "blip" when upshifting to 2nd SLOWLY, when the box is cold.

With careful use of the throttle to properly mesh the gears, this car is really easy to shift with out the clutch. Disclaimer: don't try this unless you fully practice the concept while using the clutch.......

When developing the 3.9 gear ratio with Ricardo we asked them about this second gear crunch and they said that it is perfectly normal and acceptable. They told us that the transmission can easily handle a smooth but firm gear shift. Don't manhandle it like a gorilla, but a "firm" (their words) shift is what the gearbox wants. They are not concerned with the second gear crunch that we all have grown acustomed to.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Hello Mark,
When I welcome folks to the owners circle and change their tittle from SPECTATOR to OWNER I always send a PM or email stating that I hope they consider supporting this place.
For the record DBK cringes when I do that,.. Just like you stepped up, I did, and I am proud to be the first MARK IV member. Others pride themselves on getting a free lunch... We are seeing a lot of that lately as we bail out banks and insurance companies... My business is full of folks like that, they are the bottom 5% who get washed out every year.
This is an OWNERS FORUM, not ran by 108 sponsors and welcoming every high school kid so that as many hits are generated as possible.
I am not ashamed to ask and try to preserve what we have going here. Do you want butter on that popcorn??:)
GOD BLESS AMERICA,
daniel

I was just funning ya, you know that. I think this group is more a club than a web-forum and membership has it's privileges (Bony's World for example... if you don't know what that is, it means you haven't paid your dues.) Now I want my club discount card and imitation mahogany wall plaque.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Hey Mark!! :)
I responded to your post, but the answer was really for 'other people'
Thanks for always being Mr Stand Up Guy.
Cheers,
daniel