The GT in 2015

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
In 1963 Corvette was moving to a Sting Ray. In 2002 Viper was in the last year of generation 2 getter ready for gen 3 to arrive in 2003.

On the 10th anniversary of GT there will (one assumes) no new GT and I wonder what will these cars be like in terms of

1. Numbers remaining from the original 4038 (as well as numbers still in US)
2. Numbers still in wrappers
3. Numbers with exotic dealers at any given time

As to dealers, the mainstays seem to have between 1 and 4 or 5 on the high end now. In 2015 will they have the occassional one or so or will owners still be flipping? Will a low mile GT be 10,000 not 1200?

4. Finally what will a 10,000 mile GT bring in dollars in 2015? Will the cars be as mileage sensitive or will people just be happy to find one even if it has 30,000 miles?

1434gt

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2006
a 10000 mile gt in 2015 will bring the same price as today or a little more

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
No way of knowing how many are left. I think there's been a whole bunch repaired, but they aren't unicorns in any way. Best guess, probably 3000 never-damaged cars.

I bet there are a lot more GT's in wrappers than people think. I know quite a few guys on this site with wrapper cars, but I also know quite a few guys NOT on the site with wrapper cars. Just by virtue of the fact that they pop up reasonably frequently says there are probably quite a few out there hiding. I should note that, to me, wrapper is any of the cars that show up with between 3 and 200 miles.

I think dealers have caught on to a bit of the "GT" mania going on. They never used to have them, now they fight over them. I've also seen alot of dealers asking goofy prices on GT's lately.

I'd be willing to bet a majority of GT's will still be 10,000 or less miles in 4 years. Kayvan's annual mileage poll still had the majority under 10,000, and I think with each passing year they get driven less. Guys who are going to drive them a bunch are already doing it, and guys that want to buy used ones for drivers won't be as sensitive to buy a super low mile car.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
Agree 100% with DBK

GT38

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 19, 2008
Glendale, Arizona
I predict that in 2015 PL510*Jeff will have 160,000+ miles on his GT, and that it will be in near-perfect condition! :biggrin

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
I would be interested in others thoughts on mileage and value. Let us consider an average 4 option white GT with no major stories over a large mileage range. I would like to see a value/mileage graph that has value on the Y axis and mileage on the X axis. What does that line look like? You don't see many higher mileage cars for sale. Where's the basement for these cars?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
I pretty much agree with DBK as well. there seems to be a common mentality on a lot of the collector cars where anything with less then 2,000 miles will bring an ultra premium where cars with 2500-10,000 miles will still bring strong money. however the group of cars that have over 10,000 miles and up to 30,000-40,000 miles will still bring good money but it shows that the car was appreciated and was driven by the owners. I think if someone is going to buy a car to drive and have fun, paying the premium for an under 2,000 mile car doesn't make a lot of sense to me in the future. I think the price will depend on what the buyer wants to do with it. buy a super low mileage car for investment or buy a car with some mile to have fun with. that's just my opinion. I've had far too many in the wrapper Ford cars that I thought would make a killing in the future to find out I was dead wrong. I will never buy another car to let sit in my collection becuase it's still in the wrapper. maybe it's an age thing especially when you're on the downside of the hill.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Stragely enough I got a call Thursday from the dealer I purchased my car from wanting to know if I still owned it and if so did I wish to sell it.:confused He played it fairly tight lipped about his reasons but would only say that they get calls from time to time for clean low mile cars.:skep

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Of course this will only matter to our grandchildren and beyond, but mileage will be insignificant at some point. Look at the older cars coming up at BJ and Mecums --no one cares that they have 40K miles or more.

On another note, I too have gotten 2 or more emails recently from dealers wanting to know if I wanted to sell. Very vague and of course no price range mentioned, but interest must be up I guess.

I think Dave's guess of 3000 is a good one. I know of 3 virtual wrappers owned by folks not here.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Sonic blue was a wrapper car until Gino decided to drive over Manhattan. Seriously, I know sonic blue does not fit into the what is the GT worth category . But as I've been told a million times guys enjoy the car that's what we bought it. And again I thank the forum for enhancing the GT ownership experience. Thank you DBK and happy holidays to everyone.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
Being in the investment business all my life, I, for the life of me, cant understand how anyone would actually think that these cars would be a good investment. When you add up maintenance, storage and insurance costs they never turn out to be good investments at all. Can you make money on a car, yes. But it is rare and with 4000 cars made I highly doubt it. Do the math and assume historical returns with conservative asset classes.

Drive the dam thing and be happy that the car is not depreciating that much. If you want to invest, do it a different way. Just my two cents!!!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
What he said!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
No question that with few exceptions it is rare to make money on a car titled in your name (many folks make a lot selling other folks' cars). I am just curious as to where folks think these cars land pricewise 10 years out.

H

HHGT

A virgin is only worth what a virgin is worth. After only one ride though, she is no longer a virgin and can no longer demand virgin money. I can also tell you that this was the stupidest analogy I've ever made. :willy:willy:willy

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
A virgin is only worth what a virgin is worth. After only one ride though, she is no longer a virgin and can no longer demand virgin money. I can also tell you that this was the stupidest analogy I've ever made. :willy:willy:willy

Some prefer upgraded rides, Whipples, TT, SC/TT and headlights too. :lol

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

there are medical procedures that................ just saying

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I predict that in 2015 PL510*Jeff will have 160,000+ miles on his GT, and that it will be in near-perfect condition! :biggrin

Dick this sounds reasonable to me.

I hope I will be in "near perfect" condiiton in 2015!

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I agree with DBK and David B. They are on the money. Pardon the pun.

I purchased cars not so much based on investment value but really based on two factors or preconditions. First, I bought what I lusted for (I mean car wise of course). Second, I bought what I felt would hold its value relatively well.

I think the FGT has a shot at collector car status in the future (like 30-40 years out) but I don't know for sure. I do know I was right when I bought it in 2007 about it holding its value. It has held its own relatively well even in this economy and it makes me smile just seeing it.

My Cobra. Aluminum continuation series. Purchased 10 years ago. Alway lusted for a Cobra since age 8. The Cobra is where it all started with these cars really. The FGT, Mustangs etc... even the Viper all have Carroll Shelby in common. I see the Shelby Cobra as really the grand daddy to all these cars. I wanted a Shelby Cobra because short of the original 2000 and 3000 series the aluminum Continuation Shelbys were the brass ring in my mind and I wanted my Cobra to "be as it was" so to speak. They were more expensive then the other offerings but I felt they were the ones to buy value wise. I can still get close to what I paid for it since I bought it on the ground floor so to speak. Its value did go up for a while but but has since gone down again. Right now though there are only approximately 250 aluminum bodied Shelby Continuation series Cobras in existence. Problem is you can still buy a new one from SAI with a 9 month to year delivery time table. Even with that long wait for a new one collectability status for existing Continuation Series is just not there. But....if SAI stops making them or SAI goes out of business the value of those that exist will shoot way up. MHO. Again a big "what if". Shelby also I believe just announced a price increase in the aluminum Continuation Cobras. $125K for just the aluminum roller. I guess that would bolster the value of existing Shelby Cobras but who knows.

My GT500KR. Lusted for a KR. Initial prices/dealer greed killed the car, along with market delivery timing and the economy killed the car. I waited and watched and when prices were right (read slightly higher then a new standard GT500) bought one. Picked Red as there were only 212 made in red out of a total production of 1600 (also matched my FGT of course! : ). Probably the last pre-title Shelby Mustang ever. Collectable? Yeah, maybe some day in the future but I bought at a price I felt I couldn't really get hurt on too much.

Bottom line... buy what you love and gets your heart racing just looking at it and if its a car that will likely hold its value its just a bonus and a wise purchase too boot. If it goes on to attain actual collector car status in your life time thats just a lucky home run.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Being in the investment business all my life, I, for the life of me, cant understand how anyone would actually think that these cars would be a good investment. When you add up maintenance, storage and insurance costs they never turn out to be good investments at all. Can you make money on a car, yes. But it is rare and with 4000 cars made I highly doubt it. Do the math and assume historical returns with conservative asset classes.

Drive the dam thing and be happy that the car is not depreciating that much. If you want to invest, do it a different way. Just my two cents!!!

You are spot on correct !!!
The pleasure of looking at your Gt in your garage is only trumped by getting in and driving it!!
Thats the best investment in enjoyment that I have!!!

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Some old post thoughts of mine on this subject.

What's that car worth? A pretty common question and it's normally answered in terms of replacement value for the same car. If I could buy another car just like mine for $165,000 then my car's worth $165,000. But what if, like a business, you had to sell your car with a 'noncompete' clause. You could not buy another GT for at least 20 years. You could buy a Ferrari or a Lambo or some other competing make, or do something else with the money. You just couldn't buy or own a Ford GT for at least 20 years. What would it take to get you to sell your GT and to give up the GT Forum? This, I believe, is the best measure of value to a GT owner. I know some members might say priceless but that's not really true. Every one of us would sell for 10 million, most for a whole lot less, as we all have our price. My yellow GT has become an important part of my social life, my friends, my family, and even, I'm embarrassed to say, my identity. To sell my car and give up being a GT owner for at least 20 years which is probably the rest of my life, my price would be $750,000. As close as I can figure in this purely academic exercise, the Ford GT is worth that much to me. What say you?

I consider my Ford GT to be an American-made copy of the original British built GT40. Ever since our California Rally II, just before going to sleep at night, my mind often wanders back to those deserted mountain roads in central California. With my veins pumping a 50-50 mix of blood and adrenaline, diving into corners marked with yellow '25 mph' caution signs-- at 125 mph! The constantly shifting G forces fore, aft, and laterally with brake discs glowing red hot, Goodyear Eagles near the limits of adhesion, and the rush of acceleration produced by 550 plus horsepower Ford V-8's as they consume a gallon of premium fuel every 5 miles. GTs ahead of me and GTs behind me providing the most surreal Le Mans visuals set to the soundtrack of my screaming un-baffled Accufab exhaust singing in harmony with those of other Forum members. My then young son Charley both thrilled and horrified by the entire scene as he stood on the imaginary passenger-side break pedal, but said not a word until breaking his silence with, "Oh my gosh dad, these old guys can drive!". And at the end of the day, still on a high, a newfound respect for the ability's of both the cars and their owners. (I've been on road rallies with a few different car owner groups. None of them even came close to displaying the level of skill and balls that I saw that day. GT owners can indeed DRIVE!) For those few hours, every GT40 fan’s childhood fantasy was reality. It is hard to put a price on all of that.

If I were to sell it, I know what a gut wrenching emotional reaction I’d have watching the new owner drive away in my yellow GT. Many months ago I wrote the following post in response to some members debating the investment value of the Ford GT. The thread got around to the subject of how many members sold their Ford GT and then regretted that decision so much that they bought their old car back, or immediately bought another one just like it. Confirming what I have said on more than one occasion about the investment value of this car. There is one nasty little detail that makes the Ford GT absolutely worthless as an investment. The Ford GT is not worth a dime as there is only one way to get somebody to give you a check for it. You have to give them the car!! You have to stand by your open garage door and watch somebody else drive it away, FOR GOOD! But that's not even the end of it. Every morning, when you open the door of your daily driver, you have to look over at the space in your garage where your GT formerly resided. On those rare occasions when you see one on the street, all you can say to whomever you are with is, "I used to have one of those." And then, the final crushing blow…..your departure from the brotherhood. The fortunate 3000 some odd custodians of the greatest car the Ford Motor Company has ever built. The history, the race victories, the build team, and the notation next to your screen name on the best automobile Forum that exists, "GT Owner". My yellow GT is priceless and my yellow GT is worthless. That's my take on it.

Chip