The GT in 2015

H

HHGT

There are approximately 250 Million Automobiles on the road in the USA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_vehicles_in_the_United_States and there are approximately 4000 GTs.

The odds of a GT being on the road at any given moment is less than 0.000016% and that's how special the GT is.:thumbsup:usa

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Of course the whole business of buying a collector car for investment is timing and timing is almost impossible to figure out. I had a pole barn full of Shelbys and Boss 429's back in the mid eighties becuase the cars were something I wanted, not something I had for investment. It was just plain luck for me when the market spiked back in the early nineties and I sold everything at premium prices but like I said it was pure luck. The best way a collector car would be an excellent investment is if you purchased it in 2005 and covered it in American Eagle gold coins. Now there would have been an investment!
P.S. of course a good time to sell a collector car is always right after Barret Jackson! (geeez)

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
If I were to sell it, I know what a gut wrenching emotional reaction I’d have watching the new owner drive away in my yellow GT. Many months ago I wrote the following post in response to some members debating the investment value of the Ford GT. The thread got around to the subject of how many members sold their Ford GT and then regretted that decision so much that they bought their old car back, or immediately bought another one just like it. Confirming what I have said on more than one occasion about the investment value of this car. There is one nasty little detail that makes the Ford GT absolutely worthless as an investment. The Ford GT is not worth a dime as there is only one way to get somebody to give you a check for it. You have to give them the car!! You have to stand by your open garage door and watch somebody else drive it away, FOR GOOD! But that's not even the end of it. Every morning, when you open the door of your daily driver, you have to look over at the space in your garage where your GT formerly resided. On those rare occasions when you see one on the street, all you can say to whomever you are with is, "I used to have one of those." And then, the final crushing blow…..your departure from the brotherhood. The fortunate 3000 some odd custodians of the greatest car the Ford Motor Company has ever built. The history, the race victories, the build team, and the notation next to your screen name on the best automobile Forum that exists, "GT Owner". My yellow GT is priceless and my yellow GT is worthless. That's my take on it.
Chip

I like that !

It's about 13 degrees here in Michigan. I went out, turned on the light in the garage, looked under the car cover and smiled. It's red, it's mine and it's not for sale.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
There are approximately 250 Million Automobiles on the road in the USA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_vehicles_in_the_United_States and there are approximately 4000 GTs.

The odds of a GT being on the road at any given moment is less than 0.000016% and that's how special the GT is.:thumbsup:usa

Here's a reference point. http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-autos-buick-gnx-20101211,0,403704,full.story

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Cobrar: I think your calculatoins are off. I believe there are approximately 3000 FGTs left stateside.

Re-running the calculation what does the percentage of "chance" of seeing an FGT come out too??? I get a .0000012% chance.

The FGT is more special then we thought!!!! : ))

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
1.) Based on inflation alone, the price will be closer to MSRP (eg, 1-3% X 5)
2.) Believe the GT will be blue chip: depreciation curve has ended, REAL (inflation adjusted) MSRP soon to be passed.
3.) GT has solid chance to be dark blue chip (1-2x) MSRP in 15-20 yrs
4.) Slight chance it might be ultra blue chip (cobra, gullwing, shelby, mclaren); modern racing heritage is a hold back; super car stats a plus.

Like a playmate, if all other women continue getting fat, old, etc...your Playmate will still be a playmate!

Last edited:

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Or....if the greenies and environmental whack jobs get their way with the help of the Messiah now in office and our future "leaders" all cars could end up like the electric bubble cars seen in Woody Allen's classic "The Sleeper". At that point the chances are that our illustrious leaders would have all "internal combustion transport devices" "recycled". But at that point its not all bad assuming we also have the "organsmatron" and the ability to clone people from as small a leftover as a nose in the event of an accident. Got to look at the bright side.

That goes back to my point. Enjoy what you have now and don't worry about future values.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The Orbs in Sleeper will solve all.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Cobrar: I think your calculatons are off. I believe there are approximately 3000 FGTs left stateside.

Re-running the calculation what does the percentage of "chance" of seeing an FGT come out too??? I get a .0000012% chance.

The FGT is more special then we thought!!!! : ))

About 450 of the original 4038 were sold outside the US. Shelby has shipped a bunch of GTs out of the country and a ton more have been totaled or badly damaged. I estimate there are only about 2500 undamaged GTs left in the United States.

Chip

H

HHGT

About 450 of the original 4038 were sold outside the US. Shelby has shipped a bunch of GTs out of the country and a ton more have been totaled or badly damaged. I estimate there are only about 2500 undamaged GTs left in the United States.

Chip

Okay then its at 0.00001%

H

HHGT

Cool article. I've always liked the GNX body style.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
At least 50 Salvage GTs have been rebuilt & sold

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
My 2 cents:

The older these cars get the closer the price to mileage gap will be. Once a car ages to a point, with fixed quantity, then the difference between a "virgin" and a 20k mile (but perfect) car will close to a minimum, possibly 10% difference. Point being - virgin, cars will be less mechanically sound than lightly driven cars (lack of use destroys cars - rusty internals, rotted seals, etc.). Now if you plan to keep the car a virgin and put it in a showroom/museum then the value to that buyer will be more than a buyer who wants to collect the car and enjoy/drive it on occasion. Even in today's economy. Look at the prices of Hemi anythings in basket case form - look at the value/price of them in virgin form. Now look at the cost to get the basket case to virgin form because nobody buys a basket case to collect.

The virgin cars will always retain and produce more value at sale - but how much?. All the other cars as they age will grow in value that is closer and closer to the virgin car price/value as the supply diminishes. There is a point of diminishing returns. Basically a virgin GT is $225k - a 10k mile GT is $135k-145k. An $80k+ difference. Move that out 15+ years - the gap will close considerably to within 10-15% difference - NOT 65%+. If I had a virgin right now that I bought for ~$175k and could sell it for ~$225k right now I would. This will be the greatest difference between the virgin & used values (possibly for another 3-5 years). Unfortunately the GT is simply NOT RARE, yet. You can still shop by color, mileage & even mods. Once the GT becomes a car that if you want one you take the color available and just be happy to have one and have one that most likely will require some level of restoration - this is when the gap closes between the Virgin car and the others and the fact that it really doesn't matter anymore. 30 yr old virgin GT - more value? maybe, just don't start it or your blow the engine and it will start leaking out every seal - then you'll have to "restore" the virgin with parts from the guy who bought all the wrecked ones because there are no OEM/NOS parts remaining. If that makes any since...

Depending on your frame of reference and your ability to store cars - the best investment might be to buy up all the totaled & wrecked GTs and wait 10-15 years. Then you will be at least doubling your money without having to do anything. It's like a Generation 1 Viper right now - they are appreciating slightly as a complete car but the parts value is worth more than the whole car. The Gen 1 Viper is at the mid-point of the cycle. In another 10 years they will be "rare" and worth more than the Gen3 Vipers. Because at the 20-30 year mark buyers cease to base their purchase on vehicle performance and base it on different values (rarity, history, condition, emotions, etc.). These are the true price drivers - let's face it. The Heritage GTs are worth more because of paint - history.

But what do I know - I'm just playing the game (collecting). Win or lose financially - you can't drive/enjoy your portfolio.... Sorry for the novel.

Last edited: