Sure they got alot right, but...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
This may sound odd, but I have never enjoyed a car that didn't require some remedial work and didn't "need me". My car has some factory paint issues with the hood and center console, and I had to replace the airbag assembly because the medallion was pitting, but these "problems" have not diminished my enjoyment of the car one iota. Life is too short to agonize over matters of no real consequence. And I don't give a crap how my silverware is stored in the drawer. My three children broke me of the "everything must be perfect" mentality a long time ago.

Its not odd at all, except for the silverware in the drawer thingy:) the key word in your statement is "children" I dont have any, Im sure they would break that out of me as well:cheers

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Wow - that sure got hings stirred up. I didn't intend this to be a GT bashing thread. Getting my car was a 40 year dream come true, and I treat it almost with reverence. My car is completely unmodified - and I realize that every "shortcoming" I whined about could be changed out with aftermarket fixes, but I enjoy the factory-original approach. Maybe I should have started the thread instead with " Imagine if the team had the time and money to make functional brake scoops, use tubular headers, and put a trans cooler on - wouldn't that have been cool! What else would you change or add?" (maybe that would have left off the discussions about cruise control and cup holders, I hope). Along those lines, can anyone answer why the indestructo beam bumper was required on the rear, but the more vulnerable front end didn't even need bumperettes? If the answer is that there is a front bumper, but it's built into the front structure - then that nose must be the most expensive front bumper Ford ever made.

H

HHGT

Don't pay any attention to these guys. Most of them are 70+ yr. old anticipating the next cavity exam.... Welcome to the fold.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Great thread, but I thought Ford did all these things (rear bumper, sub-woofer, muffler, etc) on purpose so we could have stuff to talk about & modify. I would hate to get a car & not tinker with it.

Ed

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Great thread, but I thought Ford did all these things (rear bumper, sub-woofer, muffler, etc) on purpose so we could have stuff to talk about & modify. I would hate to get a car & not tinker with it.

Ed

I'm with you on this Ed. I've dinked with and modified cars since before I could drive, and I'm torn with keeping well enough alone on the GT. Fortunately lack of $$$ makes the decision easier, and I've got another fun car that I don't mind playing with.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
jbyrnes, do you still have the mud guards for sale?

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
I love my GT.
As Shelby stated, it still looks current almost 6 years later. To me it's 60's design (the best era for car design) infused with modern technology, that give you the best of both worlds.
Now, having just returned from the dealer because one of my reverse lamps burned out, and unfortunately discover the rear brake light/reverse light is only sold as one complete unit for $825. The headlights are $1400 each (approximately). And the tach was $500, then $3,000, and finally settled at around $1350. Last month my Fuel gauge went south. About $500.
Then there's the fuel filler neck, but I'm not going to go there.
When you take into account the cost of ownership of other super-cars, you can build a strong case the GT is a steal, and I don't refute that.
I just want a solution to the gauge, and fuel filler neck and problems because to continually replace parts that have intrinsic flaws seems futile.
Hopefully I'm not one of those winers, but there sure have been a lot of gauge failures and when parts get scarce, people are going to be driving with no gauges. That could have dire consequences.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...Now, having just returned from the dealer because one of my reverse lamps burned out, and unfortunately discover the rear brake light/reverse light is only sold as one complete unit for $825....

The reverse lamps are a bulb in the taillight assembly and can be replaced for under $5.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Regarding the rear bumper, I know half the forum has taken theirs off, but I left mine on for a reason. If you end up getting hit from behind or somehow spin out and hit something backwards, that bumper actually does something. It's not going to completely protect your car, but removing it from the frame rails leaves an open path to utterly destroy your rear fascia, clamshell and force your exhaust, headers, transaxle and motor out of position from where they are supposed to be. Once you start squishing what is just inside the fascia, it's shifting everything in there. Not that I think it would have saved the car, but this was vividly illustrated on a recently destroyed GT.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Yes, the reverse light is a normal light bulb in the middle of the taillight. If you replaced the entire light, you wasted A LOT of money. As Ralphie said, could be done for under ten bucks

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Rear bumper Q & A's:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/studies/bumper/index.html

Gotta disagree DBK. Unless you are going 2.5 mph or less your bumper might as well be tissue paper. The frame horns that connect the bumper to the space frame are only 3mm thick 6063 Aluminum tubes (80mm x 160mm) which, I assume, were designed only to meet the minimum legal criteria. I'm guessing it wouldn't be there at all if there weren't a law – a law meant to reduce repair costs in parking lot fender benders, not going backwards into a tirewall on a racetrack.

You would probably save money in a crash by not having it on, because then it wouldn’t have to be replaced.:rofl

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'm just repeating what Camilo and one other guy at SVT told me. As soon as they saw the pictures of the crash they both said the bumper would have at least made some difference in preventing everything from getting shoved towards the cabin.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As soon as they saw the pictures

Let's see the pictures!!!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Rear diffuser is Carbon-fibre...quite expensive; u want the front cheap....so its disposable!

Rear OEM diffuser is El Cheapo fiberglass..... well, OK, it IS "merely" fiberglass but it ain't cheap.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
2) What is the purpose of bumpers?

The car bumper is designed to prevent or reduce physical damage to the front and rear ends of passenger motor vehicles in low-speed collisions. Automobile bumpers are not typically designed to be structural components that would significantly contribute to vehicle crashworthiness or occupant protection during front or rear collisions. It is not a safety feature intended to prevent or mitigate injury severity to occupants in the passenger cars. Bumpers are designed to protect the hood, trunk, grille, fuel, exhaust and cooling system as well as safety related equipment such as parking lights, headlamps and taillights in low speed collisions.

3) What are the Federal regulations for bumpers?

49 CFR Part 581, "The bumper standard," prescribes performance requirements for passenger cars in low-speed front and rear collisions. It applies to front and rear bumpers on passenger cars to prevent the damage to the car body and safety related equipment at barrier impact speeds of 2� mph across the full width and 1� mph on the corners.This is equivalent to a 5 mph crash into a parked vehicle of the same weight. The standard requires protection in the region 16 to 20 inches above the road surface, and the manufacturer can provide the protection by any means it wants. For example, some vehicles do not have a solid bumper across the vehicle, but meet the standard by strategically placed bumper guards and corner guards.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Regarding the rear bumper, I know half the forum has taken theirs off, but I left mine on for a reason. If you end up getting hit from behind or somehow spin out and hit something backwards, that bumper actually does something. It's not going to completely protect your car, but removing it from the frame rails leaves an open path to utterly destroy your rear fascia, clamshell and force your exhaust, headers, transaxle and motor out of position from where they are supposed to be. Once you start squishing what is just inside the fascia, it's shifting everything in there. Not that I think it would have saved the car, but this was vividly illustrated on a recently destroyed GT.

Don't know if this has come up to R.B.Deleter's, or anyone else for that matter. Let's say - a bit of damage upstream in a "minor" accident. Ins. Co. says you "removed a federally required safety device" and we wll only pay up to the amount that would have been caused had the bumper been left on.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Don't know if this has come up to R.B.Deleter's, or anyone else for that matter. Let's say - a bit of damage upstream in a "minor" accident. Ins. Co. says you "removed a federally required safety device" and we wll only pay up to the amount that would have been caused had the bumper been left on.

Interesting point. The bumper standard was largely the handiwork of the insurance institute to reduce the amount of collision repairs. Biomechanical experts will say that having MORE crush damage and deformity at the vehicle's ends (with no intrusion into the passenger compartment) will decrease the amount of energy transmitted to the occupants, thus decreasing the chance of injury. Common sense really. Nevertheless, I agree with DBK on this one. A minor impact to the rear without the bumper can turn into mucho $$$$. Having said that, I love the look of the bumper-less GTs.

H

HHGT

Was this the GT destroyed in CA near the capital about a month ago? My brother in law lives up that way and he told me that a blue GT attempted to become an airplane and achieved lift-off.... From his description (waiting on pictures to be emailed) there was no rear end left on the car.

H

HHGT

That liability could be extended to dealers knowingly selling modified vehicles such as a bumper delete. Of course if a liability waiver was signed between the buyer/seller stating lawyer mumbo jumbo, then the selling dealer (or perhaps a private party) will then be absolved of any wrong doing.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
The only thing that has ever pissed me off about my car are the panels on the inside of the doors that are glued on and fall off.