Sure they got alot right, but...

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
Reminds me of the guy at Rally II that wanted to have an argument with the engineers about not putting bigger brakes on the car...I was laughing with Mark M. as he explained to me that bigger brakes didn't stop the car any faster they just made more rotating mass and actually added weight to the car...

Opinions are like #$@@#$@ ... everyone has one.

This car is staying with me until one of my kids gets it and I'm long gone. I look at whats out there for the price and what you get..I've never had a car hold its value like this and really if I get anything else its going to come down to a second GT or something I might not have fun with...thats why I got rid of my GT500...every time I drove it I just compared it to how the GT felt..and it was no fun to drive.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
My dislikes are that ridiculous sub-woofer (and its placement, not to mention cost) and of course our mysterious gauge issues.

mardyn

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Reminds me of the guy at Rally II that wanted to have an argument with the engineers about not putting bigger brakes on the car...I was laughing with Mark M. as he explained to me that bigger brakes didn't stop the car any faster they just made more rotating mass and actually added weight to the car...

Opinions are like #$@@#$@ ... everyone has one.

This car is staying with me until one of my kids gets it and I'm long gone. I look at whats out there for the price and what you get..I've never had a car hold its value like this and really if I get anything else its going to come down to a second GT or something I might not have fun with...thats why I got rid of my GT500...every time I drove it I just compared it to how the GT felt..and it was no fun to drive.

+1 on everything except I wouldnt sell my boss302 its still fun in its own way. btw the guys and the brake question was rally III in vegas, I still laugh at what happened afterwords, I think some random guy yelled out "sell it if you dont like it":lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The GT was given about 18 months to go from drawing board to driveway. Given that short time frame, just the fact the GTs have as FEW issues as they do is nothing short of a miracle.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Buy and F-car or a lambo, drive it hard for a year and after the inevitable high dollar maintenance/repair bills let me know what you think of your GT then. :cheers

Assactly!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is immensely satisfied and impressed by the overall execution of the GT project, but at the same time feeling that a few short cuts or concessions (all for justifiable reasons I'm sure - $$$ or meeting production schedules) were taken that shouldn't have been for a car of this calibur. Here's my short list of faults, at the risk of sounding whiney:
>non-functional air intakes for front brakes (c'mon - no 200 mph car should have fake scoops).
>cast exhaust manifolds and a 40lb muffler (I see how the retro bundle-of-snakes may not have worked with cats and mufflers, but the aftermarket has shown that headers can coexist with cats on the street).
>trans oil cooler - aftermarket add on?? This had to be the result of the bean counters facing off against the designers.
>and then there's lesser one's like the tilt front end that morphed into the "tilt" trunk lid, and the rear bumper that shouldn't have been.
Did I miss any? Am I wrong (or just whiney)?

The brake ducts were going to functional .Tom Reichenbach (chief engineer) went on vacation .He states when he came back they had put the AC stuff in the right front corner .So they had to can it due to time constraints .You can however make them functional . see this post http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?14885-GT-brake-ducts&highlight=brake+ducts.That is actually my car in the pic.
The exhaust is an overweight, to quiet slug in my opinion .There are many options for that issue.
Trans oil cooler was cost related .But if you notice there are the mounts for it and can be added easily for 800.bucks.
The trunk is what it is.Better than nothing....
The rear bumper was not be .
You can get a bumper delete package which looks awesome!

Use the search button It will become your favorite keys
you might like this post too..
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?19880-For-the-newbies&highlight=for+newbies

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Quote per PL510Jeff: "And that the $150k Ford GT should be as perfect as a $1.3million Bugatti"

Who said any car was perfect? I'm sure a Bugatti has many things I ( and others) wouldn't care for ($25K tires for one:bs ...still wondering if you COULD mount other tires on the rims...screw speed rated). Nothing is perfect. This is just a sounding board of our individual takes on the GT and wondering "why" about a few items. Still can't figure out why they never asked me during production.:confused:biggrin I wouldn't have 4 if I disliked the car. Low maintenance and resale are huge positive factors to me:thumbsup.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'm a newbie so don't take me too seriously, but my "biggest complaint" is the distance from the steering wheel to the turn signal stalk, the stalk is too far forward. Doesn't bother those of you who don't use theirs!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Being a person that deals with cars of this magnitude and calibre on a daily basis, I can tell you that this is the BEST car for the money..... PERIOD!!! As for cruise control, 95% of super / sports cars over $150k do NOT have cruise control. It is not important to 90% of the potential buyers, so why add weight and expense to satisfy the other 10%? I have never put the car in reverse thinking it was 1st. There is a very prominent hump you have to get over to get into reverse. I can see how it may be a little tricky the first time or two, but once you understand the gear box and shifter, I think the car shifts in all gears, including reverse, very smoothly (Oh, unless its cold and you try to go into second :biggrin ). I love the cheap front spoiler. Its simply that, cheap, and cheap to replace. One of this biggest problems I deal with in the exotic car business is all these cars being scratched under the front bumper, etc, from regular use. Good thing about the GT, I can put a new one on for less than $200. No paint required. Take any Ferrari, Lambo, Mercedes, etc and when the front gets scraped, you have to have repaired, repainted, etc..... TOTAL PAIN IN THE ASS! Cup holders? Here we are again at things that are not typically in "supercars". On my showroom, my 2009 lambo Lp640, NO CUP HOLDER........... my 2005 Porsche Carrera GT, NO CUP HOLDER.....my 2007 Ferrari 430 Spider, NO CUP HOLDER...... my 2008 Bugatti Veyron ($1 million plus NEW), NO CUP HOLDERS. Also, NOT one of the cars I just mentioned have cruise control. These simply are not options that the MASS of the buyers are looking for in a super fast, super car. As for body panels and fitment, there were some issues with early production. These cars were hand built, not by computers, and some need a little R&R, but 99% of them can be corrected with very little effort.

How bout this......, they got SOOOOOO many thing "RIGHT" that the few thing some will complain about in my opinion are really so minute that its really not worth complaining about. In comparison, these cars are so RIGHT, nothing else comes close. How many $150k+ cars can you own and spend less than $1k a year on service? How many $150k+ cars are on the market that you wont lose $20k a year on in depreciation? How many cars of any price range still look "CURRENT" after they are 6 years old? I could go on and on. It like complaining that your supermodel girl friend has 1 toe that is not perfectly straight. WHO CARES??? Are they PERFECT? No, but show me one thing that is......

We are all fortunate to own these cars. They were one of the biggest gifts from ford EVER in my opinion..... :thumbsup

Last edited:

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
As for cruise control... NO CUP HOLDER...
The fact that it even has A/C and a radio is borderline silly IMO. Neither is rarely used in mine... There are many other classes of automobiles one can obtain if they are looking for such amenities.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
2008 Bugatti Veyron ($1 million plus NEW), NO CUP HOLDERS. NOT one of the cars I just mentioned have cruise control.

NO CRUISE CONTROL!!! Well that does it for The Veyron, Take it off my list!!! LOL

Larry

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
...still wondering if you COULD mount other tires on the rims...screw speed rated)

I thought I heard that Jeremy Clarkson said that the inside and outside of the wheel were different sizes?? If true, that might exclude other tires. When they were going on about the 'safety' of running top speed ("the gas runs out just before the tires end their useful life or something like that" - LOL.) Doesn't seem likely though if it's got Michelin PAX tires. I suppose you could always buy some aftermarket wheels for it.......

But as for my Ford GT, sure, I think they got it right, no excuses for time etc. It's a fantastic car. Doesn't mean I wouldn't change anything on my GT (my list of minor [cosmetic] or major [power and suspension] mods is pretty extensive, and yet still shorter than many on here, Shelby's latest beast being the epitome of such mods). If there was not a thing I could change on my car, I'd still absolutely love it. The fact that I can personalize it to me just makes it that much more special.

PS - if you're listing gripes, I wouldn't have cared if the windows were just pop-outs or hand cranks, but since it already has power windows, it would've been nice to have 'one touch' ones, to let me get my hand back to the wheel quicker....just sayin' :lol

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I cant believe you guys are complaining about cup holders, and single touch window switches!!!! grow up!:lol

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
+1 on everything except I wouldnt sell my boss302 its still fun in its own way. btw the guys and the brake question was rally III in vegas, I still laugh at what happened afterwords, I think some random guy yelled out "sell it if you dont like it":lol

Ahh crap owned by SOROUSH!!! Ok drink on me at the mile :)

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
This may sound odd, but I have never enjoyed a car that didn't require some remedial work and didn't "need me". My car has some factory paint issues with the hood and center console, and I had to replace the airbag assembly because the medallion was pitting, but these "problems" have not diminished my enjoyment of the car one iota. Life is too short to agonize over matters of no real consequence. And I don't give a crap how my silverware is stored in the drawer. My three children broke me of the "everything must be perfect" mentality a long time ago.

RV King

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2007
Laguna Beach, CA
My three children broke me of the "everything must be perfect" mentality a long time ago.

My wife broke me of mine! :lol

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
This may sound odd, but I have never enjoyed a car that didn't require some remedial work and didn't "need me".

Exactly. Ford even provided a bunch of goodies to swap onto the car for us. I have never own a un-modified (improved) car, boat or motorcycle. That is half the thrill of having it in the first place.

On a side note, This is my first and only car that came with beautiful factory wheels that were wide enough. Nothing worse than 4 corners of Avon Lady wheels and tires on a performance vehicle.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
I love the car as is. It is what it is, and makes me smile every time I hit the Red button.....

What he said :thumbsup

clements

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
i put mine to bed 4 weeks ago and i already miss her !!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Ahh crap owned by SOROUSH!!! Ok drink on me at the mile :)

:cheers