Owner Review: Ford GT vs. F430 (Long, with Photos)

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
OK, so I remember when you sold off your first GT and then bought another one. Do you think you would do the same with the 430 (and I'm not proposing upgrade to a 599 or anything else)?

I have got my fingers crossed for a 430 Scuderia, which will be out in the late spring. If I get an allocation, I will trade the F430 back to the dealer I bought it from for the Scuderia. That's the way it works in the Ferrari world.:wink

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I Just Feel All Warm and Fuzzy

Thanks for all the kind words. I hope that my review at least serves as future reference for those who may have questions when it comes purchase time, or for those who just love cars in general.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Really enjoyed the comparison. Thanks. I would love to drive a Ferrari.

I would love to own both.

How does the F360 compare to the F430?

I would also like to note that I love the GT interior and how it harkens back to the original in its design and appearance. Very classic and race car like.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
thanks Mitty!

Great thread Mitty. The F430 is truly a great rival to our FGTs! They are both fantastic cars so thanks for the even handed, fair comparison.

Ed

Love the photos too!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
From the archives

Nice write up Walter. How does the F430 compare to the Gallardo for you?

Holy cow DBK, if I start on this, I will by typing all night. :wink So, I'll take the easy way out.

Some time ago, I wrote a comparison after I had driven a friends F430 while he drove my Gallardo...let me minimize and see if I can find it... got it, from Jan. of '06. I might phrase a couple of things different, but overall still rings pretty true. Note how I have changed my tune regarding the F1 Tranny.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90517

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Great thread Mitty. The F430 is truly a great rival to our FGTs! They are both fantastic cars so thanks for the even handed, fair comparison.

Ed

Love the photos too!

Ed, I was sorely tempted to take a close up of the WONDERFUL sticker you sent me and which I have at the base of windshield. However I thought it might be a bit inflammatory at the "other" site.:wink

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Holy cow DBK, if I start on this, I will by typing all night. :wink So, I'll take the easy way out.

You're such a politician :wink Pick a side! No honestly, just kidding, appreciate the comments. Good luck on the Scuderia! That one looks like a real screamer.

wcowell2000

Nov 13, 2007
Thank You

Outstanding break down of the 2 cars. I grew up a Ford brat. My dad did his 30 and so did his brothers. Several others of my family did as well.

I am in commercial real estate and am coming into a commission that will allow me to buy whatever I want. You have sold me on the GT.

I would love to find a new one at a dealer, but the posts I have read indicated that those who still have them won't give them up.

I worked for Ford for Six years in FCSD. My dream was to own a 67 Shelby GT, but after seeing these GT's I do not know how I could pass one up.

On a couple of fun notes, I left Ford for DaimlerChrysler for a year before moving to Florida. I worked in service contract sales. I got a call one day from a dealer that had the third Viper ever built. It had been on their showroom floor for 8 years. A customer came in and offered them $100K over sticker.

The dealer wanted to know if they could put a service contract on it. As it was still considered new by Chrysler and untitled, so we allowed it. The guy bought a 7 year esp. The car, if my math is right, just went out of warranty a few months ago. haha

Also, I had a bunch of German engineers come over that I had to babysit. They were nice enough guys and we drank allot. One night I asked them how to say DaimlerChrysler in German. One of them looked at me and said "Daimler", the "Chrysler" is silent. No love lost their!!

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
A really enjoyable and interesting review - thanks for taking the time to write that up and photograph the cars.

What makes the review unique is that you own both cars and are, to a large extent, unbiased - not the journo looking through the sweetie shop window, but an owner. That adds a huge amount for me.

I've not driven a 430, but have no difficulty accepting that the Ferrari handles better - I think the Ford is a superb compromise between a GT and a racer, Ferrari seem to manage this compromise better somehow. But I'd be interested in your view - if you had to travel 1500 miles in one car (with no luggage!), which would it be?

I was also interested in the 'event' nature of going for a drive (comparing the Camry to the Ferrari) - the sense of occasion. I thought the part about the GT being vaguely similar to other American sports cars.... We don't have that over here in Europe. Firstly there are no American sports cars - there's the odd Viper, but they don't measure up really against Lambo's, Ferrari's etc, then there's the FGT which is completely unique. There are many Ferrari's here, very few Ford GT's - so the sense of ocassion is greater here (I propose!) than a Ferrari. I think. Yup, I'll stick to that! :biggrin

Very interesting review - most enjoyable.

Neil

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
A really enjoyable and interesting review - thanks for taking the time to write that up and photograph the cars.

What makes the review unique is that you own both cars and are, to a large extent, unbiased - not the journo looking through the sweetie shop window, but an owner. That adds a huge amount for me.

I've not driven a 430, but have no difficulty accepting that the Ferrari handles better - I think the Ford is a superb compromise between a GT and a racer, Ferrari seem to manage this compromise better somehow. But I'd be interested in your view - if you had to travel 1500 miles in one car (with no luggage!), which would it be?

I was also interested in the 'event' nature of going for a drive (comparing the Camry to the Ferrari) - the sense of occasion. I thought the part about the GT being vaguely similar to other American sports cars.... We don't have that over here in Europe. Firstly there are no American sports cars - there's the odd Viper, but they don't measure up really against Lambo's, Ferrari's etc, then there's the FGT which is completely unique. There are many Ferrari's here, very few Ford GT's - so the sense of ocassion is greater here (I propose!) than a Ferrari. I think. Yup, I'll stick to that! :biggrin

Very interesting review - most enjoyable.

Neil

Neil, excellent point about the sense of occasion. I was reflecting upon this very subject yesterday while I was driving the GT, and it occured to me that if I lived in Europe, (especially Italy:wink) I would have an opposite opinion regarding the impact of driving a GT. Can you imagine a GT howling down the fast lane of the Autostrada? Sure would be different than a Panda.

In answer to your question regarding the 1500 mile trip: no doubt and no hestitation: the GT. Why? It's so stable and tracks like it's on rails. It's also got long legs, gearing wise. The F430 is frenetic (RPMs) at 80 mph, and the drone at a constant speed over a long distance would get old.

That's a category where the GT shines! It really is a great long hauler, as long as you don't mind wearing the same clothes for the entire trip and stopping for gas more often than in your average Prius. :)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The F430 is frenetic (RPMs) at 80 mph, and the drone at a constant speed over a long distance would get old.
. :)

This drone is the main reason I cant buy a new ferrari. Dont remember this sound from 60s or even 80s 308 ferraris. More of a growl bellow i think.

Heard it for first time in Monaco, and though it was hopped up/tune up.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
wow...what a review.....excellent.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Congratulations Walter and thank you for the comprehensive review with the 430, which is a car of great interest to many non-F-car-owners such as me. I saw White Petunia's 430 (same color) at a local car show and it was absolutely stunning in person. You paid the price of admission to the F Club by purchasing a Ferrari that wasn't your 1st choice in the hopes of later buying the one you really want, and when you get the Scuderia, it will have been worth the process. If you're in the F Club it's a great place to be, but IMO one unsuccessful experience of trying to buy the Ferrari of first choice will last a lifetime. Another reason the 430 is "safer" is that most 430 owners spend their time looking at them rather than driving them. :cheers

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Walter, Take him up on the job just think of all the money saved in buying them verses test driving them.

Also were you suprised as I was to find out the console is magnesium?

I am amazed they were able to get a such a good finsih it fooled many people...until the GT guys put in my new short shifter and I saw the underside I was still the typical doubting Thomas.

Great review as everone enjoyed it much.

Great write-up Mr. Mitty.

Two points:

1. The center console in the GT is not plastic, it's magnesium. Lots of people assume it's plastic, so it's a natural mistake. I know several dealers said, "Why did you put a plastic console in a $150,000 car?" when it was first shown to them.

2. I don't own an F430, but I've driven them extensively (including on the Fiorano track) and your description is right-on regarding the driving characteristics between the two cars. If you ever consider a job in automotive journalism give me call (but let me warn you up front -- the pay sucks :wink).

Last edited:

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I had no idea it was magnesium...And I'm usually up on such things...:frown

ROCK

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2006
Miami
Exellent review.
I was about to trade in my FGT for a preowned F430 same as yours (6k miles @ 210k w/a 145k trade) but somebody else gave them a check for it.
I think both cars are on par with the advantange on the GT for growing old grecefully and without future model changes.

Midengine-man

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
Fantastic Comparison! Much more objective than any magazine article. Thank you. When I was in the market, I knew I would go for the GT, but I did test drive a 360 first. I've always liked Ferraris and could not see buying my first midengine without experiencing a Ferrari. The Ferrari interiors scream quality with all that stitched leather. (The 360 silver console looks lame to me though). But I have to say, when I first sat in a GT, and I closed that door over my head, I felt that I was in a cockpit. Then I flicked the instrument toggle and all those gauges lit up, that was it! I was in a Landjet. It's so much more serious. It's not a party car, It's a Racecar!!..Inside and Out. As much as I like the european styling and interiors, the GT is a whole other world!! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:cheers

06 #1118

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I had no idea it was magnesium...And I'm usually up on such things...:frown

I believe it's 'AM60 Magnesium Alloy...'

Not quite a precious metal, but I'm reliably informed that there was a discussion to give it a hallmark (not sure if the US uses the same description, I mean like an assay mark on a gold ring for example) somewhere on the center console.

However, they didn't of course, and some now think it's plastic! :wink

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Walter,
I read your same reivew on Ferrarichat.com (my screenname there is Yellow355) and even though a couple of Ferrarichat memebers didn't like the GT, the vast majority has great respect for the car.
If and when you get the Scud, what do I have to do to get a ride in it???

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Walter,
I read your same reivew on Ferrarichat.com (my screenname there is Yellow355) and even though a couple of Ferrarichat memebers didn't like the GT, the vast majority has great respect for the car.
If and when you get the Scud, what do I have to do to get a ride in it???

Simply come to Arizona and I'll show you some of the best roads in the world. It's a open invitation. In fact, if I get a Scuderia, I'LL buy dinner in celebration. :thumbsup