Owner Review: Ford GT vs. F430 (Long, with Photos)

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Great review Walter. I also first saw this on ferrarichat.com and agree with the fact that most Ferrari owners like and respect the car. My favorite track events are with our local NC Ferrari Club. I look forward to hearing about the Scuderia...I have started to lust a little...forgive me father for I have sinned!:frown

rsvdhd

Permanent Vacation
Oct 6, 2007
It's a very accurate review. Ford GT is menacing though, and in black even more so. I am disappointed in the keyfob too, so disappointed that I almost got banned on this forum for expressing my displeasure with it :)

I am on the list for a Ferrari F430 Scuderia in red. ..but no way will I sell my GT, no chance!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
It's a very accurate review. Ford GT is menacing though, and in black even more so. I am disappointed in the keyfob too, so disappointed that I almost got banned on this forum for expressing my displeasure with it :)

I am on the list for a Ferrari F430 Scuderia in red. ..but no way will I sell my GT, no chance!

Are you an owner? Have you listed your car on the registry? Please advise. I will be happy to change your status.

I don't recall your post, however it is not what someone says, but how they say it. This is an owner's forum, not a fan of Ford Gt's forum. A lot of work goes into moderating this place, your remark was hurtful to say the very least. If you like this forum you might consider taking out a supporting membership... just like on FCHAT.:wink

rsvdhd

Permanent Vacation
Oct 6, 2007
I am an owner, I will go on the registry ...

It was the way I said it - I tend to be a bit blunt sometimes, but not meant to be a jerk :)

As far as a supporting membership goes, PM me.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I am an owner, I will go on the registry ...

It was the way I said it - I tend to be a bit blunt sometimes, but not meant to be a jerk :)

As far as a supporting membership goes, PM me.

Your status has been changed to owner.
If you wish to be a supporter click on the 'USER CP" above, it will take you to the control pannel. Then follow the instructions to become a subscribing member. Thanks.

PHXGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
Great comparison, Mitty. When are you coming back to Phoenix to visit?

I sold my F1 F430 when I got the GT. The biggest difference in my opinion is the pure engineering of the cars. The F car needs 3 computer systems (E-diff., traction control and stability control) to keep the driver alive at the limit. The GT needs none of these. In my opinion, this suggests that the GT was engineered so purely that its, suspension, balance, power plant and brakes are near perfect.

When driving my F430, I always thought it just felt twitchy. The GT just feels planted.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
When driving my F430, I always thought it just felt twitchy. The GT just feels planted.

Another very good description.

I have always wondered if they made it for M. Schumacher who has a reported resting heart rate of 46. It probably doesn't feel "twitchy" or "nervous" to him.....

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Great comparison, Mitty. When are you coming back to Phoenix to visit?

I hope soon! You have such a nice place and it was a pleasure to be with all the guys. I was over at Larry's awhile back when the GT Guys were doing work there -- I had half shaft bolts and short shift installed.

Your point about the GT feeling planted is spot on. It's one of the things I like most about the GT. Solid, rigid, and tracks like a freight train at high speed. The F430 is a live wire. Itsa that Italian thing, I guess. :)

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California
Since the ferrari "door" has been opened.....a friend recommended a National Geographic special "Ultimate Factories" which details the production and assembly process at Ferrari. Haven't seen it myself, but may be worth a look.

Details: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/ET/popup/200711292000.html

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Truely a drivers review! I think I may print that one and put it in my GT folder

*sigh* When I get another GT....sometimes traction control doesn't suck.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
excellent review..... kayvan--three headed dog guarding the gates of hell.........WOW yeh! one area of comparison may have been missing, that of audience reaction. I have always loved the gt myself, but I had not realized how many others felt the same way, until I became a driver/owner. Everybody (almost) loves this car. The Ferrarri seems to have a higher percentage of snob factor operators with subsequent resentment from a percentage of the audience . Don't know if it's due to Ford's home ground, everyman's roots, the down to earth nature of most GT owners, or just that the GT crosses the border into a dimension of art that appeals to even non-car people. Anyone else noticed the amount of positive thumbs up reaction out there?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
excellent review..... kayvan--three headed dog guarding the gates of hell.........WOW yeh! one area of comparison may have been missing, that of audience reaction. I have always loved the gt myself, but I had not realized how many others felt the same way, until I became a driver/owner. Everybody (almost) loves this car. The Ferrarri seems to have a higher percentage of snob factor operators with subsequent resentment from a percentage of the audience . Don't know if it's due to Ford's home ground, everyman's roots, the down to earth nature of most GT owners, or just that the GT crosses the border into a dimension of art that appeals to even non-car people. Anyone else noticed the amount of positive thumbs up reaction out there?

In a word - yes. And I've often used the analogy of Custer at the Little Big Horn to describe the situation when the car's parked.

On a thread somewhere here on The 'Forum, I think I mentioned it once took me 7 mins to walk the 40 feet from where I had parked my GT to the entrance of a local restaurant due to stopping 3 times to answer questions about the car.

99.9999999% of the people who see the car react positively to it. (I noticed that the one person I personally ran into who did not had a curious green tint to his complexion. Odd. Maybe 'twas due to his steak tartare?)

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Test drove a 430 today

Although one test drive cannot be considered the equivalent of ownership, where you can fully test the car in a variety of conditions, one can learn quite a bit if you are allowed to adequately test drive it. When I first bought the GT, I compared it with a Gallardo, 360, and a ZO6. I was completely blown away by our car...the easy clutch and shifter relative to the amount of torque, both the unique interior and exterior styling, the speed and balance, etc...However, at that time, the price of a 430 was IMHO way too high. Now that the price for a coupe has crept down into the original MSRP range, I could not resist the opportunity.

First, as others have said, the 430 is much more refined and confidence-inspiring than its predecessor, the 360. The cockpit is roomy, and visibility and storage space (trunk is tremendous) are the best I have ever seen for a midengine car. The F1 Transmission is fantastic, much better and smoother than the e-gear in the Lambo. I would say that the DSG transmission I drove in an Audi TT was as good. If you take the 430 above 5000 rpm it is wickedly fast, but it also has considerably more torque than the 360 at the lower rpms. Outstanding brakes (not carbon ceramic) and turn-in.

For me, I cannot afford to own both the Ford GT and 430. So, I would have to choose one. Once I stepped back into my GT, I was in heaven once again. The GT is so unique. I love those toggle switches. Yes, it has big obstructive A-pillars and the visibility is not as good, but since I am now accustomed to it, I don't think about it much. No storage space to speak off...but honestly, how many people woud go with either the GT or 430 to a B&B or hotel? Even though you can get a F430 coupe for a little over 200K (the one I looked at could be had for 210K), I still think the GT is a better car and a far better bargain. And with my new Accufab exhaust, I believe it sounds better than the stock F430.

So, in summary, except for the GT, F430 is the best car I have ever driven and definitely the best all-around midengine car...for doing most everything including potentially being a daily driver or going on short weekend trips with the wife. But having a daily driver and a Honda S2000 for the convertible needs, I'll stick with my Ford GT.:thumbsup

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
For me, I cannot afford to own both the Ford GT and 430. So, I would have to choose one. Once I stepped back into my GT, I was in heaven once again. The GT is so unique. I love those toggle switches. Yes, it has big obstructive A-pillars and the visibility is not as good, but since I am now accustomed to it, I don't think about it much. No storage space to speak off...but honestly, how many people woud go with either the GT or 430 to a B&B or hotel? Even though you can get a F430 coupe for a little over 200K (the one I looked at could be had for 210K), I still think the GT is a better car and a far better bargain. And with my new Accufab exhaust, I believe it sounds better than the stock F430.

So, in summary, except for the GT, F430 is the best car I have ever driven and definitely the best all-around midengine car...for doing most everything including potentially being a daily driver or going on short weekend trips with the wife. But having a daily driver and a Honda S2000 for the convertible needs, I'll stick with my Ford GT.:thumbsup

Well stated and I agree with your observations. While I love the F430, I will tell you without a doubt that if I could only have one, it would be...THE GT. :thumbsup.

The more I drive the GT in the context of the other exotics I have owned, the more convinced I am that it is a truly unique and amazing achievement for Ford. It is THE ONE.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks W. Mitty. If I could afford both, I'd get the 430. It really is a very well sorted car and seems to do just about everything well.

JOEA2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 16, 2007
STATEN ISLAND,NY/SEA GIRT,NJ
"No storage space to speak off...but honestly, how many people woud go with either the GT or 430 to a B&B or hotel?"
Frankly, we do that all the time with the F430 and the DB9. I only wish we could do it with the GT!
The only complaint I have with the GT.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
Well stated and I agree with your observations. While I love the F430, I will tell you without a doubt that if I could only have one, it would be...THE GT. :thumbsup.

The more I drive the GT in the context of the other exotics I have owned, the more convinced I am that it is a truly unique and amazing achievement for Ford. It is THE ONE.

Nice write up in your original post. I was able to drive my manual 6 speed 430 spider this week on the track. Much better stock tires to stock tires in comparison. I only disagree with you on the GT understeering on the track?? Mine oversteers ....I put bigger tires in the rear to try to bring it to nuetral, then I had understeer....could only find neutrality with the Hoosiers.....I no longer track the GT and have left the HRE's with 345's on the rear for the more aggressive look. I have Hoosiers mounted on the factory BBS wheels if anyone wants them...I would want to swap back the BBS wheels so I have them ...IF... I ever sell the car. I was 10 when they made the GT40 and was in love!! I doubt I would sell it...The 430 is a fine auto, much more refined...having said that...the raw, unrefined nature is part of what we love about the GT....

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
This bump back on made me read the original post again - which is a very good insight into both cars.

I'm selling my Bentley convertible at the moment as I never drive the thing and was looking at the 430 Spyder and felt seriously tempted. There is a beauty to Ferrari that is impossible to deny but I've always tried to have different cars in my stable rather than cars that are too close.

Tempting though!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
When I switched to 19's and 20's, the Penske adjustables, and the Alex designed alignment specs the car went from understearing to neutral and now it is easy in induce overstear.
Have you contacted Alex? He is the expert, helped set up the FGT.

AlohaGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 13, 2007
Honolulu, HI
The entire Ferrari line will feature carbon ceramic material (CCM) discs in 2008 as standard issue. Very nice.