OEM Goodyear F1 Rear Tires

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Good News! new F1's from Goodyear.

Thanks Jerry and all the others that got this off of dead center.

Now I can go another 85,000 with no more worries about rear tire trade off's.
And if you order within the next 8 weeks - there's an $80.00 rebate as well

JAYGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2010
MIAMI
I agree with the multiple statements, why bother with GY when theres so many superior tires available?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Fingers crossed........

You just never know, there just might be some bright business people at Michelin.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I agree with the multiple statements, why bother with GY when theres so many superior tires available?

There are those of us not interested in tracking or racing - just keeping the GT as stock as possible.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
There are those of us not interested in tracking or racing - just keeping the GT as stock as possible.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the stock size/mfr. I think the taller sidewall on the rears looks better, especially on a stock ride height GT. But the GYs by comparison (IMO) are like going back to bias ply, they are simply outdated. I wish I had a '63 split window coupe, but like these GYs, '63 shoes are only good for the Christmas parade.

While I'm wishing....Hell, I wish they would make the proper size with the obnoxious whitewalls in a modern compound.

Somebody please talk GY into that.:biggrin Sorry for moving this off "dead center"

Attachments

• Ford-GT-Concept-Yellow-Black.jpg
    Ford-GT-Concept-Yellow-Black.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 293

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
One slight negative, the newest rears I could find back in Sept were manufactured in '06.

I bought some from Tirerack last month with a late 2010 build date. shipped in 2 days to my door.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

And for those who just keep asking why stay with OE Goodyear’s.....you just don't get it.

The tires are part of our car's system. Designed, refined (52 different times during development) and qualified by Ford at 205+ mph for sustained periods. Safety factor is high enough for Ford to sign off on their OE production release.

Maybe newer tires available now are better. Maybe not. I do not have any data to prove or disprove applicability.

No other tire (let me repeat for those who keep asking the question again and again) NO other tire has received this level of engineering evaluation and scrutiny of application for our Ford GT.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Indy, you are right but I believe many tradeoffs were made to keep the lawyers ok with the 205 rating. True we don't have a lot of instrumented data on the Bridgestones, for example, but the mileage and usage is accumulating quickly. Included are many mile runs and even some road course and 1/4 mile events. I'm increasingly convinced that the Bridgestone will prove out to be a better tire. Just my opinion.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the stock size/mfr. I think the taller sidewall on the rears looks better, especially on a stock ride height GT. But the GYs by comparison (IMO) are like going back to bias ply, they are simply outdated. I wish I had a '63 split window coupe, but like these GYs, '63 shoes are only good for the Christmas parade.

While I'm wishing....Hell, I wish they would make the proper size with the obnoxious whitewalls in a modern compound.

Somebody please talk GY into that.:biggrin Sorry for moving this off "dead center"

attachment.php

Is that a Photochop, or does GY actually make the right size tire with the white writing on it like that or, is that a different size on that car? That's such a cool look for the GT...real retro - like the car!

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I'm not a GT history expert, but I think that is the concept car introduced at the 2002 Detroit Auto Show. The previous must be a bit more recent since it has "Ford GT" badging vs. "GT40".

Look ma, no bumper:banana

Attachments

• GT concept2.jpg
    GT concept2.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 207
  • GT concept1.jpg
    GT concept1.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 211
  • GT concept3.jpg
    GT concept3.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 212

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Sure, but now 7-8 years ago, and also taking broad compromises, that included snow testing, as well as 205 mph certification. There were a lot of tires tested that were worthy, GY wanted it the most.

Hopefully GY will make the tires for those that want them. I will never buy another set. Hoping for supersports, if not will keep running R6's on the street.

No other tire (let me repeat for those who keep asking the question again and again) NO other tire has received this level of engineering evaluation and scrutiny of application for our Ford GT.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
And for those who just keep asking why stay with OE Goodyear’s.....you just don't get it.

The tires are part of our car's system. Designed, refined (52 different times during development) and qualified by Ford at 205+ mph for sustained periods. Safety factor is high enough for Ford to sign off on their OE production release.

Maybe newer tires available now are better. Maybe not. I do not have any data to prove or disprove applicability.

Right on, Bill!! and they are a great wet tire. In the dry, on lower speed courses (under 130 mph), they perform very well with about 25-27 psi. :thumbsup

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Thanks Ralph. I really try not to be a stick-in-the-mud but the OE Goodyear’s are what was certified on our car with all the production testing to verify compliance to all the design requirements. Yes, this does include legal issues which I am sure Ford remembers the Firestone Wilderness fiasco and they would not want to get anywhere near that legal quagmire again. Especially on a halo car like the GT. Thus I am sure there are huge safety margins built into the OE Goodyear tire application.

Indy, you are right but I believe many tradeoffs were made to keep the lawyers ok with the 205 rating. True we don't have a lot of instrumented data on the Bridgestones, for example, but the mileage and usage is accumulating quickly. Included are many mile runs and even some road course and 1/4 mile events. I'm increasingly convinced that the Bridgestone will prove out to be a better tire. Just my opinion.

And Kendall, as always I respect your technical opinion very much. In principal, I agree with you. And as time goes on more and more owners will be abandoning the GY’s in favor of the latest “hot setup” no doubt. We will get more data on these other combinations as time goes on. I am sure there were a number of technical tradeoffs necessary to arrive at the OE GY, like wet traction, snow, mud, dry pavement wear, noise level, etc. etc. There are always compromises to be made in a given design. And you will have to admit that even though some of us owners with Brigestones have run “the mile”, ¼ mile events or even some road course events, that time-at-temperature/speed would pale in comparison to the testing I am sure Goodyear had to go through to convince Ford this tire was indeed safe for sustained 205 mph on the GT.
There were a lot of tires tested that were worthy, GY wanted it the most.

Specracer, If I interpret your statement and equate your use of “lot of tires tested” to tire companies wanting to supply FGT tires, I do not believe your statement is accurate. Possibly at the initial request for tire proposal stage there may have been a couple tire manufacturers interested, but when the team actually got into the program, I believe there were no more than three tire companies (if that) who wanted the business (or could deliver a supercar tire). And yes GY did want to be the spec tire on our car. The development team put them thru the ringer to get exactly what they wanted for the tire on our car. Believe me, GY did not just pick a tire off their product line and hand it to Fred’s team and say here-you-go.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Bridgestones should be plenty solid for high speed coming from the Enzo. Tire manufacturers are loathe to put a product on a car without a sizable buffer between top speed and speed at which the tire is questionable. Whether or not Ford adheres to the same standards as Ford, you can bet Bridgestone wouldn't put a tire on a car that can go 210+ that isn't tested to at least 225+. I believe the OE Goodyears were tested on the rollers up to 226 mph.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Indy, my comments only stem from the many team member conversations that both of us have had, over so many years. My comment that GY "wanted it" was direct from a team member. no matter either way. At least we all agree that these cars are amazing, however, we can disagree, on what shoes to put on them, and use our wallets to "vote" for what we think is best.

jim gibson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 13, 2009
warren, ohio
So what is the bottom line after all this discussion?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Indy, my comments only stem from the many team member conversations that both of us have had, over so many years. My comment that GY "wanted it" was direct from a team member. no matter either way. At least we all agree that these cars are amazing, however, we can disagree, on what shoes to put on them, and use our wallets to "vote" for what we think is best.

Agreeded!
And Dave's point is well taken as well.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Bill
Good point on what the GT is designed for, but in my experience, Potenzas = quieter, smoother, and better cold weather grip, plus also less squeally on the limit. And of course they're also a little bit bigger so give the car a better "attitude".

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I like the OEM Goodyear F1s for the road. I use Hoosiers for the track. I'll keep buying Goodyears (I'm on my 5th pair of rear F1s - almost 30,000 miles). I'm confident Goodyear will not discontinue production of our size F1 for a while.

Ed

Jan A. Byrd

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
Percy IL
I replaced my rear GY's at 7K which I attributed to a little spinning you might call it. I have been a little easier on my second set and am showing aggressive wear again with 12K. Looks like another set of rears are going to be needed again at 14K miles. Is this normal or do I have an alignment problem. Jan.