OEM Goodyear F1 Rear Tires

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I ordered a set of OEM Goodyear F1's about 6 months ago. The fronts were in stock at Tire Rack and were delivered, however the rears were backordered. I just followed up with Tire Rack and they have ".. no production date from Goodyear as yet with no indication when they will get one."

Does anyone know anything about this situation and why Goodyear is dragging its feet on a run of these rear tires for the FGT? I would guess there's a fair backlog of demand given how quickly the rears wear.

usmcfred

H

HHGT

When situations like this arise and diplomacy does not work, I tend to push the envelope. I think between all of us we could collect enough funds to publicly ask Goodyear a simple question. Now I know I'm gonna catch some $hit for even suggesting this but what are the options?

Full page advertisement will get someone's attention - I guarantee it!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Taking out a full page ad about a tire that is available isn't going to accomplish much. :lol

Per Ralphie's post last month after taking the insane step of, gulp, contacting Goodyear:

We show some availability of the Eagle F1 SuperCar tire in both sizes. if
you would like assistance in locating the tires, please contact our
Consumer Relations Department at 1-800-321-2136. We are available Monday
through Friday from 8:15 AM through 5:15 PM.

As far as I know, availability is purely based on the retailer you go to. AJB also said he managed to find some. Supply is going to be low. From what I hear around the campfire, Goodyear and Continental are the two worst affected of an industry wide shortage of rubber.

I will say, at the current retail price of the OEM tire, I would skip it and just get the Bridgestones from the Enzo. That is, if you can find them, since they are also in short supply.

H

HHGT

Most of the tires in stock are over 4 years old.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I know, but there are plenty of GTs rolling around on the original set of OEM tires from 2005 and 2006. I highly doubt the huge quantity of sub-5000 mile GT's have gone through a tire change yet. As long as the tires are stored properly and don't have any cracks in them, they should be fine. If they are left outside in the sun for 5 years, I would not use them.

Seriously though, I'd like to see the public reaction to a full page ad right now in which a bunch of dudes with $160k cars complain that availability is low on their $2k a set tires. :lol

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I never "get" these Goodyear threads . The Brigdestones are great and priced right. Of all the sports car tires I have had, Goodyears may be my least favorite.

I understand the keeping OE type tires on the car but time marches on. Also, and I know there are plenty of OEs being run on GTs, but being a former tire lawyer, I ain't running 5 year old tires on a performance car. First thing I do is replace tires. My Heritage had 450 miles and I took off the GYs.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I agree on the Bridgestones. I do wonder how much longer they will be around. The Goodyears are like hockey pucks compared to the bubblegum available today.

I also wouldn't want to run tires that are 5-6 years old, but my car routinely sees 150-200 mph.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
I highly doubt the huge quantity of sub-5000 mile GT's have gone through a tire change yet.

Correct ... the set I'm looking for are for my alternate set of "Standard" wheels which I've decided to run this season as I like their more period look vs. the "Optional" wheels now on the car.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Wonder of wonders ... Goodyear says the Eagle F1 Supercar P315/40ZR-19 are currently scheduled for production commencing on June 13. We shall see if this happens, however why couldn't Tire Rack get this information from Goodyear??

usmcfred

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good news. There definitely seems to be something lost in translation with Tire Rack and Goodyear.

Ford Motor purchasing has been involved trying to get Goodyear to have some tires made, so hopefully that looks like they succeeded.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
How do the Bridgestones compare for section and tread width against the OE tires? I know the GY F1's are much wider than almost all tires given the same exact numbers. Are they run scrap's too?

I can't even find them at the Bridgestone site under that or any sub brand for the rears...

Last edited:

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Tire thread (or at least one of them):
http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?12372-THE-Tire-Thread&highlight=tire+thread

You need to search by tire size, not by vehicle. Here are the sizes I used:
BRIDG 345/35/19 POTENZA RE050A
BRIDG 265/40/18 POTENZA RE050A

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
How do the Bridgestones compare for section and tread width against the OE tires? I know the GY F1's are much wider than almost all tires given the same exact numbers. Are they run scrap's too?

I can't even find them at the Bridgestone site under that or any sub brand for the rears...

I bought the same tires FENZO mentioned above from Tirerack. $1300 and change for all four and the build dates were late 2010. I think these tires make the Goodyears a non issue. Stickier, quieter and in better sizing.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
IMO the chage to Bridgestones had a larger positive impact to performance & feel than adding the pulley/tune. I actually feel comfortable driving in sub 60 degree weather now.

One slight negative, the newest rears I could find back in Sept were manufactured in '06.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford Motor purchasing has been involved trying to get Goodyear to have some tires made, so hopefully that looks like they succeeded.

If I was a product planner for Goodyear worth my salt, I'd know of and read this forum.... and I'd argue to keep postponing production until Bridgestone drops the ball.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
IMO the chage to Bridgestones had a larger positive impact to performance & feel than adding the pulley/tune. I actually feel comfortable driving in sub 60 degree weather now.

One slight negative, the newest rears I could find back in Sept were manufactured in '06.

Good point. Check the dates. On my last set of B stones one tire was an 05. My guy sent it back for an 09.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Still hoping for a Michelin Super Sport option.......

Yes I know, unlikely.....

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Still hoping for a Michelin Super Sport option.......

Yes I know, unlikely.....

You just never know, there just might be some bright business people at Michelin.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Good News! new F1's from Goodyear.

Thanks Jerry and all the others that got this off of dead center.

Now I can go another 85,000 with no more worries about rear tire trade off's.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
When situations like this arise and diplomacy does not work, I tend to push the envelope. I think between all of us we could collect enough funds to publicly ask Goodyear a simple question. Now I know I'm gonna catch some $hit for even suggesting this but what are the options?

Full page advertisement will get someone's attention - I guarantee it!

Sam , you know I agree with you.

Your long lost twin,
Nardo