New Supercar is TwinTurbo ecoboost

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I have heard that you can have any color you want, as long as it is black. :wink

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I like Black. Black is Good.

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
Flat plane crank V8 with twin turbos would have sounded better,(in F1 as well)

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Autoblog this morning says Ford has applied for the trademark Ecobeast.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
centerpunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where the hell have you been? Glad you're back!

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Dude! Hello!

You must have missed my confession of non-brilliance a few days ago here http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php/30112-FordGTprices-com-100-right-50-of-the-time

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
I'm just wondering how long it will take for the GT Guys to dump the new flat plane crank V8 into an 05-6 GT so Dave can tell the F Chat guys that Ford's NA engine makes more power than the theirs.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'm just wondering how long it will take for the GT Guys to dump the new flat plane crank V8 into an 05-6 GT so Dave can tell the F Chat guys that Ford's NA engine makes more power than the theirs.

More power than their what? 458 = 125 hp/L. 458 Speciale = 132 hp/L.

Is the Ford 5.2 going to make more than that?

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

I already have a car awaiting one. Motor will not be available till late 2015....

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'll be surprised if you're able to get it by then.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

I agree, that is just in talking with my buddy from ford racing. Not only that is the GT350 will have special motor mounts and such to handle the vibrations of the engine. So no one know yet if the motor will be available as a crate motor due to a few reasons. But that doesn't matter to me i will buy a wrecked car if i need to.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN

I too would be surprised if it ever will be offered as a stand alone engine.

And because of the engine dynamics pulling one out of a wrecked GT350 and plugging it into another car will probably be met with disappointments. This is exactly why Jamal did not indicate the engine will be a crate offering in his interview.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota

And because of the engine dynamics pulling one out of a wrecked GT350 and plugging it into another car will probably be met with disappointments. This is exactly why Jamal did not indicate the engine will be a crate offering in his interview.

With the proper gearing of the transaxle in a Ford GT i highly doubt the 5.2 will be a disappointment in a car that is lighter than the new GT350 mustang. That would be like saying putting a ford GT or coyote motor in a kit car or otherwise would be disappointing. It something that has been done ALOT with great success...

I already plan on doing it so its only a matter of time before it happens. I have a GT that I was going todo a coyote swap in like Jim Dunham did but as soon as this motor came to light those plans were put to the wayside.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

The things that make NVH engineers cringe at Ford probably aren't going to bother anyone building a stripped out track car. They even think the 5.8L gets close to the acceptable NVH threshold as it approaches 7k, to which I say "yeah, if you say so." A stock 458 does all kinds of wacky shit that Ford wouldn't tolerate.

The 5.2L is light, so sticking it in the back is gonna change the handling a bunch. A fully dressed 5.4L Ford GT engine weighs a ton, so sticking the 5.2L in the back without the mega can exhaust is literally hundreds of pounds removed behind the seats.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Dave, do you know what the 458 engine does to manage NVH? Meaning, do they have the balancing cams (like the Ford V10 motors had)?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A 5.2 in the GT would make for a great project. There was an engineer I recall who put a Coyote 5.0 in a GT, but I don't know if it was finished.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Dave, do you know what the 458 engine does to manage NVH? Meaning, do they have the balancing cams (like the Ford V10 motors had)?

I honestly don't know. I tried to find some technical info on the F136 FB but couldn't come up with much. I think Luigi is just extra careful when he-a put inna da crank-a. Whatever they do it's one hell of an engine.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
The things that make NVH engineers cringe at Ford probably aren't going to bother anyone building a stripped out track car. They even think the 5.8L gets close to the acceptable NVH threshold as it approaches 7k, to which I say "yeah, if you say so." A stock 458 does all kinds of wacky shit that Ford wouldn't tolerate.

The 5.2L is light, so sticking it in the back is gonna change the handling a bunch. A fully dressed 5.4L Ford GT engine weighs a ton, so sticking the 5.2L in the back without the mega can exhaust is literally hundreds of pounds removed behind the seats.

It would require a major suspension tune but the current GT is a little tail heavy for ideal balance plus it would get the total weight down near 3000 pounds which is always good. It would probably be a really good car with none of the heat related draw backs of forced induction. The basic chassis design is excellent as is the suspension geometry, just increase the front tire size and you would have a winner.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
It would probably be a really good car with none of the heat related draw backs of forced induction.

That is for sure. I understand the rationale behind choosing the 5.4L for the 05/06, but the car would have been absolutely phenomenal with something like the Voodoo in it.

Would have become a totally different car though and we wouldn't have all these 700-800-900-1000 hp GTs running around.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I'm sooooooo thankful it was a FI car. Never had a turbo car until this, and ohhhh what a platform!!!