New Supercar is TwinTurbo ecoboost

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Found out an hour ago..

Expect GT Prices to go postal in the near future cause this will kill any hopes of ford ever building a V8 Supercar ever again.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Anything more on the new supercar?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Nope.. Not a single person i know can get any pics of it. But the motor was confirmed by an detiotee here a little bit ago..

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
A V6 TT would never be considered a " supercar", at least in the domestic market here, at least that's my opinion anyway.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Ford is thinking 2022, not 2015. V6 twin turbos will be the KING OF THE HILL by 2022, if we still drive cars.........2.0 will be the norm for everyone else.
gtjoey1314

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
A V6 TT would never be considered a " supercar", at least in the domestic market here, at least that's my opinion anyway.
So you think that a Carrera GT is not a supercar? It "only" has a 6-cylinder engine. A twin turbo V-6 could be used in a "real" supercar, but it would depend on other factors too. It would need significantly more than 3 liters, maybe about 4 liters, 20+ psi boost, a high redline, and direct fuel injection, and preferably a rod ratio in excess of 2. It would also use hybrid electric drive to deliver more than 1000 HP with regenerative braking. Wrap that in a mid-engine car that weighs less than 3000 lbs, with active suspension adjustment, etc. If it can put 200+ MPH on the board, no one will argue with how it got there. And Porsche, McLaren, and Ferarri would be very afraid if such a car carried a price tag of less than $200K

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
There are exceptions to every rule but the V8 is considered puny in some circles. There are a few blue bloods who would argue that 12 cylinders is the only way to make a proper sports car. I like the sound of an American V8 over the high strung European thoroughbreds but that's just me. Besides no-one has said it won't be a V8 version of the ecoboost... have they?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
So you think that a Carrera GT is not a supercar? It "only" has a 6-cylinder engine.

Eh? Carrera GT has a 5.7L V10. I agree with GTED. V6 anything is not considered a supercar in any universe I'm aware of.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Pete, the CGT is definitely a Supercar, it has the best sounding and free revving 5.7 liter V10. Yes, the rest of the package/components are important. However, for argument sakes, what is the current V6-based Supercar? None, really. With the only possible exception, the Porsche GT2 is quite close and could be viewed, from a performance viewpoint only, as a Supercar.

So you think that a Carrera GT is not a supercar? It "only" has a 6-cylinder engine. A twin turbo V-6 could be used in a "real" supercar, but it would depend on other factors too. It would need significantly more than 3 liters, maybe about 4 liters, 20+ psi boost, a high redline, and direct fuel injection, and preferably a rod ratio in excess of 2. It would also use hybrid electric drive to deliver more than 1000 HP with regenerative braking. Wrap that in a mid-engine car that weighs less than 3000 lbs, with active suspension adjustment, etc. If it can put 200+ MPH on the board, no one will argue with how it got there. And Porsche, McLaren, and Ferarri would be very afraid if such a car carried a price tag of less than $200K

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Eh? Carrera GT has a 5.7L V10. I agree with GTED. V6 anything is not considered a supercar in any universe I'm aware of.

+1

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Somebody with some strong ideas about supercars once said, "the horse doesn't push the cart, it pulls it". I.e., the engine goes in the front, not the back.

Ergo, times change. The Supercar buyers of today, were 4cyl drivers in their youth......and there are some wicked fast 4cyl's today.

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Somebody with some strong ideas about supercars once said, "the horse doesn't push the cart, it pulls it". I.e., the engine goes in the front, not the back.

Ergo, times change. The Supercar buyers of today, were 4cyl drivers in their youth......and there are some wicked fast 4cyl's today.

Excellent point and as weird as this sounds to myself, in 20 years, petroleum based cars will likely be the minority. The pure torque of electric motors will create some pretty sick numbers.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
IBM was once derogatorily referred to as Itty Bitty Machines. A 'true' computer was 'Big Iron' back then.

Times change.

Quickest 0 - 60 times for an electric dragster is 1.7 seconds........so far. Power to weight brother!

Last edited:

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
1994_jaguar_xj220-pic-15008.jpeg

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Some of the commentaries sound like a pure speculation of, at least, 10 years from now.... Let's not forget this thread is talking about a so called Supercar from Ford that might be shown in a few weeks and one which might be racing at Le Mans in 2016. Let's not get off track and fantasize a car with a subs-2 liter engine coupled with a few electric motors that COULD produce a gazillion-million hp that is years and years from Jan, 2015.

V6 TT or not..., I am curious as to what the car to be shown in a few weeks looks like.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX

Meh. Was developed as a V12, produced as a TTV6. Was a relative flop as a result. Next!:)

pacettr

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 2, 2013
Mustang, OK
Meh. Was developed as a V12, produced as a TTV6. Was a relative flop as a result. Next!:)

The XJ220 held the record for the fastest production car throughout 1992 after recording a top speed of 213 mph (343 km/h), before being superseded by the McLaren F1 in 1993 when it recorded a top speed of 231 mph (372 km/h).[4] The Jaguar held the Nürburgring production car lap record between 1992 and 2000 with a time of 7:46.36.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
The XJ220 held the record for the fastest production car throughout 1992 after recording a top speed of 213 mph (343 km/h), before being superseded by the McLaren F1 in 1993 when it recorded a top speed of 231 mph (372 km/h).[4] The Jaguar held the Nürburgring production car lap record between 1992 and 2000 with a time of 7:46.36.

You forgot to take out the footnote notation in your quote from wiki:biggrin
But since we're going that route (emphasis mine):

Critics of the car consider it underwhelming for such an expensive, powerful and high performance machine. Motoring journalists have been critical of the interior and the car itself for being too comfortable and lacking the sense of occasion present with other supercars.[53] Commentators who approve of the interior have criticised the luggage space as being "largely useless".[51] Journalists and other commentators often bemoaned the lack of the Jaguar V12 engine and other technical components fitted to the concept car. Contemporary reviews pondered on whether the sales performance and residual values would have been improved by sticking more closely to the specification of the concept car.[7]

Sales performance was disappointing. Jaguar had intended to produce up to 350 cars, but production ceased in 1994 with 275 production cars produced, not all of which had been sold; some left-hand drive examples were still available in 1997.[54][55]

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
The XJ220 production had to be sold off at steep discounts to the expected price. Demand dropped like a rock on Jupiter when the prospective customers were told it will have a V6 rather than a V12.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
However, because it was a V6......., it was deemed irrelevant almost from day 1...., just as Bonehead stated, a flop. Do a survey and see what % of car guys would consider the XJ220 a Supercar...