Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
scaled.php

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Not my fault:lol
Mercedes almost unveiled their New Mercedes line today. The whole thrust is Hyrdo/Electric/Turbo/Eco/Cryptonite.
The V6 ECOBOOST or some variant is the way, the handwriting is on the wall. Ford will have a 2.0 4 cylinder version and that will be the modern version of the old 351/302 that we grew up with for the next 20 years.
Who would have thought 20 years ago that a 2.0 turbo diesel 4 cylinder would produce 300 hp, no maintenance and go 100,000 without a hitch and almost zero emmissions to an old motor.
We shall see.
GTJOEY1314

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Just picked up BMW X3 turbo diesel. 2,0 with 268 ft lbs torque. 8 spd transmission. Smooth, responsive, quiet and 35 mpg. $1500 over gas version! Don't know what took so long for US market to catch up what Europe has known for years. With low sulfur fuel and clean Diesel engines , cleaner than gas egualivant.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Just picked up BMW X3 turbo diesel. 2,0 with 268 ft lbs torque. 8 spd transmission. Smooth, responsive, quiet and 35 mpg. $1500 over gas version! Don't know what took so long for US market to catch up what Europe has known for years. With low sulfur fuel and clean Diesel engines , cleaner than gas egualivant.
Europe encourages use of diesels with fuel tax policy. The US does not.

The fuel price difference is getting worse with gasoline prices falling much faster than diesel.

Tiny turbo gasoline engines that make big torque will make it worse for diesels here.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

The operating costs of diesel don't favor passenger vehicles here. There is usually an additional cost over the gas engine. Then diesel is pretty much uniformly higher than gasoline now, so the operating cost - cents per mile - usually don't work out in the favor of the diesel. Special uses, e.g., trucks for towing, it works very well though.

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Can anyone answer this question which is germane to the thread topic? Hate to be a nudge about it but...:

"So is this new GT going to be homologated prior to 2016 LeMans or is it going to be a prototype car at 2016 LeMans? I'm confused here.

If it's going to be a prototype at LeMans how is there going to be production availability in 2016?"

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
If anyone that could answer that did answer that, it would be all over the Internet in minutes.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I realize topic seems off but not really. Question is weather smaller engines are taking over larger V8s and the like. See gt Joey's comment and seems inevitable. It seems that these smaller "blown engines" are the way to go as long as they can last (hence popularity of diesels look at Audi and lemans).
I must say I have always been accustomed to high reving NA European engines. Ford Gt my first V 8. All I can say is torque is great! If these smaller blown engines can provide the same #s, and be lighter and as reliable, so be it!!

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005

In Europe Ford had a modern WINDSTAR mimivan , called the Monterey , 4 cylinder turbo diesel, stick shift, seven speen if I remember . It was a great size all captains chairs and got 780 miles to the tankfull.
Back then 3 years ago, old politics in the States were to blame I was told . It is the future.
Ford has a shot to become the Global giant bigger than Honda and VW, They just have to break the mold.
Even lose money on cars for years, just to get the word out. That's what Honda and Lexus and Kia did for years.
So for old school you have to adapt or live in the past, not bad if you already own a GT .
So for me its "GTECOBOOSTJOEY1314" and beyond!!!!!
GTJOEY1314

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Can anyone answer this question which is germane to the thread topic? Hate to be a nudge about it but...:

"So is this new GT going to be homologated prior to 2016 LeMans or is it going to be a prototype car at 2016 LeMans? I'm confused here.

If it's going to be a prototype at LeMans how is there going to be production availability in 2016?"

Here's the thing about LM: the FIA/ACO can always grant a waiver for any particular situation they desire. As long as the other manufacturers don't throw an absolute tantrum about a waiver issued for some regulation X, Y or Z, they have room to maneuver on the rulebook. This is how Vipers run 2.5L over the maximum allowable NA displacement.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
I realize topic seems off but not really. Question is weather smaller engines are taking over larger V8s and the like. See gt Joey's comment and seems inevitable. It seems that these smaller "blown engines" are the way to go as long as they can last (hence popularity of diesels look at Audi and lemans).
I must say I have always been accustomed to high reving NA European engines. Ford Gt my first V 8. All I can say is torque is great! If these smaller blown engines can provide the same #s, and be lighter and as reliable, so be it!!

We still have a 4cyl turbo 2015 Mustang GT in stock. YUK It just does not seem right. Ford tried it back in 1980's with the SVO mustang . But that was a Pinto motor LOL. it Flopped.

I want more cubes then more Boost. not less cubes and lots of boost. Just Me. But I was also the guy 5 years ago saying more compression and less boost or the same boost will make more power and I was fighting the guys saying that less compression meant more air. They were wrong for making more Horsepower. We proved it.

The GT should have been 9.5 not 8s' but I can see where it would make the tune safer and for a production car. Most manufactures are in favor of being real safe. Then the racer change things ... you can always add more boost if there is room for it and I am afraid that they will max out the combo leaving little room for improvement for the tuner guys. I am sure they do not care about this but what if we all had to stay at the stock 550 hp level ?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
We still have a 4cyl turbo 2015 Mustang GT in stock. YUK It just does not seem right.

Remember, the 2015 Mustang is a world car. I would expect the turbo 4 to be a big seller in countries that tax based on displacement and/or have very high fuel cost.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Remember, the 2015 Mustang is a world car. I would expect the turbo 4 to be a big seller in countries that tax based on displacement and/or have very high fuel cost.

kind of like when my mom said eat all your food there are kids in Ethiopia that are starving. I was the smart ass that said here sent it to them.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Though this new technology is inevitable. What I like about our GTs is maintenance is relatively easy and inexspensive! If this new car is ultra high tech maintenance could be a nightmare with few dealers being readily capable:( Also point well taken the modifications on a small "highly strung " engine more difficult

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
While the new V6 Eco boost is trick and cool and hip and what the Europeans are doing (not that I care) it does not belong in a Ford GT IMHO. If you are bringing the car back in a new iteration for the 50th at LeMans it should have a V8 for many reasons including historically no Ford GT had a V6. Why they would not use he new 5.2 Fpc is a mystery to me and a misstep.

Reminds me of Chrysler with the Prowler. Putting a 6 in that car killed it. That car screamed for a small block V8.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Its crazy all this speculation on what the power train will be and we do not even know what the car looks like or is called!! Great job Ford! T minus 11 days and counting!! Quite exciting!!

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Bit off topic. Thought it was pretty funny.

10903688_421066168046437_713642041_n.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Here's the thing about LM: the FIA/ACO can always grant a waiver for any particular situation they desire. As long as the other manufacturers don't throw an absolute tantrum about a waiver issued for some regulation X, Y or Z, they have room to maneuver on the rulebook. This is how Vipers run 2.5L over the maximum allowable NA displacement.

Just to be clear, you are implying that the FIA can be "influenced'? :rofl

Love to be at the meeting - 'a bottle of 1962 Beaulieu Vineyard Georges de Latour Private Reserve' - :beer2:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Bit off topic. Thought it was pretty funny.

Don't forget, EcoBoost is marketing. I can remember then-President of the Americas Mark Fields introducing the "TwinForce" engine in the Lincoln MKR concept in 07. Suddenly fuel economy became a thing, TwinForce was binned and EcoBoost was born!

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Don't forget, EcoBoost is marketing. !

Hit the nail on the head. It probably was how the team sold it to corporate lol. well if it is true and they are even building one. Maybe it will be a Shelby Cobra like we all thought a few years back... speculation , speculation . But I trust Dan.