New Supercar is TwinTurbo ecoboost

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Don't forget, EcoBoost is marketing.

Absolutely. Marketing and branding. There's now multiple (2?) 4-cyl EcoBoost motors, mulitiple (2) V6 EcoBoost motors, and so what would prevent a V8 EcoBoost motor. I could easily see a TT V8 for Ford's next supercar and of course they would call it an EcoBoost motor. Leaks happen and someone hears it's going to use an "EcoBoost" motor then erroneously make the leap to an existing V6 platform. We'll find out soon enough I guess!

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I would have loved to see a Daytona coupe with the 5.2 fpc to compete with the Vette and Viper.

OMG! That would be sweet!

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
There "has to" be something in the recently copy righted EcoBeast name. For the next Raptor maybe?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That's for Ford Racing ecoboost crate motors.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Well then, as you know Eco Boost motors almost seem to live forever, so its guarantied now, a 1-2-3 finish at the 24, in the year ????

Last edited:

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They made a TT cobra jet 5.0 prototype in 13 I think. The Ecoboost lead engineer was in on the project. Remember the boss 302R ran the street boss 302 in front of everyone before introducing the street version. Sounds like lots of work for just one car.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
The TT cobrajet was not an ecoboost motor. It was a normal SEFI 5.0 with 2 turbos added for forced induction. No direct injection, no exhaust recirc flame front control etc. Similar to the Hellion aftermarket kits.

If they are developing and EB 5.0 its been kept under wraps very well. They need one to replace the 6.8 in Medium duty truck and as a high output option for the Raptor and other go fast mobiles. But it seems to remain a void.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here's the thing about LM: the FIA/ACO can always grant a waiver for any particular situation they desire.

Oh, yeah, they can. All the way to canceling the race :)

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
If they are developing and EB 5.0 its been kept under wraps very well. They need one to replace the 6.8 in Medium duty truck and as a high output option for the Raptor and other go fast mobiles. But it seems to remain a void.

ECOboost V-10? That would make me abandon the powerstroke (due to diesel prices) right now.

jvmax

GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 13, 2008
I always thought the definition of Ford's ecoboost was the power of that model's original engine, but with a smaller engine and better fuel economy. So in the Ford Gt's case, the original V8 would be replaced with a TT V6. Ford's F150 V8 ecoboost version is a TTV6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_EcoBoost_engine

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Ecoboost goes back to the days when Derrick Kuzak was product chief. They did very well with the products developed under his watch. With skyrocketing fuel prices and increasingly stringent emissions regulations, they were concerned with utilizing technology that addressed both of those issues while providing superior drivability to a larger NA engine at a premium that could be recouped quickly by the consumer. That's why Kuzak, who was in charge of product development around the globe, decided to stick to GTDI in the U.S while having a roster of diesel products elsewhere. That ended up being fortuitous because with the flip in diesel prices now it takes much longer for diesel to pay off. Longer than most consumers will do the math for.

They also could use the formula across the entire product line, from tiny little Fiestas all the way to full size trucks, and could bill the product as a bonus based on fuel economy and performance. Hence the whole TwinForce vs. EcoBoost thing. It had a catchy performance name even though it was primarily developed for fuel economy/emissions. Obviously it's worked because they've sold over 500,000 of the F-150 versions alone. While they could really make a GTDI version of anything in the lineup, in my view, the prospects of a 5.0L DI Ecoboost motor ever going in anything are extremely dim until it appears in an F-Series pickup to justify the expense.

It's a great thing for Ford Performance enthusiasts that Kuzak's replacement, Raj Nair, is a certifiable performance nut. He owns a Tungsten, Ford GT 2006 #0001, and will be at Rally 10.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Why EcoBoost is a BFD. Hint - the US is not the center of the automotive universe.

Comparison: three-cylinder engines on test
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/comparison-three-cylinder-engines-test

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Three Pot

Very interesting article Gary.

Three pot. Like the termonology.

“Three-pots have much less second-order vibration than four-cylinders,” he explains, “so they can sometimes do without balancer shafts entirely and can manage with shorter conrods than four-cylinder units, so they fit into a smaller space.”​

Darn, there is that reference to second-order vibration mode again, just like the Voodoo engine….. There must be something to that mode which is important for engine designers.

“No such criticism (performance discussion) can be levelled at Ford’s 1.0-litre EcoBoost or BMW’s 1.5-litre unit. On quality of performance, these two are a class apart from the rest. The Ford’s unburstable energy and flexibility are marvels and examples to all.”​

“But somehow, the Ford’s greater stature combines with its operating brilliance and overhauls this contest. Even after three years on sale, that first, unburstable turbo triple petrol remains the definitive one – by 
about the width of its cambelt.”​

Good for Ecoboost and Ford

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ecoboost goes back to the days when Derrick Kuzak was product chief. They did very well with the products developed under his watch. With skyrocketing fuel prices and increasingly stringent emissions regulations, they were concerned with utilizing technology that addressed both of those issues while providing superior drivability to a larger NA engine at a premium that could be recouped quickly by the consumer. That's why Kuzak, who was in charge of product development around the globe, decided to stick to GTDI in the U.S while having a roster of diesel products elsewhere. That ended up being fortuitous because with the flip in diesel prices now it takes much longer for diesel to pay off. Longer than most consumers will do the math for.

They also could use the formula across the entire product line, from tiny little Fiestas all the way to full size trucks, and could bill the product as a bonus based on fuel economy and performance. Hence the whole TwinForce vs. EcoBoost thing. It had a catchy performance name even though it was primarily developed for fuel economy/emissions. Obviously it's worked because they've sold over 500,000 of the F-150 versions alone. While they could really make a GTDI version of anything in the lineup, in my view, the prospects of a 5.0L DI Ecoboost motor ever going in anything are extremely dim until it appears in an F-Series pickup to justify the expense.

It's a great thing for Ford Performance enthusiasts that Kuzak's replacement, Raj Nair, is a certifiable performance nut. He owns a Tungsten, Ford GT 2006 #0001, and will be at Rally 10.

Kuzak's contributions to Ford's turnaround have really never received the attention due -- Product is King. You do product well, and you can afford small missteps in other functional areas. If product is non-descript, undifferentiated and/or generic, you'll spend vastly more across the board.

Entering the recent recent financial crises -- not so long ago -- Ford's product pipeline was in pretty poor shape and 'regionality' of design/engineering abounded both in powertrain and platform. Average product life was something like 4 years and ranked pretty low relative to 'best in class' competition. Regionality was how the Company evolved and for the most part, how it was managed.

Under Derrick's watch Ford accomplished much of the consoldiation to a One Ford product system, enter EcoBoost on the powertrain side. It was an amazing time. In retrospect, making huge bets in global platform consolidation and powertrain, while precious cash was dwindling and the overall 'market' was cratering with a global recession underway.

Raj and Team are most fortunate to have a solid foundation from which to build. I dare say that the current Ford GT's and GT350's would not be possible without the hard work that was done during the recent corporate restructuring.

A bit of 'financial forensics' on Ford's current balance sheet/income statement, would seem to indicate that Ford hasn't forgetten the 'lessons learned' about the importance of product. If you take three steps back at the Company today and look, you might even find a slight nod away from its' traditional risk adverse/second to market approach, to one of managed risk taking. And it's a good thing! :thumbsup

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Kuzak's contributions to Ford's turnaround have really never received the attention due -- Product is King. You do product well, and you can afford small missteps in other functional areas. If product is non-descript, undifferentiated and/or generic, you'll spend vastly more across the board.

Entering the recent recent financial crises -- not so long ago -- Ford's product pipeline was in pretty poor shape and 'regionality' of design/engineering abounded both in powertrain and platform. Average product life was something like 4 years and ranked pretty low relative to 'best in class' competition. Regionality was how the Company evolved and for the most part, how it was managed.

Under Derrick's watch Ford accomplished much of the consoldiation to a One Ford product system, enter EcoBoost on the powertrain side. It was an amazing time. In retrospect, making huge bets in global platform consolidation and powertrain, while precious cash was dwindling and the overall 'market' was cratering with a global recession underway.

Raj and Team are most fortunate to have a solid foundation from which to build. I dare say that the current Ford GT's and GT350's would not be possible without the hard work that was done during the recent corporate restructuring.

A bit of 'financial forensics' on Ford's current balance sheet/income statement, would seem to indicate that Ford hasn't forgetten the 'lessons learned' about the importance of product. If you take three steps back at the Company today and look, you might even find a slight nod away from its' traditional risk adverse/second to market approach, to one of managed risk taking. And it's a good thing! :thumbsup

Well said, Derrick was one of the most conscientious and brilliant engineers I ever worked with at Ford. He took his job so seriously that I worried that it would effect his health. We worked together when he as manager of the steering gear and wheel department at passenger chassis engineering.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

wheelb

GT Owner
May 22, 2014
Miami Fl
I still need to see where it says ford GT ? All articles i read just talks about eco boost no where i found mentioned GT is back I'm yet to see all the evidence what am i missing? Thanks.

okay i see this article but still so many open doors. even says might not be a GT http://autoweek.com/article/sports-cars/new-ford-gt-will-race-le-mans-chip-ganassi-2016 i cant wait for Detroit now lol.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit

I don't know how the automotive blogosphere has missed that Ford Racing has been using that goofy ass graphic and silly name re: GTDI crate engines for a while. Rex has had it as his avatar for months (presumably a photo taken at SEMA?), and they had it plastered on stuff at SEMA.

3-Ford-Racing-EcoBeast.jpg

1-Ford-Racing-EcoBeast-648x1024.jpg

I have the same question - why is the new car (that no one has seen) called the "new GT"? Seems to me that if it exists it's highly unlikely to look like a GT 40 or to be called a GT, especially given that there are now the 2005-6 GTs (our cars) plus Mustang GTs. Talk about confusion!

I still need to see where it says ford GT ? All articles i read just talks about eco boost no where i found mentioned GT is back I'm yet to see all the evidence what am i missing? Thanks.

okay i see this article but still so many open doors. even says might not be a GT http://autoweek.com/article/sports-cars/new-ford-gt-will-race-le-mans-chip-ganassi-2016 i cant wait for Detroit now lol.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...why is the new car (that no one has seen) called the "new GT"? Seems to me that if it exists it's highly unlikely to look like a GT 40 or to be called a GT...

As I see it, "the new GT" isn't meant to describe the new car...it just simply acknowledges the fact it's the FGT's 'successor', if you will. It's a point of reference only... a 'label' for identification purposes only. 'Kinda like
"Petunia", if you will. :biggrin