Major GTX1 Surgery...

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Kip,
Do you have a price yet? Can the top be installed on the West Coast, or do we have to transport to you?
Tom

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Kip, I have always admired your work from a distance, as I do not own a GTX1, but I just have to say how impressive your talents are.
I look forward to meeting you at Rally IV and buying you a cold one! :thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Did final interior pictures get posted?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
This one is a lot of work, but it is gratifying to see it come together.
You are making Austin, right?
I hope to. Most of the obstacles are out of the way and the road to Austin is almost clear. :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So is the window glass a magnifier that says things you see are closer than you think?

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I have no GTX

Kip - just cruising the forum & thought I'd say hi!

Ed

PS Plus I'm getting closer to that 1000 post goal. By the way, what does one receive when when reaching that goal?

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
That is simply astounding Kip. It's great to see the progress as it unfolds. With your knowledge, your dedication to perfection, and the resources you have available. This will be the best hard top that could possibly be put on the car. And lucky me, I'll get to own two of them! :thumbsup

Last edited:

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Gtx1

Kip, was "GTX1" protected as a trademark or proprietary name by Ford, Genaddi, Mark G. personally, or ??
The GTX1 trademark is owned by Ford Motor Company.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Special Ed, bend over and you will find out.

atspeed

LAST BLU
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 13, 2007
Berkeley, CA
Many thanks for keeping us updated and sharing the process. This is fascinating and I applaud your work. Very nice!

Michael

BigBrain

GT Owner
Aug 26, 2010
Central Maryland
Did you do your own wing? I have not found much on the sited except Matech. Can you post or email a few pictures (especially connection points) to lhewitt@hewitt1.com? I am considering building one for my 06 GT (I am also an Aerospace Engineer). I was going to connect into the bumper mounts to make it a no mod modification.

Thanks in advance.

Lee (aka BigBrain)

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
You ROCK, Kip, you made a car begging for a solid top look better than the original FGT. Most excellent effort. Skilled craftsmen, hats off! :cheers

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
progress

Just checking in to see if there has been any good progress pictures!

We've been swamped.
I can get some photos up at the end of the week.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Did final interior pictures get posted?

From what I was told last week, this GTX1 should be on the way home!

when it's not in Kip's workshop:banana

Car resides in Federal Way, so at some time, soon I hope, we'll be able to see it in person. Bonus for 2112 it's only a 40 mile drive. I'll see if we can get it to the SVT get together in Tacoma.

Kip, you need to chime in on this one.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Kip,

Outstanding photos. These are my very favorite threads. When Shadowman, or Rich (GT Guy), or you post a progress report with plenty of photos along with a description, you give those of us who can't do any of that a vicarious understanding along with a most enjoyable read. I know it's time-consuming and a pain in the ass to take the photos and post up like that, but please keep them coming! Thanks Kip, I look forward to seeing you in Texas.

Chip

I agree.

One of the best things about such posts, is that it shows us what is involved in developing new upgrades. My only complaint, is that it sometimes puts too many things on my wish list!

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Outstanding Kip! I'm in for one!

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Well, here we go! It is always fun to cut up a perfectly good supercar.

After many requests, I've been worn down by a determined GTX1 owner and have started work on designing (and producing) a functional roof and sealing system for the GTX1.

The job requires that the door caps that Genaddi made be removed and new ones modeled, tooling made, and parts produced. It's just the only way the roof is going to seal and look right.

The key is to provide for some seal volume and to smooth the transition from the glass to the seal.

I'll post some progress along the way. It will give some insight on what this stuff takes.

B-pillar with cap removed and pillar re-shaped.

Packing modeling clay onto the A-pillar.

Sculpting the A-pillar

Completed B-pillar model

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I had not thought of that, but it is completely feasible.
We'd have to model a couple of seal details, but it could be done.

See how this all works out and we'll go from there.
So are we talking about cutting the top of the doors and then a way be engineered to attached top to the existing opening of the car? Why cut up the existing frame? I want that Smoky and the Bandit T-top in my GT :banana

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Never thought I needed a hardtop, but you've changed that. You do amazing work on everything you do. :cheers

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks for the continuing update. You have to love what you're doing to do what you're doing :cheers