Major GTX1 Surgery...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Pm stormcat, he has a wing that I think he did some wind tunnel testing with, you can see the wing in his aviator photo.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Wow. That is absolutely incredible. The top actually improves the look of the GTX1 which was already a masterpiece. It captures and accentuates the most powerful design lines of the X1. Unbelievable. Congratulations, Kip. :cheers

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Gtx1

Does this mean for people that didn't get the opportunity to get a GTX-1, we can now get a KIP-1 car??
That is becoming a strong possibility.
Watch this space.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
You're a brave Man !! :biggrin I hope you can come up with a good solution for the GTX guys ,,:thumbsup

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Kip, I am VERY impressed. The top looks AWESOME!!!

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
my help

Kip,

I am lost for words. What a fantastic job!

The only thing I would like to say is - please tell me you have a number of interns and apprentices?.......the world needs more people like you - we must ensure that your unique skills are passed on to another generation!

Dang - if I wasn't so busy I'd come along myself and offer to work for free just so I could learn how you do what you do!

Well done!
Actually, I've got two employees.

My main guy is just brilliant. An excellent pattern maker and really great at the carbon. I joke that when I die, I am going to leave an endowment to exhibit his patterns and mold at the Detroit Institute of Art.

My other employee is a fine artist we have trained. He really is doing great work. I have had really good luck recruiting people with art and design backgrounds. This stuff is learn-able when you start with someone that understands "craft".

Feel free to fly over.
We'll find something for you to do!
Always happy to train people.

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Luggage

Hi, Kip, nice job indeed. I hve my roof redone here in France and it's waterproof. You are right in cutting the doors ulmost to the windows level. The side gaskets must be changed too. May I see a pic of the luggage compartment ??

Greetings Stevo

Good to hear from you again!

Yes, we are tooling up new seals as part of this project.

We are close to having the luggage complete.
Most of the tooling is finished, and we have a number of sets in progress.

Photos soon!

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Steve Helmstock stitched this interior. Perhaps he could post some.

Cheers
Kip
Kip,
Would you please post the photo's after the interior is back in. Steve does not have access to the forum.

On another note, I really like the new design changes in the top.:thumbsup

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Kip,
I've missed your updates. How are things progressing? Has the changes been fabricated for us who have already had a soft top installed? Anxious to hear from you.
Tom

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks for the picture updates. Your roof is making that a very special GTX1. :cheers

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Cold one

Kip, I have always admired your work from a distance, as I do not own a GTX1, but I just have to say how impressive your talents are.
I look forward to meeting you at Rally IV and buying you a cold one! :thumbsup
I won't turn that down!
Thanks!

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
When am I getting my GT?

When are you getting your GT brotha!!!! :cheers
Not soon enough..................

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Heck, I'm on Fox Island, only 15 miles away. I would sure like to see this car too! :thumbsup

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
Hey Kip,

Sounds interesting, looks great. Are you doing it in all CF? You say someone is making progress on a soft top too?

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
Keep me posted please !

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I,m with Chip you guys are so talented and creative as I can't even write my name where people can read it. Keep up the great posts , work and upgrades. I just hope I can afford them on my fixed income. Tomy

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Door seal planes modeled

OK, this weekend I modeled seal mounting planes for the door glass.

We are using the door seals off the current model Mustang.
Again, there is no point in inventing a solution to a problem someone has solved with more resources. The Mustang has frameless door glass, and the seals work really well. Problem solved. We just need to adapt them to our purpose.

We start with a section of Mustang door glass seal to see how it needs to be oriented to the door glass.

When I worked at ASC, I got a good piece of advice about designing sealing systems, "You can do two things: seal water, and manage water." In other words, you can seal water, but you also will have some leaks and have to manage how it drains out. You can see from this picture of the Mustang seal that there is a bulb that seals against the top of the glass and then there is a lip that forms a drain trough below the primary seal. The glass only compresses the seal a few millimeters, so you have to be pretty accurate in how it is positioned.

To figure this positioning out, I make these little "saddles" that we'll use to position a section of seal against the glass.

Now we can position our section of seal against these "saddles" and verify that we can correctly position the seal against the door glass.

Once we have the correct geometry on the "saddles" we can make a few of these and hang them across the door glass. The door glass surface is a compound curve, so these "saddles" take a different orientation across the plane of the glass.

From this photo, you can see that with the door closed, the "saddles" indicate the surface that the seal has to mount to relative the to roof. pattern.
We now position a section of hardboard against the "saddles" and bond the hardboard to the roof pattern.

With the door now open, you can see how the seal mounting plane has been transfered from these "saddles" to an actual surface on the roof pattern.

We then mounted a full section of Mustang door seal on our new seal mounting plane to check for fit.

It fit perfectly. (whew!)

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Roof

Kip,
Do you have a price yet? Can the top be installed on the West Coast, or do we have to transport to you?
Tom
Price depends on if it is painted or if we do clear carbon, custom headliner etc. Please ring me to discuss.

There is only one other guy I'd trust to install this, Shadowman....
We'd have to work out the details, but I'd trust him.

All the GTX1s are a little different, so it's not a direct snap-on like a Miata or such. The door caps need a bit of fitment and centering the rear window module takes a bit of care.

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Now give us the bad news, the Price??

spyder625

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 23, 2008
Awesome can't wait!!!! Thanks