How do I top up the Transaxle?

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
OK Guys, please excuse my ignorance!

I am putting on my FFRP cooler and need to know:

1. how to top up the transaxle and....

2. how much of the expensive stuff I need to put in? ($55/quart in Canada! We're getting screwed up here!:ack :bored ).

Thanks, Rob

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Fill er Up

Rob, pretty easy!

After installing the oil cooler, make sure all oil line fittings are snug and secure. Fire the engine up and run 20-30 seconds in neutral with the clutch out ( ie foot off the clutch pedal). Believe the clutch has has to be in this position for the internal transaxle oil pump to be engaged and pumping fluid within the transaxle. Kendal if you read this please verify...

Go back and remove the air filter box (two bolts, worm clamp and MAP sensor wire) and remove from car. On driver side of transaxle accessed from above remove upper transaxle fill plug. (The lower plug is the fluid drain plug which you do not want to remove....obviously) Place shop rag, paper towels etc under transaxle on upper diffuser skin to catch overflow. Cut tapered Motorcraft transaxle fluid cap and install approx 24" of clear vinal tubing (I think I used 5/16 dia). Place other end in fill hole and invert bottle to flow fluid thru hose into transaxle. Should take approx 7/8 of a quart to replace fluid now in tranaxle heat exchanger and in/out lines.

Once fluid starts to come out of fill hole, stop, clean and reinstall plug. Torque to 27 Nm (20 FtLbs). Remove rags, reinstall air box and enjoy the car. Might make additional fitting checks after operating car at temperature to make sure all are tight and secure.

Thats it! Pretty easy to do and access from above much easier than below and all the labor to take off/reinstall lower diffuser.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You should not need more than a quart to top off after the installation. I topped mine off from below, but prefilled the cooler leaving the top line off.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
An easy way to top-off the Transaxle Cooler is to remove the line at the transaxle cooler that goes to the forward-most connection of the transaxle. With this line removed, wrap it with a few rags and carefully squeeze about 0.6 quarts of fluid into the end of the line. The heat exchanger on the Ford kit is just a little smaller than the Cool Tech Setrab unit which measures out to precisely .7 quarts of added capacity.

edited by bony

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
See the following thread regarding the drain plug washer that isn't shown in the manual:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3700&highlight=Transaxle+washer+manual

Aug 25, 2006
The GT Guys showed me a cool trick

Remove the upper plug as defined in thread on the transaxle which will define the level and then rather than attempting to fill it there they simply remove the speed sensor at the top driver side rear of the transaxle and fill it there ands then once the oil is at the level of the plug removed "WHOLLA" you are done.

It is an easier place to access

All the best

Shadowman

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
THANKS GANG!!!!

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!

You've given me so much choice that now I have to flip a coin to see which method to use......very cool!

Rob

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Just don't tear the o-ring on the sensor.

Aug 25, 2006
Just don't tear the o-ring on the sensor.

There you are

Please call me when you have a minute

Takes care

Shadowman

Rob Harris

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Calgary
There is nothing worse that a leaky O-Ring!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Could someone please post a picture of the sensor? Thanks. Frank

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Could someone please post a picture of the sensor? Thanks. Frank

Dr. Frank,

Sorry, I don't drop my pans for pictures. :eek

:lol :lol :lol

Aug 25, 2006
Here you go; it is under the heat sock that I installed on mine because of the location of the small metal bed cats.

If the heat sock were removed you would see a single electrical plug and single securing bolt that holds the sensor into postion. The removal is very easy and then as The GT Guys made mention of in this thread; be careful when reinstalling so as not to cut the o-ring. A little oil on the o-ring will make the process very easy

All the best

Shadowman

Attachments

• DSC01650.JPG
    DSC01650.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thank you Shadowman. Is this sensor easily accessible when the airbox is off? How do you get the tranny fluid in without making a mess? Looks like you're shooting in from the side? Do Bony's pipes look like yours (like Spirit said, he wouldn't drop his pans for us to see.) Thanks Frank

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you Shadowman. Is this sensor easily accessible when the airbox is off? How do you get the tranny fluid in without making a mess? Looks like you're shooting in from the side? Do Bony's pipes look like yours (like Spirit said, he wouldn't drop his pans for us to see.) Thanks Frank

Yes; very easy to access with the air box removed. As for filling it; the bottle that Ford sells the fluid in could have a simple hose put on the end and then squeezed in or......... small funnel with a hose on the bottom could be used in either case it maybe a little awkward but far from difficult.

BTW: this is the same exhaust as on Bony's gal too

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Thanks Shadow. Your engine bay looks so "open."

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Shawdow man does the blue tape mark the place to cut the bumper supports at for the bumper delete mod?

Aug 25, 2006
Shawdow man does the blue tape mark the place to cut the bumper supports at for the bumper delete mod?

It maybe close however the blue tape was placed there when removing the screen so as not to scratch the rail extensions.

Shadowman

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Shadow. Your engine bay looks so "open."

Yes; she went on a diet

Takes care

Shadowman

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Shadowman, thanks for the post on the sensor fill. Dennis and Rich are by far the most knowledgable and consience GT mechanics around. These guys know every nook, crany and trick there is on the FGT. They have worked on my car and their work was absolutely flawless as recounted numerous times in multiple posts.

So it was with interest I went out to look at what you recounted as to their trick to fill the transaxle when installing a cooler. My experience as related in post no. 2 was to remove the air box and remove the upper fill plug. This allows an approx 3/4 hole in the transaxle which I found easy to snake in a 5/16 dia hose and fill till overflow. This transaxle fill plug is located approx 3" aft of the torque-to-yield bolt circle. Really pretty easy to access to unscrew, fill and retorque the fill nut.

I located the sensor you describe in the aft area of the transaxle driver side. It is located approx 12" aft of the TTY boltcircle. Again not taking anything from the GT Guys but I do not see how it is easier to fill the transaxle thru a smaller fitting, located farther aft (and less head room with the clamshell, I am assuming the fill operation is done from above) when you have to remove the fill plug anyway to fill to the proper level and now you have the added complexity of worrying about damaging the sensor o-ring. (?) Maybe I am just missing something here.

The "waterline" of the sensor looks quite a bit higher than the fill plug so I am thinking you still have to remove that plug to get the proper static fluid level.
Help me out....what am I missing???