high hp guys and clutch

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I do a lot of 2nd gear pulls and I have almost no spin, so tires are not an issue in my case.

You lack power then.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I do a lot of 2nd gear pulls and I have almost no spin, so tires are not an issue in my case.

That is because you forgot to press the button in 2nd. :lol

Aug 25, 2006

Soroush my friend

In second gear I can easily get into trouble aka spin wheel spin and the same is true in third when the stars are aligned just perfectly.

You must have the "easy on hardware 825 horsepower package"

All the best

Shadowman

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Also note that the two things the GT stock clutch does not like are 1) riding the clutch out from a dig and 2) powershifting. In my Z06, I had a huge amount of drag strip passes using my left foot to do all the work leaving the line. You can't do that with a GT. You'll be left smelling metallic stank for 45 minutes inside the car at best, and at worst, you'll kill it. As for the powershifting, the car is MUCH quicker when powershifted, but you will kill the clutch. I'm sure that's what did mine in. It's fun to keep that boost cookin while you can, but it's definitely a costly extra couple tenths.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
ok grandma

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Also note that the two things the GT stock clutch does not like are 1) riding the clutch out from a dig and 2) powershifting. In my Z06, I had a huge amount of drag strip passes using my left foot to do all the work leaving the line. You can't do that with a GT. You'll be left smelling metallic stank for 45 minutes inside the car at best, and at worst, you'll kill it. As for the powershifting, the car is MUCH quicker when powershifted, but you will kill the clutch. I'm sure that's what did mine in. It's fun to keep that boost cookin while you can, but it's definitely a costly extra couple tenths.

I wonder if the Spec or Stillen could stand up to powershifting? Anybody try it?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
My car hasn't been driven lightly and I haven't gone thru this clutch yet.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My car hasn't been driven lightly and I haven't gone thru this clutch yet.

You're running the Spec, right?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yep.

You're running the Spec, right?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Can't you send your OEM clutch to SPEC and they will rebuild it?

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I can't find that clutch on Spec's website. Any dealers here carry it? Curious about price and specs.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
http://www.specclutch.com

Use the box in the upper left to choose a Ford GT 2006. 4 models show up.

Torrie which of those 4 are you using?

Performance Kits
2-Disc
SS-Trim P-Trim ST-Trim E-Trim
Product Number: SGTSST SGTPT SGTST SGTET
Torque Capacity: 980 1280 1390 1880
Usage: S,D,RR S,D,DR,RR S,D,DR,RR S,D,DR,RR
Pricing: $2999 $3999 $3999 $3999

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Back then (Mid 2006) there was only 1 clutch option unlike now so I don't know which one it would be relative too on that list.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Here's the screenshot. The different options it appears are based on different torque spec................ EP - they even have a drift clutch for you!

Attachments

• spec.jpg
    spec.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Is it safe to assume as you go up in torque rating that the clutch is harder to depress and modulate, grabbier, thus harder to drive in a smooth fashion on the street? Basically what are the downsides of the higher torque rating models?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Here's the screenshot. The different options it appears are based on different torque spec................ EP - they even have a drift clutch for you!

:skep:skep:skep Are you implying I'm "drifty"???:skep:skep:skep

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
EP doesn't need much of a clutch to move it to and from the transporter. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP doesn't need much of a clutch to move it to and from the transporter. :lol

:tongue:tongue:tongue

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I believe Stillen also makes a full race clutch that they use in their race car. It might be an alternative to the Spec.

We are running a different clutch in our race car. This other clutch is designed specifically for racing. I actually had the pleasure of driving the car home after the rally and I really enjoyed the race clutch. The release is very quick and easy to feel however it's not setup like a light switch. You can smoothly release the pressure without having to be ready to jump.

With that being said, at this time we have no plans to go into production with this clutch as it will more than likely be too expensive. The race clutch is 30% lighter and smaller than factory. It's smaller construction requires a lot of new parts such as a new flywheel, ring gear, center cone and a few other pieces. Because of the extremely limited demand for a part such as this we wouldn't be able to stretch the cost over a large production batch. Initial estimate's for this race clutch are in the 5 to 6K range. All of the engineering is finished, we could go into production with it if we wanted to. However, we think that would be a pretty hard price to swallow. Especially considering most people would never need a clutch like this.

Last edited:

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
You lack power then.

nope! 825rwhp

That is because you forgot to press the button in 2nd. :lol

nope again button was pressed hard:biggrin

Soroush my friend

In second gear I can easily get into trouble aka spin wheel spin and the same is true in third when the stars are aligned just perfectly.

You must have the "easy on hardware 825 horsepower package"

All the best

Shadowman

thank god the stars have not been that aligned for me:biggrin

ok grandma

bring it:lol