high hp guys and clutch

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
What clutch are you twin turbo guys and others making over 800whp running? Im interested to hear from people that have done events like the mile or are, in general, tough on their cars.

I am trying to decide between the Stillen unit and the Spec stuff. I like what I've read about the Stillen clutch but on their wesite, it is technically only rated for 616ft lbs of torque.

I know a lot of people stick with the stocker and I was thinking of doing the same but after recently speaking to a couple of turbo owners that actually race the car, it seems the stocker wont last long at those power levels.

Does Ram, McLeod, RPS, or Tilton make a clutch for our cars?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does Ram, McLeod, RPS, or Tilton make a clutch for our cars?

I'm shooting from the hip here, but, I'd be real surprised if they did because of the V-E-R-Y small market available.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
stillen or spec

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
stillen or spec
i know you bought a stillen

have u put it in yet?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I have a Stillen in my car. Feels just like the stock clutch. I'm not under the illusion it's going to hold up to 800-900 hp forever, but it should be a little better than stock.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
argghh I really want to go with the Stillen but I dont want to be replacing it 6 months down the road. kinda torn here since the Spec is rated for over 1000ft lbs but not a fan of Spec stuff in the past.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I know you are aware of this but I can't help saying it. Becareful my friend, the weather is getting chilly and your tires are going to be like glass. Congrats on the new power mod tho. :thumbsup (I don't want to race you anymore :biggrin)

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
I have the Stillen on both of my cars. But only the Whipple have I used on a road coarse track. So far no issues. Your tires were a big help. :thumbsup
The TT hasn't been "abused" yet on the track, I've only done straight line stuff at speed. No issues with it either.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I know you are aware of this but I can't help saying it. Becareful my friend, the weather is getting chilly and your tires are going to be like glass. Congrats on the new power mod tho. :thumbsup (I don't want to race you anymore :biggrin)

It'll be a whole before the car is done. Decide to do it at this time because the car is so dangerous to drive December to January.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
Im thinking about going with the Stillen and hoping it holds. I mean it is rated for higher power than the stocker and the stocker seems to do fine with 700ish hp.

From everything Ive read, it is a better engineered unit. Plus its like half the price of the Spec.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have about 20k TT miles on my spec clutch

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
argghh I really want to go with the Stillen but I dont want to be replacing it 6 months down the road. kinda torn here since the Spec is rated for over 1000ft lbs but not a fan of Spec stuff in the past.

Tell me about it My son ran a Spec3 for his Terminator and after about three months it friggin welded to the flywheel!

Torrie - you have the shudder with your's?

Aug 25, 2006
The Stillen clutch is an AP clutch and IMO a very nice assembly. It has a much more positve engagement when compared to the OEM assembly.

Now having stated this;

IMO the OEM clutch and the other offerings will all hold the additional power levels shared in this thread; meaning that the fundemental clamp load however if you are sloppy with your shifts; meaning do not have full clutch enagement as you progress through the gears before applying power all bets are off. It is the extreme slipping when under power that will fry the best of the best and it can happen ..................... zooom .... that fast.

As shared in a previous thread; IMO the OEM assembly feels mushy when clamping the assembly together (engaged under power) whereas the Stillen aka AP assembly feels crisp and give a feeling of confidence.

All the best with your quest

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
DBTGT had a Stillen installed on his regular, trailer-queen, silver car. You could ask him how it feels to load on and off the trailer. I'm sure he hits high torque there.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
IMO the OEM clutch and the other offerings will all hold the additional power levels shared in this thread; meaning that the fundemental clamp load however if you are sloppy with your shifts; meaning do not have full clutch enagement as you progress through the gears before applying power all bets are off. It is the extreme slipping when under power that will fry the best of the best and it can happen ..................... zooom .... that fast.Shadowman

Exactly! I was trying to think how to write that when Shadow saved me the trouble. Thank you.

I believe if you are going to race your car quite often, especially from a dead stop, go with the Spec. For street and occasional races, use the Stillen.

I believe Stillen also makes a full race clutch that they use in their race car. It might be an alternative to the Spec.

I'm still trying to decide which to use myself. I just have to decide how I plan to use the car in the future.

kumar

GT Owner
Jan 31, 2007
Dallas
I dont plan on doing any launches from a stop but I do plan to race the piss out of it. :eek:

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I have about 75 to 100 somewhat agressive launches (2500 to 3000 RPM)on the car as I autocroseed the GT about 5 to 6 times with about 14 runs average (did 20+ runs at Rally II). I usually then grab second fairly agressively too (but I do let the gas out, fully engage the clutch, shift, and then let the clutch out fast (but no side stepping). So far the OEM clutch at 730 RWHP is holding up fine.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
i know you bought a stillen

have u put it in yet?

no, not yet , no need for it, I though I did a number on my clutch at the track but it just over heated and everything was fine, so the stillen sits in my garage for the inevitable day,

even with 825 to the wheels , the stock clutch is holding up ok, ofcourse now that I have said that, ..... Kumar, it will all your fault if it goes anytime soon.:biggrin

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
no, not yet , no need for it, I though I did a number on my clutch at the track but it just over heated and everything was fine, so the stillen sits in my garage for the inevitable day,

even with 825 to the wheels , the stock clutch is holding up ok, ofcourse now that I have said that, ..... Kumar, it will all your fault if it goes anytime soon.:biggrin

that's because you have no tire behind it. My stock clutch died within minutes of the Hoosiers going on.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
that's because you have no tire behind it. My stock clutch died within minutes of the Hoosiers going on.

I do a lot of 2nd gear pulls and I have almost no spin, so tires are not an issue in my case.