Help For Windshield Pitting?

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'm on my second windshield (first one took a rock driving to Rally 6 in Austin), and it sure seems to me it has taken a beating. I'm referring to pitting that really shows itself when I drive into the sun. :frown

Is there some kind of product that is designed to help minimize the small pits, make them "blend in" better with the surface? I'm thinking like a glaze or a polish does for the paint. It's too late to apply a clear protective film.

I know there are glass polish systems, but I don't have scratches to deal with, just the normal pitting a windshield takes on the road.

Thanks guys.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
I don't think there's anything out there that will help with pitting. Fine scratches and hard water spots can be polished out, but once you develop pitting, the only remedy is new glass. But as you mentioned, if you do get another windshield, I'd think about investing in the clear film. I didn't do it because I was told the clarity suffers, particularly on glass with more curvature such as on the GT.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I'd think about investing in the clear film. I didn't do it because I was told the clarity suffers, particularly on glass with more curvature such as on the GT.

I believe Stormcat was an early adaptor of clear film for his windshield and has several posts on this matter.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I had problems with replacement glass being even more susceptible to pitting (from our winter gravel, "grit" as they call it on Top Gear). I was told that such glass may be "softer" and thus more susceptible. Always specify OEM manufacturer glass. I'm not sure there is anything but OEM glass for the GT though.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yeah I have OEM glass for #2.
There is a ton of info on the clear film here. Read most all of it. Just don't see putting it on other than a new piece.
BTW, what's the going price of the OEM windshield now? $1,000 back in 2010 is what I paid via a dealer who did the install.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You just cannot beat the windshield skin. StormCat did a great thing on this one.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah I have OEM glass for #2.
There is a ton of info on the clear film here. Read most all of it. Just don't see putting it on other than a new piece.
BTW, what's the going price of the OEM windshield now? $1,000 back in 2010 is what I paid via a dealer who did the install.

A lot of that cost was labor. The fenders have to be removed (well technically probably not off the car, but disconnected. There are also other things that have to be disconnected, absolutely the fuel filler release and probably the trunk release on the driver's side. It takes some time.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Kevin -

I got a stone on I-40 going to the Arizona GT Getaway Weekend, so I'll be going for my 3rd windshield. I too have noticed the pitting which occurs under everyday driving conditions, and have not been happy about it. I'm sure it's due to fine suspended particles in the air, as I have also seen it on my truck and Mustang.

For the GT, I will be having a 3M Windshield Protection film put on the new windshield at the GT Guys in late July. It's not clear bra, as clear bra will give a visual distortion. Rather, it is specifically designed for windshields, with no distortion. You can look them up on 3M's website.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Thanks Ralphie Boy.
Maybe I need to go for number three after the Rally and then go protective film.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
After the Rally I am having a new windshiled with the new film installed. Piana did most of the major pitting for me when I followed too close on one of our NorCal drives. And since I'll probably be stuck behind him agian at the Rally, I'm waiting until after for the new windshield.

Ed

PS I have almost 44,000 miles on the OEM windshield! It is in bad shape.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Whats the name and source for a windshield film? thanks

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Sounds like our windshields hold up about as well as our gauges. I just turned 12,000 miles and my windshield looks like a minefield.
I remember someone saying that due to the low production numbers, the windshields are essentially "pre-production" quality. I have no idea if this is true, but I have never experienced such bad pitting on such a low mileage vehicle. Additionally, the rake of the windshield is so severe, you would think it would be less inclined to pitting.
Anyone know why our windshields are so soft?:confused

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Maybe the windshield are the same as most cars, but because the car is so low the windshield is more likely to get hit with debris.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Pro tip! Don't ever follow a car running Hoosiers.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
RaceDeck, please do a search for the windshield skin. StormCat was at SEMA in Vegas years ago and found the place that made them. A NASCAR window film place that made tearoffs if I am not mistaken. They made a template and many of us bought them right away. The final experience was it depended on who installed it as to how good it came out. Seems that window tinters did better than body protection appliers. Bony was pissed at the manufacturer for quite some time, but it boiled down to the application process. I've had mine on for almost 7 years with little dings and pits, but it has saved the glass on numerous occasions. The introductory price at the time was $125 and I bought two.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I installed Clearplex on my windshield. So far so good. It wasn't cheap however it is optically clear (mostly) and likely will save me some money in the long run. The product isn't overly expensive its the labour to install. I was told the GT windshields are one of hardest to do.

The installer makes a huge difference, and I would agree that likely a window tint guy would be best, or try looking for someone that installs wraps or signs on cars. One of the guys here in Edmonton did it himself and it looks great. However he had installed lots of signs on cars etc.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I to have the film skin on my windshield.Have had it on for six years it works great

How well does it work if you use your windshield wipers? Have any of you actually driven in the rain with the Clearplex installed? What happens when the wipers smear wet dust and bugs all over it?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
How well does it work if you use your windshield wipers? Have any of you actually driven in the rain with the Clearplex installed? What happens when the wipers smear wet dust and bugs all over it?

Another issue besides clarity is the potential to mar the clear film when you use wipers, i.e. causing fine scratches similar to ones on paint with improper washing techniques. Then again, I'd venture to guess 99% of members here never drive in the rain, so probably a non-issue for most:)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

Wipers are not really a problem. Ran windshield skin for 5 years. Lots of rain exposure- I'm in Seattle.