Help For Windshield Pitting?

What was it?

Will get the exact product name this weekend when the new one is applied.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'm having my 2nd windshield protector put on this week. Had the first one for about 6 years. The windshield underneath is pristine. Minimal visual distortion with the product.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I've got Clearplex on mine I've been very happy with it. When it was first installed, I could see some 'waves', but no issues after it had some time in the sun (which you've got a lot of!). Get a good installer, our glass is heavily curved which does not lend itself to an easy flat laydown.

All you guys who've had good luck with a protection film: please specify the manufacturer of your windshield skin. This thread has included a number of mfg (some out of business it seems), and a recommendation without specific reference to the mfg is not much help ....

Especially those of you who drive in the rain and have had no problems, which product are you using?

Thanks!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Will get the exact product name this weekend when the new one is applied.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Whats the name and source for a windshield film? thanks

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The fenders have to be removed (well technically probably not off the car, but disconnected.
...a factoid that still 'bugs' me. 'Really didn't need to be that way. 'Easiest solution would have been to widen the 'trunk lid' itself laterally - from the outside edge of left fender to the outside edge of the right fender and continuing rearward toward the windshield, starting at a point approx 3 or 4 inches (or whatever) forward of the "A" pillars so that when the trunk lid was opened, what we now see as part of the 'fenders' in the area around the "A" pillars would be lifted completely out of the way during windshield swaps.

For the life of me I can't understand why something like that wasn't done.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Sounds like our windshields hold up about as well as our gauges. I just turned 12,000 miles and my windshield looks like a minefield.
I remember someone saying that due to the low production numbers, the windshields are essentially "pre-production" quality. I have no idea if this is true, but I have never experienced such bad pitting on such a low mileage vehicle. Additionally, the rake of the windshield is so severe, you would think it would be less inclined to pitting.
Anyone know why our windshields are so soft?:confused

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Maybe the windshield are the same as most cars, but because the car is so low the windshield is more likely to get hit with debris.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Pro tip! Don't ever follow a car running Hoosiers.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So clearplex has a cut for us? I've asked them a million times at sema....

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
So clearplex has a cut for us? I've asked them a million times at sema....
Yes, they do. Problem, at least here locally, is no one will install it.