Help For Windshield Pitting?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Most installers just buy the sheet material and trim it to size, rather than be constricted with a precut pattern - the GT Guys have an installer that does it that way.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
You may want to speak with Bart or Steve Wilson from Racing Optics. They designed the first laminated tearoff films for NASCAR. Tell them that you are interested in a single layer protective film. They had also invented a IR (infrared) blocking film which uses silver between two layers to reflect the IR (that's the part of the sunlight spectrum that causes your dashboard to get very hot! I am not sure if they decided to market this film. I had tested prototypes many years ago and it is excellent, it will save wear and tear on your A/C and dashboard. One problem may be with our windshield as mentioned by someone earlier as if it curved in both directions. The thicker films can only bend in one direction. You want the film applied after the windshield is installed as MAD IN NC suggested. Let us know if you learn anything. Tell them that Jay from San Clemente sent you! Good luck.

http://www.racingoptics.com/

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
RaceDeck, please do a search for the windshield skin. StormCat was at SEMA in Vegas years ago and found the place that made them. A NASCAR window film place that made tearoffs if I am not mistaken. They made a template and many of us bought them right away. The final experience was it depended on who installed it as to how good it came out. Seems that window tinters did better than body protection appliers. Bony was pissed at the manufacturer for quite some time, but it boiled down to the application process. I've had mine on for almost 7 years with little dings and pits, but it has saved the glass on numerous occasions. The introductory price at the time was $125 and I bought two.

Colton74

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
I installed Clearplex on my windshield. So far so good. It wasn't cheap however it is optically clear (mostly) and likely will save me some money in the long run. The product isn't overly expensive its the labour to install. I was told the GT windshields are one of hardest to do.

The installer makes a huge difference, and I would agree that likely a window tint guy would be best, or try looking for someone that installs wraps or signs on cars. One of the guys here in Edmonton did it himself and it looks great. However he had installed lots of signs on cars etc.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I to have the film skin on my windshield.Have had it on for six years it works great

How well does it work if you use your windshield wipers? Have any of you actually driven in the rain with the Clearplex installed? What happens when the wipers smear wet dust and bugs all over it?

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
How well does it work if you use your windshield wipers? Have any of you actually driven in the rain with the Clearplex installed? What happens when the wipers smear wet dust and bugs all over it?
Another issue besides clarity is the potential to mar the clear film when you use wipers, i.e. causing fine scratches similar to ones on paint with improper washing techniques. Then again, I'd venture to guess 99% of members here never drive in the rain, so probably a non-issue for most:)

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Wipers are not really a problem. Ran windshield skin for 5 years. Lots of rain exposure- I'm in Seattle.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
Been running Clearplex on mine since new, still perfect & optically clear.
I have a few in stock that are pre-cut for the GT if you need one.

Cheers
Trent

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have many thousands of miles on mine in the rain. No scratching. If you review the old thread on the skin, I posted that when we drove to VA for the Rally, something got on the windshield during the downpours while driving (maybe truck axle grease). A little toothpaste took it right off. Unless I tell you there is a skin on, you won't know it.

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Anyone know why the stock shields are so pit prone?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I remember the well for the stormcat option dried up. The stopped selling direct.

Saw these guys at sema, intend to buy. Glad to hear that others have used them.

http://www.clearplex.com/

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
I've got the Clearplex too. About 4 years (maybe 5) now. Still clear, still no pitting. Used with the wipers at least two dozen times with no scratches so far. VERY happy with it. FULL DISCLOSURE - when I first put it on, you could see some lines, but after a few days in the sun, those lines are gone. You can still see them if you're looking for them, but if you're looking 'through' the glass (rather than 'at' the glass), it's invisible.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone know why the stock shields are so pit prone?
Having seen my friend's glass without the clearplex, I don't think our windshields are any more pit prone than my 911 glass (which is the worst glass I've ever had for pitting, but doesn't seem to 'star' like my audi glass or my GF's Nissan). So maybe, like on the Porsche, it's a design thing, (maybe slightly 'softer' so it will pit rather than star/crack)?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I was under the impression that unlike clear paint film, the forming process on a complex curved windshield, is very involved. Actually more effort than the installation. Hence why a preformed pattern had relevance.

And like you said Rex, no one here either. I've talked to the rep several times, and he wont even do it. Haven't called him in a year, maybe time to see if anything has changed. The issue in MA is we have required comprehensive glass coverage (MA has strange insurance laws), so people have the mindset that windshields are "free", so don't care.....

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
For those of you interested in contacting or obtaining ClearPlex -

View attachment 37381

I got on their e-mail list at SEMA last fall.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I The issue in MA is we have required comprehensive glass coverage (MA has strange insurance laws), so people have the mindset that windshields are "free"%

Not entirely familiar with the particulars of MA, but you have some room as I am sure Michigan holds some sort of record in the 'We be dumb' dept. - attributable to a full time state legislature that seems fixated on implementing new laws to protect us against ourselves.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The issue in MA is we have required comprehensive glass coverage (MA has strange insurance laws), so people have the mindset that windshields are "free", so don't care.....
Same in FL. Windshield only. No deductible. I just don't want to have to do it again on the GT if I can avoid it.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thats funny....

attributable to a full time state legislature that seems fixated on implementing new laws to protect us against ourselves.
Exactly, which is why I would like to some year get this installed. I missed the product that came up through the forum many years ago.

Same in FL. Windshield only. No deductible. I just don't want to have to do it again on the GT if I can avoid it.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I'm on my second windshield (first one took a rock driving to Rally 6 in Austin), and it sure seems to me it has taken a beating. I'm referring to pitting that really shows itself when I drive into the sun. :frown

Is there some kind of product that is designed to help minimize the small pits, make them "blend in" better with the surface? I'm thinking like a glaze or a polish does for the paint. It's too late to apply a clear protective film.

I know there are glass polish systems, but I don't have scratches to deal with, just the normal pitting a windshield takes on the road.

Thanks guys.